• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bikerschim

bikerschim

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

Since March 29, 2009 I have been scouring the internet and college biological heads in search of an ID. While shooting tide pools at at the Mana Kai Maui Resort the Keawakapu Beach, Maui, with my 180 Macro (1/500 sec @ f/8.0,ISO 400) I moved a rock and disturbed this critter.   It is about 4-5 inches long, and moved  surprisingly quickly with a peristaltic bulge that would move the length of the grey portion of the animal from the end with the white-sh appendage(s).  You can see the bulge forming in the first frame (043) near the white appendage(s) It moved with a flopping action that did not seem to be directional but it disappeared fast.  These three images were captured three seconds apart and was gone. Any ideas?

Attached Images

• 043.JPG
  • 044.JPG
  • 045.JPG

#2 tursiops

tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:03 PM

Juvenile Sea Cucumber of some kind?

#3 Quinn

Quinn

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:40 AM

Looks to be possibly a variety of Spoon Worm, Bonellia Sp. Similar to what we find on occasion here in the Caribbean in the same type habitat, although the ones we find are generally green in color.

#4 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:00 AM

Would think worm is right.
Bonellia or another species.

#5 tursiops

tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

Humann and DeLoach (Tropical Pacific, Reef Creature Identification) call the Bonellia a Tongue Worm.

Clipboard01.jpg

For the Tropical Atlantic, they make no mention of a Tongue Worm or a Bonellia, but they do show other similar stuff.

Clipboard02.jpg