20 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

Details about Sony's upcoming NEX-3 APS-C rangefinder camera were leaked today by Digital Photography School. The new camera uses a Sony "E Series" lens mount and captures 14.2 megapixel images at 7 frames per second. APS-C-sized CMOS sensor. No details on video, but the specs do note that the camera will save videos in MP4.

It's great to see the revival of large imaging areas in compact cameras; previous to the recent proliferation of APS-C-sized sensors in small cameras, it was virtually impossible to capture a high-quality image using a compact digital camera. Continue reading for full specs and photos of the NEX-3.

Posted Image

Posted Image
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 davelew

davelew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:49 PM

That rear dial looks like a tilt, turn, and four-way press controller. Those often mean fewer underwater housings will be available, because of the complex linkages required.

As for video, the rumors are that the NEX3 will do 720p video, while the NEX5 will do 1080p video. The NEX5 is also supposed to have more fps. It will be interesting to see the accuracy of the leaked specs when Sony makes the official announcement tomorrow.

Edited by davelew, 10 May 2010 - 05:50 PM.

#3 fotoscubo714

fotoscubo714

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Boat diving
    Cold water diving
    Tropical location diving
    Freediving
    Ocean Kayaking
    Nitrox Tech diving
    CCR diving
    Digital and Film Photography (duh)
    HD Videography

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

That rear dial looks like a tilt, turn, and four-way press controller. Those often mean fewer underwater housings will be available, because of the complex linkages required.

As for video, the rumors are that the NEX3 will do 720p video, while the NEX5 will do 1080p video. The NEX5 is also supposed to have more fps. It will be interesting to see the accuracy of the leaked specs when Sony makes the official announcement tomorrow.

Be interesting to see how much market share these will take before Canon and Nikon come out with their own. If nothing else I'm sure third party lens adapters will be developed for these cameras.

Bo
7D and Oly E-PL1 (yet 2b housed) , D10 in upgraded Ike;
Sigma, Tokina and Tamron lenses.
Vintage film NikIII, 35mm & 2.1/4 housings.

#4 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:52 PM

These back-lit supposedly very sensitive new sensors sounds interesting. What do they actually promise in terms of nosie/sensitivity?

#5 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:35 AM

Regarding picture quality it looks way better than the current m4/3:

http://daten-lager.n...PL1-GF1-GH1.jpg

(It is probably also better than the current sony/nikon aps-c)
Marcell Nikolausz
Minolta Dynax 7000i, KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D, sony a100, Ikelite housing for 7000i and sony a100, two Ikelite Ai strobes
Portfolio: http://www.flickr.co...57604023368278/

#6 davelew

davelew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:56 AM

Be interesting to see how much market share these will take before Canon and Nikon come out with their own. If nothing else I'm sure third party lens adapters will be developed for these cameras.

Bo

The rumors I here are a Nikon EVIL camera in the September/October 2010 timeframe.

Canon seems to be trying to serve the same market with their S90 and G11 products, so they have less incentive to make an EVIL camera (Nikon making a product that eats into S90 and G11 sales is likely, Canon making a product that eats into S90 and G11 sales is less likely).

#7 jmauricio

jmauricio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:54 AM

According to my conversations with Canon, they are very interested in the mirrorless slr space and will have a product response.

#8 davelew

davelew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

Regarding picture quality it looks way better than the current m4/3:

http://daten-lager.n...PL1-GF1-GH1.jpg

(It is probably also better than the current sony/nikon aps-c)

Not everybody thinks there's such a large difference in quality.

from http://www.imaging-r.../NEX5/NEX5A.HTM

When we originally looked at the Sony NEX-5's high ISO images, we thought a new benchmark had been set. Indeed, the images do look pretty good, and may actually set a new high mark for overall quality, but these detail crops show that it's not quite a complete coup. The chief rivals for the top spot continue to be the T1i and E-P1 at ISO 100, and the E-P1 and T1i at ISO 3,200. At 3,200 the T1i renders more lines in the Lager letters, but that's partially a function of its slightly higher resolution (14.2 vs. 15.1). I'd say the Sony NEX-5 is probably the most even performer we've seen to date in this price and size range.

Also consider that this test is not independent of lens quality, focus errors, and other variables, so again take this mostly as a comparison of what each camera was able to do with the best standardized optics we can muster. The Samsung NX10 used its very sharp 30mm f/2 lens. The Olympus E-P1 and Panasonic G2 used the rather excellent Olympus Digital Zuiko 50mm f/2 Macro lens. The Sony NEX-5, Nikon and Canon used our laboratory-standard Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro lenses, which are very sharp.

