7 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Twain

Mark Twain

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:43 AM

Hi,

I have searched a lot for a proper snoot solution for one of my Inon Z-240s and basically I came across three solutions:

• fiber optic arms
  • something like Inon's own snoot solution (with other manufacturers having additionally a laser aiming light)
  • Retra

Which one would you prefer? Currently I am leaning towards the Retra given its flexibility. But how do you store the Retra when you decide to take a picture without it? Also it is really heavy (600g though I don't know how much in water).

Regards,

:uwphotog:

#2 Robin-D

Robin-D

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:26 AM

Hi Mark,

I'm currently using the Retra snoot. Although I haven't used it a lot yet, I must say I really like it. I used a "normal" snoot before, but I like the Retra much more. Since I have a Retra, the normal snoot hasn't been used any more.

With a normal snoot, I had to open my aperture towards F11-F13 while shooting at full power, that much light was lost.

With the Retra, I can use apertures like I'm used to when I'm not using a snoot, the light loss is minimal. Because the light loss is far less then with a normal snoot, you can also see the focus light much better. This makes aiming your snoot a lot easier, specially during the daytimes.

As for the weight: this is mostly a "problem" out of the water, underwater the Retra is negative for sure, but not very much.

I never take my Retra off the Z240 underwater, when I want to take a picture without a snoot, I turn on my second strobe (also Z240) 

good luck with your choise,

Robin

Edited by Robin-D, 27 February 2018 - 08:26 AM.

Nikon D300, subal ND30, Inon's Z240's, 10.5 10-17, 17-35, 60, 105, http://www.gaviiform...i...id=2&page=1

#3 Mark Twain

Mark Twain

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:35 AM

With the Retra, I can use apertures like I'm used to when I'm not using a snoot, the light loss is minimal. Because the light loss is far less then with a normal snoot, you can also see the focus light much better. This makes aiming your snoot a lot easier, specially during the daytimes.

As for the weight: this is mostly a "problem" out of the water, underwater the Retra is negative for sure, but not very much.

I never take my Retra off the Z240 underwater, when I want to take a picture without a snoot, I turn on my second strobe (also Z240)

Hi,

many thanks for your reply. I think I will go for the Retra. Nevertheless, I think when using a wide angle lens and not a macro I still want to take some snooted pictures (see the first picture here for an example of what I mean) every now and then - and if not, I have to take the Retra off. Well, we will see how everything works out in the end ;-)

I'm quite happy that you can confirm that the Z-240's modeling light is quite good visible.

Regards

Edited by Mark Twain, 27 February 2018 - 08:35 AM.

#4 DocTock

DocTock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:49 AM

I would suggest paying for the Retra snoot holder that Oskar sells when you buy the snoot.

It's expensive for a sack, but it allows one to clip the holder to your BCD so you can bring your snoot with you but not have to have it installed on your strobe at all times.

I've had and used the 10bar snoot (and was able to borrow a Retra on the same macro trip I was using the 10bar)

The 10bar laser sight, when lined up correctly (a bit of an issue on the original version), makes the snoot super easy to use. The tube pieces for altering the size of the snoot "spot" however were clumsy for me to alter during a dive. 

Now I own a Retra snoot.

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

#5 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1957 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:10 PM

I've just bought the Retra - it gets its 'first swim in a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to trying it out.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#6 JohnVila

JohnVila

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

Hi. Wondering if a z330 mount might be announced for the retra snoot? Oskar?

Cheers John

#7 Oskar@RetraUWT

Oskar@RetraUWT

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:43 AM

Hi. Wondering if a z330 mount might be announced for the retra snoot? Oskar?

Cheers John

Hi John, we haven't gotten our hands on a z330 to officially confirm but some have said that the z240 model fits the z330. 

Regarding the buoyancy: The LSD Ultimate is slightly negatively buoyant, around -30g underwater. 

Thanks

www.retra-uwt.com

#8 Mark Twain

Mark Twain

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:07 AM

Thank you all for your replies! I already ordered a Retra snoot and will use it on my dive trip to the Red Sea in June; I hope I can test it extensively prior to that in fresh water.

The snoot holder by Retra is a bit expensive for a nylon bag in my opinion. I'll have a look if I can make a DIY solution that fits my needs  ;-)