Adding moisture and vacuum circuitry to Ikelite housing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Kippax

Chris Kippax

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:The underwater world, wildlife photography and mechanical engineering

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:08 AM

Hi All

Is there anything stopping me from installing an Aquatica surveyor 19229 moisture vacuum circuit board to an Ikelite polycarbonate slr housing? I already have the Ike vacuum valve installed. There appears to be ample room in the housing. Is it as simply as mounting the circuit board battery and leds? Is there a better way to achieve the added security of the flashing green led before you splash and during the dive?
Thanks Chris

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1878 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:01 AM

Should be no issue at all. Is there an LED that is supposed to be part of the housing?

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 Chris Kippax

Chris Kippax

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:The underwater world, wildlife photography and mechanical engineering

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:07 PM

Hi Bill

The aquatica surveyoy has a green and red LED that is for vacuum and moisture warning indicators, that I think line up with a window in the Aquatica housing. As you are more than likely aware the Ike housing has Leds for the flash exposure control. I have ordered the 5dmk3 version of the surveyoy as it has some length to play with on the led and moisture probe harnesses. 

6871.02-canon-5d-mark-ii-c_grande.jpg?v=

aquatica_19229_ad7000_surveyor_moisture_

#4 pbalves

pbalves

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

Hi Chris

I have an Aquática housing with surveyor vacuum and moisture alarm. The valve is from Vivid Housings. The valve is independent from the surveyor alarm.
I am quite happy with the system.

I had an ikelite Housing on the past, and from that knowledge, the surveyor will work fine in it. The ikelite Housing has a lot of space to place the surveyor and it is fully clear that ales easy to see the blinking led.

You need to place the surveyor card (PCB) on the main body of the housing, with the moisture probe on the bottom of it (as it is the lower area in a normal position) to grant the soonest alarm in case of a flood. The PCB should be o the highest possible position to avoid that in an event of flood to drown it too quick and the alarm not signaling it. The location of the led should be in a place where it becomes well visible from outside.

Due to the moisture probe to be places the lower possible, the back door is not the best place to locate the PCB, although for the LED, most probably it would be the best location for visibility during the dive....

But it is a quite nice system! It allows you pre-dive check with the vacuum, and during the dive with the vacuum and the moisture alarm, signaling both with the color LED and also a buzzer!

BR

Pedro Alves

#5 Chris Kippax

Chris Kippax

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

Thanks Pedro!

#6 Chris Kippax

Chris Kippax

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:20 AM

To anyone that is interested. I installed the aquatica surveyor system in my Ikelite polycarb DSLR housing today. Very straightforward and works perfectly. About 8 in/hg is good.

I bonded two 14/20 nuts to a 1.5mm piece of black poly plastic with loctite 406 then arildite. I installed double sided tape onto the plastic and installed the pc board into the lhs of the housing. I then placed small tabs of double sided tape to the moisture alarm and led and routed them to the very bottom and top of the housing.

All in all a very worth while investment. 

Note it was made much easier on my housing as I had removed the zoom control/mech and the mode control and plugged the holes allowing for tonnes of additional space. there is around 5-10mm between all components and the camera body once installed.

Edited by Chris Kippax, 13 March 2018 - 01:24 AM.

#7 Chris Kippax

Chris Kippax

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:29 AM

Image attached

Attached Images

• Aquatica surveyor.jpg