Sony RX100 VI - Ultimate P&S camera?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:43 AM

So, the Sony RX100 VI was announced, and it has 24-200mm focal length! This make it the ultimate point & shoot camera that can shoot wide angle (with wet lens) and very good macro capability that probably only need +5 or +7 diopter. If there is a housing for it, there many be a need to use port system like the LX100.

The questions I have is: Have Sony fix their custom white balance problem in their RX100 series?

This camera has HDR, just not sure about IS and log profile. Hopefully Panasonic would step up its game and compete!

Also, at this price point, may be the Black Magic Cinema Pocket 4K is a good option instead since it has RAW capability, higher fps and bigger screen. It's very exciting that consumers have more choices again!

Edited by kc_moses, 06 June 2018 - 04:48 AM.

#2 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:12 AM

Sonys white balance problem is with all their cameras, not just the rx series :)

Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

#3 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1392 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:53 AM

It's now a super zoom out to 200mm with a very long lens barrel. It will be very hard to house. Most of these are unusable underwater as such.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com

Nauticam, Subal, Sea & Sea, Olympus, Seacam, Gates, Ikelite, Zen, Fix, 10Bar, Kraken, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories. System Packages. Photo Expeditions.

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog - Flickr Galleries: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#4 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, I wonder how long is the lens barrel, it doesn't look too bad though:
1528210838000_IMG_999700.jpg

#5 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1763 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:13 AM

It depends on the behaviour of the zoom

With all past RX100 the lens was the same lenght at wide and tele this made this camera a joy to use with wet lenses (especially the mark I and II)

If this is like a telezoom with the camera lens getting shorter at wide and longer at full zoom it will need a port system like the LX100

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#6 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:30 PM

The RX100VI housing will use the N50 port system like LX100, just as I suspected:

https://reefphoto.co...-digital-camera

#7 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1763 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:15 AM

Images of the housing like the LX100

https://www.nauticam...narx100vi-trays

It remains cheaper than a micro four third and am sure the 200mm lens will do well even with a mild diopter!

The 5' limit for 4K remains the camera keeps the 100 mbps XAVC but has HLG HDR included though with 8 bit colour

Edited by Interceptor121, 21 July 2018 - 10:19 AM.

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#8 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:40 PM

Besides the codec, the other concern is the WB and IS of the RX1000VI. I haven't look at RX100 since M3, don't know if there is any major improvement since then. I remember battery life and overheating was a concern back then.

If the Panasonic LX200 has the color of GH5 and dual IS, it will be a very great competitor to the RX100VI.

#9 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1763 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 01:53 AM

I think the GH5 is more versatile with the 14-42mm lens you can cover 28-120mm with the ex tele this combined with wet lenses without changing port.
I believe the short port on the N50 format is really limiting as you can’t even shoot a fish portrait
There are plenty of very good looking deadly boring videos with only wide or only macro footage obviously you can try and go down again with the other port but is never the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#10 thani

thani

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Water

Posted 28 July 2018 - 09:35 AM

Nauticam announces RX100 mark VI housing with plenty of options.
http://wetpixel.com/...y-rx100-mark-vi

kc_moses, IMHO to get the best out of this camera, one must use lights and this should fix the Sony common WB issue. Not sure if this camera suffer from it though. And yes there are situations beyond the reach of lights.
Best Regards,
Thani

#11 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:47 AM

The RV100VI is still over price for what it has to offer compare to my current Panasonic LX100. I would rather wait for the LX200, or even the Black Magic Pocket Cinema 4K before considering the next GH series camera because the GH camera price is getting high. Canon will have better mirrorless coming out soon so consumers will have more choice compare to 2 years ago.

#12 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1763 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:25 PM

Blackmagic pocket may not be what you expect
The RX100 is a camera that sells may not appeal to you however if I read correctly the zoom range with the short port is 24-70mm and this does make it interesting much more than the lx100 that only does 24-30mm with the short port
The long range part at 200mm could give some great magnification even with a weak diopter so you don’t need to be on top of your subject
I think it is worth checking out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#13 Daniorte

Daniorte

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:59 AM