1 reply to this topic

#1 Peterpan

Peterpan

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:33 AM

Hello,

just bought the new Sony a6300 and i would like to take it underwater soon. I will get the new Nauticam housing for the 6300 which will ship end of Mai. So far, i just filmed a little with the GoPro and used my Canon 7D with a Ewa Marine bag. I would like to get some Sony Lenses to take advantage of the fabulous autofocus system of the camera (for now I use my Canon Lenses with the Metabones adapter).

Now it comes to the question which lense would be the best.

Sony 16-70mm f4 or Sony 16-35mm f4 combined with wet wide and macro converters would have the benefit of switching everything underwater if needed.

Or better the Sony 10-18mm f4 with a domeport and the Sony 90mm f2.8 macro with the correct port for it (90mm with 1.5 crop maybe to much?).

Looking forward to hear your thoughts - sorry for the bad Englishclear.png

Cheers Oliver

Edited by Peterpan, 09 April 2016 - 03:21 AM.

#2 pachku

pachku

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:46 PM

Used a NEX-6 for some years, so I assume lens selection will be similar. The 16-70 "Zeiss" is pretty good, IQ-wise, but the MFD is a p.i.t.a. and using close up filters will give you ghost rings. And you need to use a dome port. I didn't try the 16-35 F4, as the focal length for APS-C is not that interesting, the lens is pretty big, and nobody knows what combo of diopters and dome port will work. How you'd want to run a macro converter on that - don't know, but then, it's early in the morning. The kit 16-50 is actually not bad, especially around 40-45mm, and you can run all kinds of stuff on top of the port, with the CMC it's very good, and the new wide angle wet lens could also work. The 10-18 is good, the 12mm Zeiss is actually very good (but no fun to install), and I've looked into using the Canon 8-15 with the Zen 170 dome, but didn't do that, went to a DSLR instead - should work, though, if you can improvise the zoom gear. The 90mm G Macro is excellent, but AF so slow, you'll run out of air, actually about the same speed as the Canon 100mm L / Metabones combo. So what I'd do is keep the 16-50, get the 10-18, and the 90mm, and be happy with it. If you want to shoot everything on the same dive, get a RX100, those days are over with this camera. Enjoy the dive and take pictures of the things you brought the lens for.