The daten-lager images you link to show a huge difference in image quality at ISO3200. On the other hand, although imaging-resource likes the NEX-5 as among the top small cameras, they don't think there's a huge difference in image quality between the NEX-5 and some of the other top cameras.

I think the last paragraph is important. The measured performance of the camera body depends on the lens that is being used for the test. The images that you linked show a much larger difference between camera bodies than the images at imaging-resource, even though imaging-resource seems to be a huge fan of the NEX5, so I wonder about the setup for the tests.

#9 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

Not everybody thinks there's such a large difference in quality.

from http://www.imaging-r.../NEX5/NEX5A.HTM

The daten-lager images you link to show a huge difference in image quality at ISO3200. On the other hand, although imaging-resource likes the NEX-5 as among the top small cameras, they don't think there's a huge difference in image quality between the NEX-5 and some of the other top cameras.

I think the last paragraph is important. The measured performance of the camera body depends on the lens that is being used for the test. The images that you linked show a much larger difference between camera bodies than the images at imaging-resource, even though imaging-resource seems to be a huge fan of the NEX5, so I wonder about the setup for the tests.

The difference might be not that big but even the examples of the imaging-resources confirmed for me that the sony NEX is better at high iso than the m4/3 cameras. However, the high iso performance is not that important for the UW-photography . I'm sure that these NEX cameras deliver superb quality results at base iso and the system provides enough quality even for professional applications. I agree with you that the lenses has a major impact and the NEX system still needs a good macro lens (panasonic has it). The fisheye and wide angle converter is interesting concept but I'm a bit worried about the image quality.
Marcell Nikolausz
Minolta Dynax 7000i, KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D, sony a100, Ikelite housing for 7000i and sony a100, two Ikelite Ai strobes

#10 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:12 AM

Agree, adapters aside, it will be a lot more interesting when they release a few more lenses (e.g. a macro lens and a wide angle lens) since the adapter for current alpha series lenses does not support autofocus . . .

Edited by MikeO, 12 May 2010 - 10:14 AM.

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#11 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

Agree, adapters aside, it will be a lot more interesting when they release a few more lenses (e.g. a macro lens and a wide angle lens) since the adapter for current alpha series lenses does not support autofocus . . .

Posted ImagePosted Image

They already have a wide angle lens and fisheye lens mount on top of the 16mm F2.8 lens

#12 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2288 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:26 PM

That's one ugly camera.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#13 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:18 PM

That's one ugly camera.

Not so ugly. It remembers me the sony 707:
http://www.dpreview....ws/sonydscf707/
One of my friends still uses one and very happy with it.
Marcell Nikolausz

#14 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:16 AM

I just wish one of these cameras would have a built-in electronic viewfinder (not add-on), it's still my preferred way to compose an image.
Just hoping Nikon will do this when they get around to their EVIL cameras. Maybe even a built in flash that will work in commander mode with the Speedlight system.
I just want a Leica M9 at Japanese camera prices and with a few modern amenities like autofocus.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#15 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2288 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

I thought the Sony 707 was ugly as well.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#16 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:25 AM

I've just checked the homepage of ikelite and they are considering to make a housing for the NEX cameras. No further details yet.
I think they will make a standard housing body shell that can accommodate both NEX and MFT cameras using the same port system.
Marcell Nikolausz

#17 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:51 AM

"Rumors" at Long Beach Scuba Show indicated that Sony "may" be working on an UW housing for this camera. I sure hope it's true because NEX-5 with the 16mm (24mm) pancake will be an excellent setup for family scuba trips.

(edited to inline video -mod)

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#18 colinwen

colinwen

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Ichthyology focus

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:51 PM

Don't know if the shutter act speed of nex-5 is close to DSLR.
From the introduction, it remove the reflector to reduce the size.
Maybe it means the shutter react speed slow down a bit as well....

"Rumors" at Long Beach Scuba Show indicated that Sony "may" be working on an UW housing for this camera. I sure hope it's true because NEX-5 with the 16mm (24mm) pancake will be an excellent setup for family scuba trips.

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#19 renep

renep

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:51 PM

Tried it today. It's tiny, fast and works in low light. It's also cheap (700 CAN).

If they make a SMALL casing I'm tossing the G10 and the Oly 520 which feel like dinosaures now :)

Edited by renep, 03 June 2010 - 07:53 PM.

Rene Potvin

BTW I am presently going from Miami to Montreal on a kayak, you can follow me on my blog at http://miami2montreal.wordpress.com/
Do subscribe, I need the numbers for my sponsors, thanks!

www.renepotvin.com

#20 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:11 AM

Lens adapters on the way:

http://www.dpreview....ynexadapter.asp
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite