2 replies to this topic

#1 paulandersonphoto

paulandersonphoto

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Diving,hiking,photography,travel

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:24 AM

Ok so I'm getting my first underwater camera system, and I'm still deciding on lots of things. Right now I'm trying to decide on which type and brand of lighting, I know there is going to be lots of options.

So to begin I'm will be shooting with a Sony a7rii with a wide lens like a 16-35 f/4 and adding macro as soon as the budget allows. I think I want to get continues lighting instead of strobes since I'll be shooting both photos and lots of videos but if someone has a setup they suggest with both I'm open to ideas (was looking at the likelite ds161).

Next question is going to be about my budget. I'm hoping to get two lights and I know the more you spend the better you get but I'm not made of money yet,lol so I think my budget is somewhere in the 500 to 800 range and will definitely be looking for used gear when and where I can find it.

Thanks
Paul

#2 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:03 AM

I got a pair of Archon D36V lights through Aliexpress for about $460 without batteries or chargers. Fifty-odd dives, no issues so far. It looks like this model is no longer available though - there is a D37VP that looks very similar but adds two narrow-beam LEDs, and a DM20 which replaces the main LEDs with a COB module and uses a proprietary battery pack in lieu of 4x18650s.

That said, while you can shoot stills with LED lights, there are a number of drawbacks compared to strobes, chief among them being lack of power - strobes are just orders of magnitude more powerful. Constant bright lights, unless carefully managed, can also be a hazard to other divers, and they tend to scare away the fish. On the upside, they don't stop you from using the fast burst modes with AF-C, you can see how the scene is lit, including shadows, before you pull the trigger, and it's easier for the camera to focus in the bright light.

For video, of course, there is no alternative. If your primary focus is video, then lights over strobes is a no brainer - you can shoot stills with lights a lot better than you can shoot videos with strobes.

#3 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 24 September 2018 - 05:08 AM

I have 3 brand new Archon WM66 for sell. I purchased them in bulk so I have extra. I'm currently using two of this and just got done testing it with the Goliath Groupers in South Florida. You can PM me if interested. There is no sample or review of the Archon WM66 yet so I should be the first one who post the sample soon. The performance of the Archon WM66 is similar to the "Scubalamp v6k pro" which you will see plenty of sample and some satisfied discussion here in Wetpixel.

Here is more info about the Archon WM66 (my price will be a lot cheaper than the MSRP) http://www.archonlig...light-wm66.html

If you want light for video, the Archon WM66 is a good budget setup for 12000 lumen and CRI 95. It however only have 2 power settings and doesn't have fancy features like red light or UV light.

Also, when using powerful light, make sure to either turn off the light, or point it down when not using it as the light will create a lot annoyance to other divers.