Photo
- - - - -

Best option to backup and view RAW pictures while travelling?

travelling backup RAW CR2 laptop tablet storage editing

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 okuma

okuma

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:57 PM

We import onto a small lap top with a small outboard hard drive as secondary back up.

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 500, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#22 Azurreal

Azurreal

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:10 PM

I've been using a Surface Pro 4 for the last year and I gotta admit I've been happy with it.

Althought, as going from cruise to cruise, I'm not really using it to have a quick look at pictures/videos but just to unload the RAW.
I'm now considering switching to the Gnarbox or something similar.

#23 johnohuk

johnohuk

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:28 AM

I'm cheap, I bought off ebay a reconditioned ASUS Vivobook E203NA for £130, it has Olympus Viewer and Open Office loaded, not the quickest device but coupled with a USB 3 hub, SD card and ext SSD drive it previews/stores images/videos fine... plus its battery life is excellent for the flight. LR will run but its painfully slow but Oly viewer is fine as is VLC.

#24 DS256

DS256

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:01 AM

Like others such as WetPup, I use a 14" MACbook I bought cheap from Apple. I have LR installed and simply import my stills and videos into it's catalog. I also keep the contents of SD so I have 2 copies. I have enough SD's that I switch daily,

The MACbook also lets me keep up with the rest of the world since I don't normally travel with my cell phone.

When I get back home, I take the SD's and bring them into my normal workflow on my PC.

#25 stevee

stevee

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:31 PM

I agree with above opinions. MacBook Air 13 is a good partner for me in the travel.  If you are not on a tight budget, it can be your top choices. As for browsing RAW images, I prefer the RAW photo viewer on Mac. Maybe you can try this, 

#26 hyp

hyp

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 03:08 AM

I found that an ipad with 128gb is usually good enough for a 2 week holiday. I think you can now get 256GB iPad Pros. Editing in Affinity Photo is really nice, as it seems to be one of the only proper raw editors for iOS that lets you set White Balance precisely.

#27 Donald A

Donald A

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:48 AM

I shoot a lot of wildlife and am always paranoid about losing my photos on the road.  I bring enough memory cards and never delete the photos from the cards before I get home.  I copy the photos from the cards to my laptop and also copy them to an external SSD drive.  When going through the airport, I keep the cards with my camera, my laptop in a case, and the SSD drive in my pocket.  Overkill I know but the photos are irreplaceable.

#28 Donald A

Donald A

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:51 AM

I only shoot raw and use LR for editing.  I use freeware FastStone for quick viewing, culling, and renaming the files.

#29 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:17 AM

I have just been through this dilemma and considered the western digital wireless ssd but ultimately I always take a laptop with me so it did not make sense
I have an old macbook air with an sd card reader, new apple laptops no longer have usb 3 ports nor card readers so you need to get a usb c 3.1 cable or use wireless.
With cards of 128 gb and two slots I have no needs for extra cards for pictures
For video i have an external 2TB drive as otherwise I would fill both cards and laptop and there is a situation of single copy no back up but it gets too expensive or bulky otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#30 dave@immersed

dave@immersed

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:47 AM

My system has evolved over the years. Its a personal thing really, but the most important thing is to have a system that is consistent during a trip, so that you know exactly what you've done. I have never lost images due to failed SD cards or hard drives, but I have due to poor file management.

I do try to do some editing/cullling while on trips, it saves time when you get home and is also a good way to learn/improve while on a trip.

I have one of the WD wifi / card reading hard drives; its a great idea, and fine for short trips, but I found it frustrating for longer trips and I missed having my MacBook for "logical" file management. I found it good for stills, but completely useless for video as it doesn't allow smooth playback of videos to an iPad, even an iPad Pro.

I use Lightroom and FCP at home, so I like to use the same when travelling. Once you know how to use these systems "on the go" then it makes it much easier to incorporate libraries etc from your laptop to your desktop once you get home.

My MacBook is primarily for travelling, so I clear almost all media before the trip, but it still fills up if you don't do some file management during the trip.

Stills are not really an issue, its video that makes it hard. My current solution is to use (expensive) external SSD for video. This fast drive allows me to store externally and create a referenced FCP library, leaving the Macbook's storage for proxy/rendered files and stills.

I make a second untouched copy to a regular external hard drive for peace of mind before clearing SD cards..

Edited by dave@immersed, 20 November 2018 - 04:49 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: travelling, backup, RAW, CR2, laptop, tablet, storage, editing