3 replies to this topic

#1 OwenLyonsDiver

OwenLyonsDiver

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

Hi 

I've recently bought an Olympus TG-5 and took it diving (It's been great so far). However, without a housing it is only depth rated to 15m. I want to buy a housing however there are two choices. I could get the official Olympus housing or an Ikelite housing. I was wondering which people thought would be better to get. 

I also want to get an arms and strobes. I was wondering what people thought would be the best to go with this setup?

Thanks!!! 20170909-P9090728.jpg

#2 Roger-Botting

Roger-Botting

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

Do get a housing before you flood the camera.
I know people who use the Olympus housing with continuous lights. Some of the get great results. The water is a bit dark here.
I use Ikelite housings and flashes. They work well but do remember that they are part of a system and to switch systems can get expensive.

#3 OwenLyonsDiver

OwenLyonsDiver

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 06:56 AM

Do get a housing before you flood the camera.
I know people who use the Olympus housing with continuous lights. Some of the get great results. The water is a bit dark here.
I use Ikelite housings and flashes. They work well but do remember that they are part of a system and to switch systems can get expensive.

Thanks for the reply Roger! Which ikelite strobe would you recommend (that I could buy relatively cheap second hand)?

Thanks 

Owen 

#4 EvilOtter

EvilOtter

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 08:34 AM

Several retailers offer a compact and inexpensive package that includes an Olympus housing, YS-03 strobe, fibre optic cable, tray and locline arm. My wife uses this setup with the TG-4 and has been very happy with it. If you plan to upgrade to a mirrorless or DSLR setup in the future, you may wish to invest in a higher quality strobe now to avoid rebuying.

Scuba Diving Adventures in Roatán, Honduras

Please visit my YouTube channel: Fish Nerd Films

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Olympus, TG-5, arms, strobes, housing