22 replies to this topic

#21 jimm

jimm

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:58 AM

Hi Jim,

good to hear you are happy with your bid!
The extension should be part of the macro setup.
It was used between the camera and lens, the frame was for the distance, no focusing, just get the thing between the vertical parts and thats it...
Different tubes for different magnification ;-))

The viewfinder is not so exact like a dslr or a electronic one, its more a reference....
The scubawinder converts the 35mm into a ~ 17mm, so its close.....
An original one is sometimes to find on ebay, but will cost the same as your whole setup ;-))

Regards,
Wolfgang

thanks, yes the viewfinder im sure will be fine, and yes its is just an estimate, but i need to check, it seems like the previous owner used it with the 15mm surely! its such a well kept and organised case full of stuff im suprised the nikonos one isnt in there.

and it even has an unopened set of O rings!

I also have a flat disc of white  plastic that i assume is a diffuser for the strobe. but i cant seem to work out how to attach it. its says on it ' 15  wide adapter' and two small holes either side, and an indication to increase or decrease  the aperture by 2 stops?

anyway im gonna get it serviced in london, just to make sure.

#22 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:21 AM

Hi Jimm

Firstly Nikonos 5 cameras are fine - they have known weak points but these can be managed. For example there is a plastic cover in the middle of the wind-on lever. If its still there prise it off (its stuck down) and check for rust - the plastic glued in bit retains water and consequently you can get corrosion problems under it. Well looked after cameras will probably be missing the glued in bit as their owners will have removed them. If the camera is fine (from the case it looks to have travelled) then once its serviced (try Kevin at www.aquaphot.com (Essex based) - very good and well worth talking to as he really knows Nikonos cameras) it should be fine for a good time and if you maintain it well you shouldn't have problems - they work well if looked after. Same goes for the lenses - both are good and the 35 with Subawider, whilst not stunning can be surprisingly effective..

The Morris Flash (I vaguely remember a Toshiba connection but I may be wrong) is old and has probably lost a bit of power so is worth checking out - not serviceable these days I'd suspect as its simply too old and I doubt that spares still exist. Nikonos SB105s are still to be had at fair prices - good units and reliable.

Paul Kay,Canon EOS5DII SEACAM c/w S45, 8-15, 24L,35L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - Sony A7II SEACAM 28/2 & 50/2.8 Macro - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales -see  marinewildlife

#23 jimm

jimm

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:56 AM

Hi Jimm

Firstly Nikonos 5 cameras are fine - they have known weak points but these can be managed. For example there is a plastic cover in the middle of the wind-on lever. If its still there prise it off (its stuck down) and check for rust - the plastic glued in bit retains water and consequently you can get corrosion problems under it. Well looked after cameras will probably be missing the glued in bit as their owners will have removed them. If the camera is fine (from the case it looks to have travelled) then once its serviced (try Kevin at www.aquaphot.com (Essex based) - very good and well worth talking to as he really knows Nikonos cameras) it should be fine for a good time and if you maintain it well you shouldn't have problems - they work well if looked after. Same goes for the lenses - both are good and the 35 with Subawider, whilst not stunning can be surprisingly effective..

The Morris Flash (I vaguely remember a Toshiba connection but I may be wrong) is old and has probably lost a bit of power so is worth checking out - not serviceable these days I'd suspect as its simply too old and I doubt that spares still exist. Nikonos SB105s are still to be had at fair prices - good units and reliable.

thanks for the advice , ill definitely try aquaphot as im in essex, wish id know that a few days ago .