5 replies to this topic

#1 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:39 AM

Hello dear video gurus!

My buddy and cameraman is ready to pull the trigger to switch from the bulky Hartenberger HID video lights to Keldan 8M CRI or 8X.

Here some technical information about them:

Keldan 8M CRI

CRI: 95

Lumen: 8000

Candela 5400

Kelvin: 5600
Beam: 90°

Keldan 8X

CRI: unknown

Lumen: 10000

Candela 4300

Kelvin: 5000
Beam: 110°

After he spent hours investigating there are 2 doubts left to decide between the 8M or the 8X:

1° How important is the CRI? Does the 8M CRI version will lead to better colors or can the colors be adjusted with wihite balance and color grading during post production?

I believe that the CRI matters and it would be worth to order the 8M CRI version, but i am not really sure about that

2° Is the difference of 2000 lumen at a 20° wider beam considerable more or not really useful in illumainating distance?

I believe that 2000 lumen at 20° wider beam don't make a noticable difference in distance (but obviously in width)

Size and the less delicate housing with out the bulky dome of the 8M CRI would make the decision towards the 8X,
but the lower CRI may be a issue.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Chris

Nikon D800 + Sigma 15mm + Nikon 105mm Micro VR + Hugyfot Housing + 3 Inon Z-240 strobes + 2x2 8'' ULCS arms - Panasonic LX100 + Nauticam Housing + SubSea +10 diopter
Nikon D90 + Ikelite housing + Ikelite DS125 strobe (for sale) - Nikon D7000 + Hugyfot housing (for sale) 
Canon G1X + Canon OEM housing (sold) - Canon G12 + Patima aluminium housing  (for sale) - - Fuji E900 + Ikelite housing (for sale)
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#2 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2251 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:49 PM

The 8X CRI is quoted at 82 in some places, but not the Keldan website.

What does he want to shoot? Higher CRI may be more important for colorful reefs and less important for caves and wrecks.

Bear in mind that cyan modules only seem to be available for the 8M, although I can't find those on his website and I wonder if they've been discontinued. Those might not interest you but they certainly interest me.

#3 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1040 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:20 AM

Bear in mind that cyan modules only seem to be available for the 8M, although I can't find those on his website and I wonder if they've been discontinued. Those might not interest you but they certainly interest me.

Still listed: 

http://keldanlights....ghts/index.html

I'm tempted by a set of Cyan modules too

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rigs: Nauticam BMPCC4K, Nauticam Lumix GH5, 14-42mm II, Nauticam WWL-1, Atomos Inferno and DivePro G18 Plus Lighting. Underwater Insta360 One X.

www.richardwait.com / Custom 3D Designed UW Parts

#4 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:20 AM

Hi,

thanks for your replys!

He is not doing caves, sometimes our wrecks, but mainly reefs and colorful stuff and he is not interested in cyan, red or UV heads.

Just simple white light for shooting everything.

When i am remembering right;
every double increase of illumination power increases the illumination distance one forth moore in clear water.
So going from 5000 lumen to 10'000 lumen should give 5 ft. of illumination distance than 4 ft' with 5000 lumen.

I understand that this is just a raw calculation and depend greatly of visibility/clearness.

Thanks

Chris

Nikon D800 + Sigma 15mm + Nikon 105mm Micro VR + Hugyfot Housing + 3 Inon Z-240 strobes + 2x2 8'' ULCS arms - Panasonic LX100 + Nauticam Housing + SubSea +10 diopter
Nikon D90 + Ikelite housing + Ikelite DS125 strobe (for sale) - Nikon D7000 + Hugyfot housing (for sale) 
Canon G1X + Canon OEM housing (sold) - Canon G12 + Patima aluminium housing  (for sale) - - Fuji E900 + Ikelite housing (for sale)
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#5 Atobit

Atobit

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:53 AM

Per my understanding the Cyan module was designed for color accuracy within 20m depth, that should explain the 5000 lumens "only".
If it is power that matter the 8X would be your choice.

Otherwise, The dome of the CRI light is not as fragile as it looks like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 Davide DB

Davide DB

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 02:36 AM

Hi Chris,

Few days ago we were commenting Keldan CRI lights. This was my thought:

http://wetpixel.com/...=56368&p=365285

I have the older version but I guess it's irrelevant.

Moreover, Keldan is one of the few (maybe the only one) I would trust on Lumen specs...

Good luck

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/