#1 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

Taken from a Facebook post

b19adb836f872ffe56d6071fe0179593.jpg

Something to consider for people looking at Monitor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#2 Atobit

Atobit

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:27 PM

Excellent!

#3 Atobit

Atobit

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 04:37 PM

It’s written PRORES RAW, hopefully it has an SDI input connector.

#4 recd

recd

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:20 PM

https://www.atomos.com/ninjav

Looks like 4K/60p ProRes HQ

No SDI, but HDMI 2.0

It should  be a good option due to its smaller size.

#5 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 09:10 PM

I think this will be a great underwater monitor / recorder.

You would be silly to choose a 7" sized screen over this for underwater. The housing sizing difference is going to be dramatic. I know which one I would choose now.

Only 1000nits compared to 1500nits of the Flame/Inferno. But still really bright.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#6 gearbow_36218

gearbow_36218

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:17 AM

Taken from a Facebook post

b19adb836f872ffe56d6071fe0179593.jpg

Something to consider for people looking at Monitor...

Yeah hopefully Nauticam won't change a arm and a leg.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

#7 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:57 AM

It’s written PRORES RAW, hopefully it has an SDI input connector.

Only HDMI. And it appears Atomos is getting ahead of itself in regards to getting a RAW signal over HDMI.... 

(DAMN - I was hoping it would be possible too...)

From a Panasonic rep at the Varicam division:

Panasonic is part of the HDMI consortium. This organization sets the standard for HDMI signals so that devices can talk to one another properly. RAW is not part of the spec, so there for it will not be output over HDMI.

Maybe in the future, but HDMI spec 2.1 is already out for consultation with a release Q1-Q3 this year - so we won't see anything this side of 2019.. :(

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#8 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:46 PM

Yeah hopefully Nauticam won't change a arm and a leg.

Haha not a big chance is it? But one can hope!

#9 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:40 PM

if one day RAW thrugh HDMI would be possible, this would be a perfect monitor/recorder for the GH5.

#10 Akoni

Akoni

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:46 AM

If I recall correctly, this is a touchscreen only unit? Not sure how much that would hamper it's utility U/W.

#11 recd

recd

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:57 AM

If I recall correctly, this is a touchscreen only unit? Not sure how much that would hamper it's utility U/W.

Original Atomos Shogun and later versions are touchscreen.  The Nauticam Housing gives access to most important controls

#12 gearbow_36218

gearbow_36218

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:42 PM

if one day RAW thrugh HDMI would be possible, this would be a perfect monitor/recorder for the GH5.

Oh nooo my bubble is burst!!!

#13 gearbow_36218

gearbow_36218

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:42 PM

Only HDMI. And it appears Atomos is getting ahead of itself in regards to getting a RAW signal over HDMI.... 

(DAMN - I was hoping it would be possible too...)

From a Panasonic rep at the Varicam division:

Maybe in the future, but HDMI spec 2.1 is already out for consultation with a release Q1-Q3 this year - so we won't see anything this side of 2019.. :(

10 bit ProRes is still not considered RAW correct? RAW in video would be 12 bit? It looks like Ninja V is still advertised 10 bit 60fps. Hopefully this is true. If it supports USB 3.1 SSD's the Samsung T5 would be a good pairing!

#14 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:46 PM

The difference between RAW and RGB formats like ProRes isn't the bit depth of the data -- rather, it's whether the signal is debayered or not. Your camera sensor doesn't record a red, green and blue value for each pixel. Rather, each pixel has either a red, green or blue filter in front of it (so it receives only light of that wavelength) and the camera records a luminance value for that pixel. The RGB values for that pixel are then interpolated based on the luminance values of the pixel around in a process called "debayering". You can read all about it here.

With RAW, you're recording the original luminance data for each pixel, and you do the debayering yourself later in post-processing. This, among other things, allows you to set your white balance in post. RGB formats do the debayering in the camera before the video is recording to your card, so the white balance is baked in.

Both RAW and RGB video formats can be compressed using various strategies to reduce their size -- the more compression you have, the more fine detail you will lose. But the uncompressed RAW data will actually be 1/3 the size of an uncompressed RGB signal at any given resolution and bit depth because you're only storing one luminance value per pixel instead of 3 (red, green & blue). 

#15 Atobit

Atobit

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:40 AM

As the Ninja V has only HDMI input it will not be possible to record RAW. As per today RAW data are only convey through a BNC connection.
RAW data bit depth is limited by what the camera maker will allow to record. It can be 10, 12, 14 or 16 bits.
The Ninja V will only record to a SATA SSD like all current Atomos recorders. So it will not be possible to record onto SSD through an USB-C connector.

#16 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:16 AM

As the Ninja V has only HDMI input it will not be possible to record RAW. As per today RAW data are only convey through a BNC connection.
RAW data bit depth is limited by what the camera maker will allow to record. It can be 10, 12, 14 or 16 bits.
The Ninja V will only record to a SATA SSD like all current Atomos recorders. So it will not be possible to record onto SSD through an USB-C connector.

Your statement is correct, you just should have added that it is *currently* not possible to record RAW thru HDMI.  This may well change in the future.

#17 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:59 AM

Lets be serious -- chances of Panasonic (or Sony or Canon) enabling RAW output over HDMI for any existing consumer camera are basically nil.  If the HDMI standard is ever updated to allow raw output over HDMI, it'll likely only be implemented in future products.

But this should still be a great external monitor if nothing else assuming a housing comes out that's not too bulky or expensive. I'd love to get one for the GH5 to be able to record 10bit 4:2:2 Prores at 60fps. With Prores HQ, it should be a thick enough file to make a decent HDR deliverable. It would be fun to experiment with HDR underwater.

#18 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:11 AM

I asked Alex @nauticamUK a housing is not planned but you can register interest
I guess if the housing is cheaper and aligned with the smaller ninja 2 or small HD monitors it becomes interesting

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#19 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:10 PM

So people are getting the Ninja V's for testing and preproduction...

From this video - I get a feeling the Ninja V won't be usable underwater (from 5min 36secs) - the need to scroll (via touch) the menu system...

https://youtu.be/Tu_hFsPZIaY?t=5m36s

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#20 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 10:51 PM

So people are getting the Ninja V's for testing and preproduction...

From this video - I get a feeling the Ninja V won't be usable underwater (from 5min 36secs) - the need to scroll (via touch) the menu system...

https://youtu.be/Tu_hFsPZIaY?t=5m36s

It does look interesting on land though as 5” is a much better form factor.

For underwater I have now set my eyes on angelbird v90 memory card and will shoot 10 bit all intra. I still think the ergonomics will not be ideal with the flat LCD but I don’t see real a case for what I do to invest in a monitor like small HD 502 but I would say the set up with monitor and memory card would cover 90% of underwater needs

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog