• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

I know we have all seen these a heap of tims but this updated one I thought was quite interesting as there is no Ex1 but there is the Canon XF300/5

http://www.bbc.co.uk...uction/hd.shtml

I only had a quick scan through it but I also thought it was interesting that they have Alexa on there and RED only on the independent section. I'm sure probably due to the post production PIA that RED is.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#2 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:52 PM

Is this just the primary choice for major productions as there is this list:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...hp/whp034.shtml

Lots more choice :notworthy:

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#3 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:42 PM

I dunno, someone just sent it to me. Yours looks a lot more realistic!
It is funny though, I have just been with a friend who has shot a comedy series for the ABC (Australian Beeb) and they would only allow it to be shot in DVC Pro 50, not even DVCPro 100.... totally SD. They didn't want a bar of HD, in fact I think they are getting rid of their HD channel in favour for a 24 hr news programme.

Interesting world we live in.....

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#4 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:08 AM

I always feel the need to respond to these threads so I start typing then about half way through my post I think what's the point and delete the lot!? I guess my thoughts will remain a mystery! :notworthy:

Cheers, Simon (yeah the BBC have ripped footage off evaluation DVD's I sent them and used it on prime time!)

#5 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:44 AM

I always feel the need to respond to these threads so I start typing then about half way through my post I think what's the point and delete the lot!? I guess my thoughts will remain a mystery! :D

Cheers, Simon (yeah the BBC have ripped footage off evaluation DVD's I sent them and used it on prime time!)

Let it out Simon let it OUT !!! It will only fester and give you an Ulcer ...

As I have said 1.4 Billion times on here for sequences they will 'nearly' take anything :notworthy: although for their HD progs (as in the finished film or commissions) it looks like they want the best they can get... These are probably only strongly advised guidelines for filmmakers :) Put it this way if you shoot something on a Ex1/nano and its bloody brilliant I expect they will take it with open arms... Maybe

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#6 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:10 AM

Yeah but yeah but yeah but, oh what the hell...

If it is for those types of productions (Life, Planet Earth etc etc) then they will either hire the camera for you and pay you to go film it or they will send one of their own guys to film it. Either way you don't need an all singing all dancing camera for that because you will either get the gig all equipment provided or they will bypass you entirely and send someone else!

They rarely ever buy footage off the shelf for top end productions where there is an absolute requirement that they wont go below a certain spec as they would rather spend £xx,000 more to go get the footage themselves. The famous Mr Scones story of the BBC sending him to Borneo or wherever to film diving monkeys but the puddle they were swimming in the year before had dried up springs to mind! They spent thousands just so they didn't have to buy the footage off of a French production company (although ironically in the end that was a rare case when they did have to buy it in!).

I guess all I'm saying is that if you want and/or need a certain camera for your own productions then get it, but just because it is or isn't on a BBC camera list doesn't mean that you will or will not be able to sell footage to them.

I know we're on the same page here, so I'll shut up. Lips firmly sealed. Never gonna respond to one of these posts again. Never ever. Honest. :notworthy:

Cheers, Simon

#7 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

I guess all I'm saying is that if you want and/or need a certain camera for your own productions then get it, but just because it is or isn't on a BBC camera list doesn't mean that you will or will not be able to sell footage to them.

Cheers, Simon

Well buying your own camera for your own production is pretty obvious and I really hope no one out there buys a camera in the hope that the Beeb gives them a job in any form... As for the commissions side the Natural World series has used smaller, outside the BBC, production companies before (although known faces) so I guess there is a chance if you have a good product they will buy it... Well I hope so with my next endeavour LOL

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)

#8 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:22 AM

Well buying your own camera for your own production is pretty obvious and I really hope no one out there buys a camera in the hope that the Beeb gives them a job in any form... As for the commissions side the Natural World series has used smaller, outside the BBC, production companies before (although known faces) so I guess there is a chance if you have a good product they will buy it... Well I hope so with my next endeavour LOL

Sure but if you get commissioned to produce a piece on something like Natural World then the same applies. You'll have the budget to either buy or hire the equipment you need at that point whatever it may be! :) BTW Deano if you are going for a commission on Natural World then you're not going to be talking to the likes of us for very much longer! Just don't forgot your mates when you hit the big time! :notworthy:

Cheers, Simon

#9 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

BTW Deano if you are going for a commission on Natural World then you're not going to be talking to the likes of us for very much longer! Just don't forgot your mates when you hit the big time! :)

Cheers, Simon

Sorry could you go through my P.A and not me directly... Thank you :notworthy:

Dive safe

Dean(CEO)B
Facebook me ;)

#10 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1377 posts