16 replies to this topic

#1 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:51 AM

Hey

So I took some left over streamers from my recent shoot with Annika and used them in an underwater dancing shoot.

I used 2 king sized sheets as a black backing for the wall and these were held together with safety pins and rocks :)

I used a single d2000 strobe as a topside strobe. It was sticky taped to the side of a 2l coke bottle and pointed at the models. However, I couldnt get the fibre optics to trigger regularly so some photos were just completely blown out whilst others were underexposed >3ev

I used 2 x ds 51 strobes as the main lighting in TTL.

The male model (mike) was wearing a wetsuit under his suit!

no 1

Posted Image

no 2 - this one will probably end up with text in the black area.

Posted Image

no 3

Posted Image

no 4

Posted Image

no 5 - corny , i know, but I had to post it!

Posted Image

no 6

Posted Image

Oh and the water was freezing!!!!!!!

Hope you enjoyed them!

Cheers

Cal

Edited by Cal, 27 May 2009 - 06:56 AM.

http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4573 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:43 AM

Hey

So I took some left over streamers from my recent shoot with Annika and used them in an underwater dancing shoot.

I used 2 king sized sheets as a black backing for the wall and these were held together with safety pins and rocks :)

I used a single d2000 strobe as a topside strobe. It was sticky taped to the side of a 2l coke bottle and pointed at the models. However, I couldnt get the fibre optics to trigger regularly so some photos were just completely blown out whilst others were underexposed >3ev

I used 2 x ds 51 strobes as the main lighting in TTL.

The male model (mike) was wearing a wetsuit under his suit!

no 1

Posted Image

no 2 - this one will probably end up with text in the black area.

Posted Image

no 3

Posted Image

no 4

Posted Image

no 5 - corny , i know, but I had to post it!

Posted Image

no 6

Posted Image

Oh and the water was freezing!!!!!!!

Hope you enjoyed them!

Cheers

Cal

She looks cold Cal; not smiling like the others. Interesting; I'd try adding a backlight of sorts.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1359 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:37 AM

Nice, I like the black background and use of the surface reflections as part of the composition.

Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com

Nauticam, Subal, Sea & Sea, Olympus, Seacam, Gates, Ikelite, Zen, Fix, 10Bar, Kraken, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories. System Packages. Photo Expeditions.

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog - Flickr Galleries: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:06 PM

There's a guy in the photos? I just see a floating head ;-)

But seriously, I use a red background when my models wear black, and the black background for most other stuff.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:43 PM

Oh she wasn't smiling because I told not too! haha. It was cold but not cold enough to stop that smile!

James - the head does look a bit floaty doesnt it? hmmm....I'll have to come up with a better way of showing him. The problem was that the sheet i was slightly blue so I had to dull it down in curves which had the undesirable side effect of turning his suit black i.e. invisible.

Cheers

Cal

#6 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3849 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

Great shots, but half her body is missing :)
Yeh black on black does not work.

Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos | www.flykam.com.au

#7 Stephen Colquitt

Stephen Colquitt

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:01 PM

Hey Cal - always enjoy checking out your images.

#3 is the strongest composition to my eye. I like the way he is inviting her down into the depths

#8 rbailey

rbailey

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:30 PM

As always great work.

Yet another top side trick but have you thought about puting a gel on the strobe ?

A full CTO (Color Temperature Orange) will help give some warmth colour back in to thier skin tone.
http://strobist.blog...k-that-cto.html
Both David Hobby and Joe McNally have good info on the WWW on this.

Cheers,
Richard B.
Camera : Canon 350 D. (8MP, D-SLR, APS-C.)
Housing : Ikelite eTTL hosuing.
Ports : 6" Dome, 8" Dome and Flat port and selection of extenstions.
Lenses : Sigma 10-20mm, 17-70mm Macro, 105mm Macro (with +4 diopter).
Stobes : 2 x Ikelite DS 125.
Arms : Ikelite, 18 inch quick release (LHS) and 8"+6" standard (LHS).
AND a Yellow Box Of Delights to breath from undewater and loads of other really fun stuff.

Check out ther results at :-

http://www.images-underwater.net/

#9 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:01 AM

Thanks guys!

