• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:28 PM

Sony announces 13 new handycams at CES 2010. The new range of handycams include new XR, CX and TG series. The top of the line XR550V now has 24mbps, Memory Duo/SDHC card support , 240GB hard disk drive and a new EXMOR R 1/2.88" CMOS sensor that is optimized for low light. The LCD screen is now a 3.5" and the camera has full manual controls. The variation among the series are mainly memory configurations.
The real shocker is that Sony has finally moved away from its proprietary Memory Stick format and included SDHC, which means it's finally feeling the heat from competitors. The new FX 24mbps 1080/60i still has no native 24p. The camera is now capable of 3 lux with 1/30 shutter speed with ASS mode on which is a new mark for small form camcorders. Other features include GPS, a wider 26.3mm G lens and the sensor is interpolated to 12 mp for stills.
The new range of cameras are slight larger than the out going models but only by millimeters. They should fit back into housings designed for the previous XR and CX range.
Included in the 13 handycams are 5 new SD cameras.

Sony Handycam Site

Also announced were 2 pro camcorders recording in 24mbps AVCHD, the 3 EXMOR-R 1/3" sensor NX5 and AX2000, which is the consumer version of the NX5. The NX5 has 1080/24/30p and 720/60p plus HD-SDI and XLR outputs. The camera also has SMPTE time code and dual channel PCM audio. The new optimized EXMOR R sensor can record at 1.5lux at 1/30 with auto exposure/gain on.

Sonystyle HVR-AX2000

HXR-NX5U

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:21 AM

Just what I wanted....a video camera with a GPS..lol....
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#3 syam

syam

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:54 AM

Judging for the pics, the AX2000 looks like the size of PD-170. So the question remains for the semi pro underwater shooter who wants to go HD & tapeless - who wants a small camera like the old TRV-950 or HC1000 that can white balance & have 3 CCD/CMOS. Should he,

1. Opt for the Canon HF S11/ Gates combo that has manual WB (Single sensor)
2. Wait for the review of this new AX2000 for underwater shots
3. Forget tapeless and look for a 2nd hand A1U & housing (Single sensor)

What do you think Drew?

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10596 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:41 AM

I'm actually disappointed with the AX2000/NX5. It's stupid that their HDV series gets 50/60i, 24/25/30p and their NX series does not. If a ViDSLR can do it , why not a camcorder? Especially one that costs $5k.
Still for pros who don't need PAL/NTSC, the specs look great. Looking at the Pana's HMC150, 3xSensor AVCHD looks great. As good as XDCAM EX sometimes, and that's nothing to sneeze about. And if it's as clean as they claim, it'll be a great camera.... IF housing manufacturers make a housing for it. I'm sure the non-molded housing manufacturers can easily adapt their housing to fit the pro cameras though, but I'm not sure the molded aluminum housings will be available.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 Mike L

Mike L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:11 AM

After playing with the HF S10/S11 quite a bit the past few months, it takes a big step up to make it worth it. Going from the HF cameras to the EX1 is definitely noticeable and worth the upgrade. Im waiting to see how these cams actually perform.

On the Panasonic front, Ive yet to check the specs, my question is how will it perform in low light. The HVX 200 was a great camera above water, but its low light performance underwater didnt cut it. After shooting with an EX1 for a year and a half underwater, bar has been raised quite a bit for these prosumer and pro level cameras I feel. The difference in $1000-$2000 for the camera when you are investing 12-20k for the total underwater system, is minimal.
Mike Luzansky
H2O Photo Pros Underwater Photo & Video THE Underwater Imaging Headquarters
Gates Underwater Video Housings The Ultimate Gates Underwater Housing Resource
Nauticam Underwater Housings The Nauticam Underwater Housing Headquarters!
Marine Visions The Choice for Underwater Professionals

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:07 AM

IF housing manufacturers make a housing for it. I'm sure the non-molded housing manufacturers can easily adapt their housing to fit the pro cameras though, but I'm not sure the molded aluminum housings will be available.

That's is why I am amazed the no one makes a hi end housing for the JVC 100M...here is a great cam, shoots in several modes and can capture in QT envelope. Is a perfect size and price for everyone. The only negatives on this cam is JVC's less than stellar rep for durability which I have heard has been improved greatly.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.