• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 jonjake

jonjake

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:18 PM

Looking for a single Inon Z-240 Type 4 that is in good condition. Send me a PM if you have one you're willing to part with for a price that is fair.

I recently noticed that one of mine has a much lower output than the other while shooting a large ball of Jacks.  Initially I though one of the two flash tubes might be dead but later I confirmed that is not the case by taking photos of the strobe in set to a low power with my lens stopped all the way down.  Not sure what is going on with it because it still works fine but the output is significantly lower than my other Inon Z-240,  I am fairly sure this wasn't previously the case as I never noticed it.

Edited by jonjake, 05 May 2019 - 06:19 PM.

#2 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2303 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:40 AM

I would contact Inon to get it repaired if the bulbs are not gone there may be an issue with the acc that does not cost much to fix

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#3 makar0n

makar0n

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:29 AM

Might sound silly but did you check the "Advanced Cancel Circuit Switch" ? it sometimes get stuck if you have a salt build-up. Also, are you using a flash trigger ? If so check the batteries.

First time i've had a similar issue it was the salt thingie. Recently had it again, ever more pronounced, and it turned out flash trigger batteries were low, which caused one strobe not to receive full signal.

Good luck!

#4 jonjake

jonjake

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:50 PM

Thanks Interceptor121 & makar0n for the tips.  My AA batteries are on the charger now and I will run some experiments tomorrow to see if I can resolve it.  I only use the strobes in manual power model with fiber optic triggering so I am not sure why the trigger batteries would effect the strobe power output but I will try new ones just to see.

I still am interested in picking up a "spare" if anyone has one available.

#5 makar0n

makar0n

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:54 AM

Thanks Interceptor121 & makar0n for the tips.  My AA batteries are on the charger now and I will run some experiments tomorrow to see if I can resolve it.  I only use the strobes in manual power model with fiber optic triggering so I am not sure why the trigger batteries would effect the strobe power output but I will try new ones just to see.

I still am interested in picking up a "spare" if anyone has one available.

Was using mine in manual as well, when i had the issue, barely last week. My trigger takes two CR2450 batteries, and has two LEDs, so somehow assume one was getting the right charge, while the other was just emitting a weak light. Think Inon adjusts the light output based on a signal somehow. You can ask Pavel Kolpakov, he is a guru if it comes to strobe triggers.

Initially, one strobe was sometimes flashing sometimes not. After noticing red light on the trigger, I have then changed one (out of 2) batteries (in flash trigger) for a new one (only had one with me...), and it was working fine. After a few dives the older battery (2nd one) got a bit exhausted as well, with trigger flashing red again. Strobe, while it was still working, was emitting visibly weaker light, despite being on manual and the same settings as the other one. After i've exchanged the older battery as well, for a one salvaged from a spare Suunto, issue went away immediately.

#6 jonjake

jonjake

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:51 PM

Was using mine in manual as well, when i had the issue, barely last week. My trigger takes two CR2450 batteries, and has two LEDs, so somehow assume one was getting the right charge, while the other was just emitting a weak light. Think Inon adjusts the light output based on a signal somehow. You can ask Pavel Kolpakov, he is a guru if it comes to strobe triggers.

Initially, one strobe was sometimes flashing sometimes not. After noticing red light on the trigger, I have then changed one (out of 2) batteries (in flash trigger) for a new one (only had one with me...), and it was working fine. After a few dives the older battery (2nd one) got a bit exhausted as well, with trigger flashing red again. Strobe, while it was still working, was emitting visibly weaker light, despite being on manual and the same settings as the other one. After i've exchanged the older battery as well, for a one salvaged from a spare Suunto, issue went away immediately.

Interesting.  I have a Nauticam D-850 housing with the built-in optical trigger that uses two CR2450s.  I will have to look around for some extra CR2450 batteries. In the meantime I just did a the following test with my strobes mounted to the housing and facing a white wall (diffusers removed).

1) Fully charged all my AA batteries and installed them in the strobes.

2) Verified that all the settings on the strobes match and set them both to the same power (Manual -6EV)

3) Turned off the right strobe and took an image of the wall with only the left strobe (suspect strobe) firing.

4) Turned off the left strobe, turned on the right strobe and took another image with only the right strobe firing.

5) Turned the left strobe back on and took an image with both strobes firing.

6) Swapped the fibers going into the strobes to test each strobe with the opposite trigger/fiber.  Repeated steps 3-5.

7) Adjusted the power on the left strobe up 2 clicks (now on Manual -5EV setting) to visually match the right strobe.  Repeated steps 3-5.

The images taken during these tests can be viewed here: https://www.dropbox....AdhjrdSUKa?dl=0

From these tests it seems the suspect strobe is firing approximately at approximately 1EV lower power (2 clicks) than the other one.  After swapping triggers/fibers without any noticeable difference I still believe the issue is with the strobe itself rather than the triggers or fibers.  I will try to reach out to Pavel Kolpakov to see if he has any theories.

#7 PIG004

PIG004

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:Technical Diving, photography.

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:05 PM

I had the same issue. It was a corroded advanced cancel circuit switch. 

Bought a replacement and problem was solved.

You can check it by removing the good one from your other strobe and installing it in the underpowered one.

I first pushed it in then unscrewed it by hand. A little tight at first.

Edited by PIG004, 24 May 2019 - 05:06 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inon, z240, strobe