Richard - I have though about that but need to get the basics perfect yet! I'm diving into off camera strobes now. Gels will come soon :-) So much to try.......so little time!

#10 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4573 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:04 AM

As always great work.

Yet another top side trick but have you thought about puting a gel on the strobe ?

A full CTO (Color Temperature Orange) will help give some warmth colour back in to thier skin tone.
http://strobist.blog...k-that-cto.html
Both David Hobby and Joe McNally have good info on the WWW on this.

Cheers,
Richard B.

I think you are correct in the sense that the pics could be a little warmer; though in this case simply done in camera or post WB. As these pics have a single light source.
The CTO concept that McNally et al speak of pertains more to playing with mixed ambient / strobe light sources.
Using gels is great to add color for effect, I have some examples here http://www.modelmayhem.com/579953
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#11 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:09 AM

True,

I could pretty easily warm the skin tones in lightroom or photoshop using white balance and colour correction

That is such an awesome portfolio!

Cal

#12 MatthewAddison

MatthewAddison

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:50 AM

How are you guys triggering your topside lighting? I thought I saw a thread here on WP but cant seem to find it. Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Nikon D3, S&S MDX-D3, S&S YS250 (2), Inon 45 viewfinder, ZEN underwater dome, 14mm, 17-35mm, 60mm, 110mm.
Outfitted courtesy of H2O Photo Pros - Newport Beach, CA
Visit My Website
Visit my educational not-for-profit foundation "saveourseas.tv"

A is A

#13 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:23 AM

I use simple optical sensors to trigger amphibious flashes that are mounted above water. Others on here use dedicated studio strobes triggered by a radio trigger which is connected to the underwater housing by a sync cord - or a 30' sync cord wired directly to a PC sync socket on the studio strobe.

Regards,
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#14 MatthewAddison

MatthewAddison

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:38 AM

I use simple optical sensors to trigger amphibious flashes that are mounted above water. Others on here use dedicated studio strobes triggered by a radio trigger which is connected to the underwater housing by a sync cord - or a 30' sync cord wired directly to a PC sync socket on the studio strobe.

Regards,
James

Thanks James. I like the radio trigger idea. Do you know if this is a custom item or an off the shelf piece?
Nikon D3, S&S MDX-D3, S&S YS250 (2), Inon 45 viewfinder, ZEN underwater dome, 14mm, 17-35mm, 60mm, 110mm.
Visit My Website

A is A

#15 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4573 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:58 AM

Thanks James. I like the radio trigger idea. Do you know if this is a custom item or an off the shelf piece?

Matthew,
I use a 30' Nikonos cord with an intermediate Nikonos bulkhead fitting to PC conversion piece that plugs into my base Pocket Wizard.
Ryan at Reef Photo can make both of these for you.
He can also place the bulkhead in a Pelican case if you choose, but I chose to forego the floating Pocket Wizard for simply taping the Pocket Wizard to a light stand. Until I get my Olympic Pool, the Nikonos cable is long enough.

Edited by loftus, 06 June 2009 - 06:18 AM.

#16 MatthewAddison

MatthewAddison

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:33 AM

Matthew,
I use a 30' Nikonos cord with an intermediate Nikonos bulkhead fitting to PC conversion piece that plugs into my base Pocket Wizard.
Ryan at Reef Photo can make both of these for you.
He can also place the bulkhead in a Pelican case if you choose, but I chose to forego the floating Pocket Wizard for simply taping the Pocket Wizard to a light stand. Until I get my Olympic Pool, the Nikonos cable is long enough.

It always comes back to Ryan doesn't it. Has MM been working out for you? I've been working with some of the agencies in NY but they get the wiggles when I mention pool work.
Visit My Website

A is A

#17 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4573 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:06 AM

It always comes back to Ryan doesn't it. Has MM been working out for you? I've been working with some of the agencies in NY but they get the wiggles when I mention pool work.

Yeah, Ryan's my go to guy. He probably dreads to take my calls, because who knows what I'll ask for next.
MM's OK and I've made some contacts, but more and more I'm working with models I know. I think good underwater models are a special group.