28 replies to this topic

#21 eyu

eyu

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

I do not know the Ikelite ports.  

But the 28-85 mm f 2.8-4D IF will fit into the Subal flat port V3 that I use with my Nikkor 105 mm VR or my Nikkor 60 mm with an extension.

If the Ikelite FL port that you have works with a Nikkor 105, it should work with the 28-85 mm f2.8-4D IF lens too. 

Elmer

Nikon D800E, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS & Carbon Arms

#22 JeremyGelber

JeremyGelber

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:36 PM

The Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF AF will NOT fit because the lens diameter is too big.

The Nikon 24-­85mm f/3.5-­4.5G IF ED does fit and can zoom.

The Nikon 24-­85mm f/3.5-­4.5G ED VR also fits but is too big to zoom so can only be used at a fixed focal length.

Here's the thing: I cannot for the life of me figure out what the difference between the two 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G lens is. I haven't been able to find them. If I go to the B&H website and search for "Nikon 24-85mm" I get only TWO lens come up: one is the f/2.8-4D priced at $740, the other is the f/3.5-4.5G ED VR priced at $500. There doesn't seem to be a lens called the "IF ED" that I can find yet the Ikelite port chart (http://www.ikelite.c...port-charts.pdf) specifically lists two lenses.

Does anyone have any idea why they list these two lenses when it seems that only one exists? Is it possible there were two in the past and Nikkor stopped producing one, in which case there is now a mismatch in naming convention?

#23 JeremyGelber

JeremyGelber

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:51 PM

Actually I've just sent an email to Ikelite on the subject - they're bound to know.

#24 JeremyGelber

JeremyGelber

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:47 AM

Just a quick update, here's the reply from Ikelite:

--------------- START ---------------

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your support of Ikelite products.

According to my records, Nikon updated the ED lens to add VR in late 2012. Unfortunately the raised switch on the side of the VR version prevents zoom operation with this particular lens. So the lens you reference B&H site can be used without zoom.

A popular zoom lens for full frame cameras is the Nikon 16-35mm f/4 which can be used with the 8” dome and does allow zoom underwater.

Regards,

Jean

--------------- END ---------------

So that's the definitive answer. The Nikon 24-85mm is NOT compatible with the housing if you want to zoom underwater although it WILL fit at a fixed focal length. This is as a result of the slight re-design Nikon did.

As far as I'm concerned, that might be good enough: I want a medium zoom for portraits, that's where this all began. This particular lens is considerably cheaper than some of the others I have been looking at, and gets superb reviews above water. I would be able to use it underwater at various lengths, and 24mm isn't at all bad if I want a wide angle lens for my dives. Sure, it isn't 18mm but a compromise needs to be made somewhere. It also jives well with the "choose what you want BEFORE you go diving" theory; stick in a particular zoom distance and live with it.

What I may also do is consider bringing my Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro lens on the next trip. Then I've got the whole lot covered: 24mm wide using the dome port from the new 24-85mm lens, 50mm prime with a flat port which I'm already familiar with from my Amilla Fushi trip, and the 105mm macro for real close ups.

I shall start a new thread to ask about dioptres and flat vs dome!

Thanks everyone for you input.

#25 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:46 PM

Have a look at the trick used in this thread to zoom a fatter lens than usually is possible. "Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM", which Ikelite port?

https://r.tapatalk.c...55&share_type=t

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 70D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#26 JeremyGelber

JeremyGelber

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:00 AM

Excellent link! Thank you so much :notworthy: 

#27 CamelToad

CamelToad

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

I agree with pretty much everything Tim posted, including the top 3 lenses underwater - I have the same three and can't think of anything I would rather have. I wasn't too sure about the 16-35, but it's fantastic. D810 & 16-35:

28732007346_e73086c657_c.jpg

That 105 you have will make really amazing headshots. I shot this one with my D810 and Nikon 105/2.8 micro 

27904381512_dbe379ee90_c.jpg

-James

Flickr | 500px (some nsfw in both)

#28 JeremyGelber

JeremyGelber

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:08 PM

Went with a Tokina 100mm in the end. Stunning reviews for a good value macro lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 TimG

TimG

Giant Squid

• 1732 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:40 PM

Went with a Tokina 100mm in the end. Stunning reviews for a good value macro lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with it, Jeremy. We look forward to seeing some cracking photos!

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957