Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:54 AM

I am planning a trip to:

1. Hong King

2. Singapore

3. Tokyo and Kyoto

Since last week, I have seen many sites and YT videos on taxi fare in all 3 cities but I am not sure whether it's correct. So if you guys live in these cities, please share hourly cab & driver fare.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Oliver Green

#2 olivergreen

olivergreen

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 01:57 AM

Plus, has anyone tried this? Cruise from Hong Kong

#3 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 03:35 PM

I visit all three cities regularly for business, but I rarely use taxis, as the metro systems are so good. I don't know why you would want to hire a taxi by the hour, it's always faster and cheaper to take a train then if necessary take a taxi for the last mile. 

In Singapore last week, there were three of us with luggage so we took a taxi from the airport to the city center, about 30 minutes, for SGD 28 (metro is SGD 3.5).  A typical ride of 15 minutes in light traffic was around SGD 10-15 (metro for the same distance SGD 1.5).  I often make a day there, landing around 0900, taking 4-5 meetings around the city, then departing around 1700 without ever needing a taxi

In Tokyo, don't even think about a taxi from the airport, they are extortionate at about JPY 30,000 compared to a "limousine bus" which is about JPY 3500 or the JR Narita Express train which is about JPY 2000.  Around the city a 15 minute ride in moderate traffic is about JPY 1500 - 2000.

I've never taken a taxi in Hong Kong, all my needs are in the city center and easily serviced by metro.  The express train from the airport is about HKD 120 if I remember right.