• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FaceOnEgg

FaceOnEgg

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:53 AM

After diving with the PT-058 housing and KitDive tray I had some annoyances that I wanted to fix.

• Camera mode knob is difficult to turn with 5mm gloves on.
  • Need camera trigger from camera tray handle
  • Zoom knob not easily accessible from tray handle
  • lens cover floats around and gets into image

I 3D printed some mods out of PLA that have been great, I've dived with the knob and camera trigger a couple times but am excited to try out the lens holder and zoom knob.

Attached Images

• IMG_0594.JPG
  • IMG_0590.JPG
  • IMG_0592.JPG
  • IMG_0593.JPG

#2 briantrice

briantrice

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:49 PM

Will you be making any of these parts and selling them? I love the shutter trigger located on the handle. What tray is that you are using? 

#3 FaceOnEgg

FaceOnEgg

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 07:27 AM

The shutter trigger and lens cap holder have been working great, have gone on 40-50 dives with them. The zoom trigger I ended up getting rid of, it doesn't have good retention mechanism in the current design. I made them on my own 3D printer that I have, if you are interested message me and I could print a set for sale. 

The tray is from CamDive (Type B) that I got from Amazon: https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1

#4 joftoday

joftoday

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:35 PM

Hi, I have the same camera/housing and tray. Is the trigger still working well for you? Thanks!

#5 tursiops

tursiops

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 05:48 PM

I solved some of the problems by reversing the tray so the handle is on the left, and no using the lens cap.

#6 joftoday

joftoday

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:37 PM

But if you want to use two handles (because you have two lights and want to have a nice steady grip on the whole rig, getting to the shutter trigger is hard. A trigger on the right handle would be awesome. 

#7 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:51 PM

But if you want to use two handles (because you have two lights and want to have a nice steady grip on the whole rig, getting to the shutter trigger is hard. A trigger on the right handle would be awesome. 

I recently came across this on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpre...2882123729.html- ordered one for my Sony A6xxx housing; it should arrive in a few weeks and then I'll be able to report on how well it works in practice.

#8 joftoday

joftoday

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 05:05 PM

I recently came across this on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpre...2882123729.html- ordered one for my Sony A6xxx housing; it should arrive in a few weeks and then I'll be able to report on how well it works in practice.

This trigger looks pretty nice - tempted to get it as well. But as configured in the photos, it looks like the mechanism that actually depresses the shutter will interfere with the zoom mechanism on the TG-5. You may be able to reverse how it's mounted, though. I don't own the Sony so I don't know where the zoom mechanism is. Will you have a look when you get it, and please let me know? Thanks!

Edited by joftoday, 24 July 2018 - 05:07 PM.

#9 joftoday

joftoday

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 05:09 PM

After diving with the PT-058 housing and KitDive tray I had some annoyances that I wanted to fix.

• Camera mode knob is difficult to turn with 5mm gloves on.
  • Need camera trigger from camera tray handle
  • Zoom knob not easily accessible from tray handle
  • lens cover floats around and gets into image

I 3D printed some mods out of PLA that have been great, I've dived with the knob and camera trigger a couple times but am excited to try out the lens holder and zoom knob.

Let me know if you're open to making more parts for the shutter and zoom mechanisms. Thanks!

#10 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 29 July 2018 - 02:30 PM

For a DIY Olympus Tought tray that solves these problems, please see:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=62587

#11 FaceOnEgg

FaceOnEgg

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:10 PM

Hi, I have the same camera/housing and tray. Is the trigger still working well for you? Thanks!

The trigger has been working well though the lever arm did break once (jamming on it to hard trying to get the perfect shot  :innocent: ). I printed another with 100% infill and haven't had any issues since. There is enough throw in the trigger that it's pretty easy to control half-press to focus before activating the shutter which was really helpful for timing shots. The zoom lever attachment popped off after awhile though. I ended up just getting used to reaching around to adjust zoom. While not ideal it could be epoxied on. The lens cap holder has been great with no issues. I upgraded to a larger camera system a couple months ago but probably got at least 150+ dives on the TG-5. I still plan on using the TG5 for lighter travel like for going snorkeling/free-diving.

This trigger looks pretty nice - tempted to get it as well. But as configured in the photos, it looks like the mechanism that actually depresses the shutter will interfere with the zoom mechanism on the TG-5. You may be able to reverse how it's mounted, though. I don't own the Sony so I don't know where the zoom mechanism is. Will you have a look when you get it, and please let me know? Thanks!

The trigger lever bottoms out just above the zoom swivel so that's why the zoom attachment goes around it to prevent any interference.

Let me know if you're open to making more parts for the shutter and zoom mechanisms. Thanks!

I'd be happy to share the 3d *.STL files, I've uploaded them to thingiverse here:  https://www.thingive...m/thing:3030704

#12 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 12:59 AM

I got the trigger assembly from Nitescuba - it actually took a whole two months to get here, as they shipped it by PostNL, and it got stuck in the Netherlands for a whole month before getting loaded on a flight to Israel. Fitting it to my housing was a bit of a challenge - the ball mount post base turned out to be too wide to pass between the prongs of the trigger's mounting plate, which was solved by an angle grinder, and the tray handle wasn't tall enough for the trigger lever to reach the housing's shutter button, which was solved by inserting an approximately 1cm spacer between the tray base and the handle. Once mounted, it worked perfectly, allowing me to swim and take photos while holding the camera rig by both handles.

#13 Chopcat

Chopcat

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:architecture,hot rods,choppers, flying,woodworking

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:14 AM

Great idea and I have had a go at a similar version to work with the Weefine tray which needed a cranked arm because of where you fix to the tray.

Had the first dive with it yesterday and it makes life much easier on the fingers.  Next in sketchup is a zoom lever for it.

TC

trigger-2.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: olympus, TG-5