8 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Twain

Mark Twain

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:26 AM

Hi,

I am currently shooting with my Sony A7 in a Nauticam housing and for wideangle I use my 16-35/4. Though I am happy with that lens I sometimes miss a fisheye and I really do not like the fisheye adapter solution by Sony.

So I am thinking about getting a Sea&Sea 12mm but I have a few questions. Is there enough space between housing and lens to comfortably operate aperture and focus dials? How is the Sea&Sea mounted on the housing in terms of durability/stability and how is it mounted on my Sony camera? Is anybody using this combination and can report?

Many thanks!

#2 TaxiDiver14

TaxiDiver14

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:40 AM

Sony FE 12-24 ???

#3 Mark Twain

Mark Twain

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:45 AM

The 12-24 is a valid Option but it offers 'only' 122 degrees fov diagonally in comparison to a fisheye with 180 degrees.

Edited by Mark Twain, 03 August 2018 - 09:45 AM.

#4 mbrock

mbrock

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:11 AM

Hello Mark Twain

I apologize in advance if some of the following is already common knowledge for you. I am currently looking to get the S&S Nikonos 12mm fisheye myself, but dang, they are hard to come by and I just missed one recently in the Wetpixel classifieds!!!! However, I do have experience with the Nikonos 15mm with my Nauticam Sony a9 system and it is my understanding that others have successfully used the 12mm fisheye with the sony mirrorless systems from Nauticam.

1. You'll need the Nauticam Nikonos Adapter
  2. In your camera's menu system, set to (Enable) 'Release w/out Lens '
  3. Set all your camera's focus peaking settings
  4. I use the Nauticam leak sensor and vacuum system with my Sony a9

With the 15mm, I'm able to operate the lens aperture and focus controls. It's an extremely fun system to use and I'm liking the results so far. Would love to get my hands on the 12mm fisheye for my upcoming September humpback whale trip; although the 130 FOV of my WACP should be the sweet spot for the majority of our encounters. Best of luck and please keep us posted on your results.

Mike 

Mike Brock

www.mikebrock.com

www.instagram.com/mikebrockphotography

#5 Mark Twain

Mark Twain

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:11 AM

Many thanks for the info. How does the nauticam Adapter work in Terms of connection to the camera? I worry about light leaks and durability

#6 mbrock

mbrock

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:29 AM

With my Nikonos 15mm attached to my Nauticam Sony a9 housing, I have not experienced any light leaks so far. I have used it in SoCal and Socorro (limited use as this is not my goto setup but still experimenting and having fun with it). As for durability, nothing so far has raised any flags or concerns for me while using the 15mm. Maybe you can expand on your durability concerns?

S&S 12mm Fisheye Update:

I actually have a S&S 12mm fisheye coming my way this weekend. I won an auction last night. Before I send it off to be tested and overhauled early next week, I'll attach it to my housing and verify the aperture and focus control knobs that you mentioned in your original post. I'll probably only have time for pool testing before I leave for my September humpback whale trip. That will be my first opportunity to use this lens in the field if I opt to use it.

I can keep you posted on my results if that is not to long of a timeframe for you?

Mike

Mike Brock

www.mikebrock.com

www.instagram.com/mikebrockphotography

#7 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:36 AM

I think you'd be much better off with an adapted Canon 8-15mm fisheye zoom. Works great with a metabones adapter and can autofocus.

#8 bonshington

bonshington

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:41 AM

I'd suggest Samyang 12 MM fisheye. Very good manual lens. 180 degrees with not ugly curve / distort. Just set F10 or more and set focus to 0.8m then u good for almost everything. Also I use it with 16-35 zoom gear with custom 3D printed adaptor to change focus.

Edited by bonshington, 17 August 2018 - 08:44 AM.

#9 P-A

P-A

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:09 AM

I use the A7II with nikonos adapter and both
12mm Sea & Sea and the Nikonos 15mm.

The fit is nice and it is easy to adjust your settings on the lens. I think these lenses are way better than using a modern ones with big domes.
The camera is very small and agile in comparison to other setups.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sea&Sea, Sea&Sea 12mm, Nauticam, Sony, Sony A7