• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jfe

jfe

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 11:42 PM

I’ve noticed droplets in my Ikelite housing (Canon T2i) on previous dives and put it down to condensation from the heat buildup, normal I suppose. I usually put 2 x silica packs in the housing. This past weekend I did a long dive but didn’t put the silca pack in. After the dive I noticed water in my housing, about 1-2 ml if I have to guess. I’ve put new o-rings in the day before and did 2 night dives and this particular dive was the next morning and never opened the housing. Is this something that does happen, the amount of condensate present in the housing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2212 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 23 October 2018 - 01:16 AM

That seems like a lot of condensation. Could you tell if the water was salty? Any residue?

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#3 Larry C

Larry C

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 23 October 2018 - 06:26 AM

Probably not condensation.  Last time that happened to me, I thought the same thing.  Then had a major flood because the recently serviced housing had a sync port that was finger tight and wobbling.  Maybe put a weight and a large wad of paper in the housing, toss it in the sink, swish it around and leave it for a couple of hours.  Then pull it out and see where the paper is wet.

D500 NA-D500, D300 MDX-D300, 2X YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 105mm AF-D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 800/1200

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro

#4 jfe

jfe

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 09:25 AM

Thanks. Had it in the tub submerged for about 24hr and dry inside, but I did remove the camera first.
I think vacuum is my future, the housing doesn’t have a vacuum port yet, will this assist as a safeguard?

#5 hyp

hyp

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 10:08 AM

Vacuum is amazing for peace of mind. Not very expensive either considering what you are getting.

#6 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2212 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 23 October 2018 - 02:08 PM

Vacuum valve? No-brainer!

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#7 Larry C

Larry C

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:12 AM

Go for the vacuum.  When I bought my new Nauticam I resisted, because it seemed like just one more pre-dive thing to do, but it's great for your peace of mind when you drop down and that little green light is still on.  No more guessing.

D500 NA-D500, D300 MDX-D300, 2X YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 105mm AF-D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 800/1200

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro

#8 sunnyboy010101

sunnyboy010101

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:37 PM

The real value of the vacuum valve, IMO, is when you are unsure of something. For example, last week I assembled everything as usual, but for some reason the back wouldn't 'seat' without a few attempts. Even though I knew in the end it was seated and latched properly, without the vacuum valve I would have taken it all apart a few times 'just to be sure'. With the vacuum valve, once I could see the o-ring and seal looked good, I just turned it on and pulled the vacuum. Then the flashing green light all day simply confirmed all was well.

So no more second-guessing and worrying and redoing things over and over. It's all about peace of mind. :-)

#9 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:46 PM

Agree the vacuum valve gives great peace of mind.

BTW, heat does not cause condensation, it occurs when humid air is trapped inside the housing and then condenses when the housing cools.  The water must be inside the housing already unless you have a leak.

#10 jfe

jfe

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:12 PM

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback