12 replies to this topic

#1 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1765 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Hi all,

I had the opportunity to try out the new Halcyon Traveller Wing yesterday. There has been an interesting debate on the forum about wing vs jacket BCDs on the forum recently, and if you fall into the wing camp, you really should check this one out.

The wing has a backplate made of nylon, with integrated tank bands. The harness is the Halcyon cinch system, a one piece strap that is adjustable. Integrated onto the backplate are 4 weight pockets, these get the weights off the hips/waist and put them behind you. This makes it much easier to get good trim.

Best of all, the whole system weighs less than 6lbs (3kg). Plenty of baggage allowance for extra ports and lenses!

Full details are on the Halcyon site:

http://www.halcyon.n...single/traveler

I have ordered one (which I will pay for!)

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#2 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

You know what would make a cool review? BCD's *For Photographers*. How does that BCD or BP/W work when you are upside down? How does it work when you are on the surface trying to do an over/under with a 9" dome and both your strobes? How about attaching your photo rig to the BCD? Carrying diopters, mirrors, spotting beams? Trying to hold steady in a current while getting that perfect shot? A shootout preferably :)

That would be a review I would be keen to read!

thanks,
John

Edited by johnspierce, 26 July 2012 - 07:39 PM.

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#3 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

+1 for a photographers perspective BCD/BP&W review. Be great to see a comparison of this product with other light weight BP&W
like the Zeagle Express Tech or Dive Rite Travelpac. I do like that this offering from Halcyon has a doughnut shaped bladder
rather than horseshoe. My previous BCD had a horseshoe and I found it was a real PIA for trim when shifting positions if you
were angled head down.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#4 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

I have the Halcyon Aluminum plate, how much lighter could plastic be? My aluminum plate weighs in at 2 pounds. I do like the looks of the weight pockets on the plastic plate.
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#5 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

It would be a good shootout to get several brands/styles of the travel BCD's and do pro/cons for photographers.

I would like to see some ready-to-go travel BP/W:
- Halcyon Traveller Wing
- Dive Rite TravelPac
- Hollis Ride Wing Travel
- Zeagle Express Tech

And more traditional BCDs:
- Zeagle Stiletto
- Oceanic Biolite
- Scubapro Go
- Cressisub Travel light

Grade them on:
- Comfort
- Ease of use
- At the surface usage (over/unders)
- Best trim
- Smallest to pack
- how much photographer crap can be stuffed in pockets (if any)

Test them in various situations:
- Heavy current
- Inside a wreck
- At the surface in some "chop"
- Upside down trying to get that one in a million shot
- How they look on a "model"
- Easiest for crew to hoist back on the RIB

The shootout could be done in the same manner as the D7000 housing comparo -- no need to do them all at once, just use the same criteria and do them as time allows.

I'm sure WetPixel will get right on this, eh?

Edited by johnspierce, 27 July 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#6 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

www.divernet.com

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#7 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

www.divernet.com

Hi John,

I read all your articles and enjoy them, but unless I'm just missing it, I don't think anyone has done reviews on BCDs specifically addressing photography. Do you feel such a review would be redundant?

thanks,
John

#8 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

Hi John,

I read all your articles and enjoy them, but unless I'm just missing it, I don't think anyone has done reviews on BCDs specifically addressing photography. Do you feel such a review would be redundant?

thanks,
John

Do photographers really have special needs for wings/BCs? I would argue that we don' t and underwater we need wings to float us in a stable horizontal position and produce a minimum of drag. Anything beyond that is just dive industry marketing :)

Interestingly I still have a 10 year old Halcyon pioneer, which weighs the same as this. So after years of thoughtlessly over engineering rigs that are too heavy to travel with due to the Single Tank Adapter, they have achieved a light single tank rig equivalent to one that they made a decade ago. I guess sometimes progress is a step backwards ;)

Enjoy
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#9 drako

drako

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

What about the Zeagle Wicked Lite? Yes its ugly, but it weighs under 4 pounds!

#10 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:42 AM

I spend my time taking pictures underwater. At the same time, I review the equipment I use. I find there is synergy between the two aims. So you could say that all my equipment reviews are from the point-of-view of an underwater photographer.
For example, I just spent time (not taking my own pictures) trying out the Apeks Sidemount Kit and was shown how to rig my sidemounts by an expert. He did not want to hear that his way of doing it was not as appropriate for someone with a big camera rig as the method I had previously adopted from another expert but that will be reflected in my report.
Coincidentally, I was with Adam too, but I will wait until I've been sent and used the Halcyon Traveller over a week of intensive diving before I make any judgements.

Edited by John Bantin, 29 July 2012 - 01:58 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#11 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

Thanks John -- good to have a "peek"into your BCD review process. Looking forward to both Adam's and your impression of the Halcyon Traveler.

BTW John, I just read your review of the Zeagle Zena from 2007. The image of you putting the Zena on and trying to think like a woman brings on a mental image I won't be rid of for some time. The Internet has a looong memory!

In general, for all you photog journos out there, it's nice to see photos of "you" on occasion. Loved the photo on Facebook of Bantin inside the plane fuselage with the sidemounts. The pic with Alex and the seal is of course now world-famous (my wife spotted it on cuteoverload.com for crissake!) and seeing Eric trimmed out with his Oxycheq was fun too.

Edited by johnspierce, 29 July 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#12 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

Wayyyyyyyyyy over priced for what it is- If I had that profit margin as a carpenter, I wouldn't get work ever.....

Zeagle isn't much better on price, I definitely prefer the zeagle 30lb dount wing to the Halcyon one- the rinsing with out on a garden hose is a great idea.
Seen the express tech just jumped up a $100......WTF!

Seriously think the chinese units are the go for the money dt30 http://www.hilbcd.co...donut30 big.htm

At lest it puts some heat on these profiteers selling basically the same thing, lots of them are made by that same company in china......

Edited by DamonA, 30 July 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#13 Aliens

Aliens

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

Halcyon pioneer 30lb wing with ally backplate. Light enough for travel Strong, original design. Good for photography can easily sit on surface with heavy rig lean back in to it travel. Easy to clip stuff off to d rings. Easy to adjust to use for tec, wreck, deep, cave diving.
yes like the weight sin th eback but this can be acheived with weight pockets.
Why would you ever dive a "normal" BCD now?