• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bighead

bighead

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

has anyone tried using the z240 as an off camera strobe ?? What are the needed accessories ? I am currently using the fibre optics option, and after reading thru the forum, I couldn't find DIY project or commercial products available. Hope to get some feedback

Thxs.

#2 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:53 AM

Yes. Here is a review of the remote slave sensor called the Triggerfish. I don't own one but I have used it with an Inon z240 on a couple of workshops.

http://wetpixel.com/...-slave-trigger/

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch

#3 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

The Triggerfish remote trigger works well on an Inon Z240...I also use Sea&Sea YS-60 and YS-90 for remote strobe work, and the trigger will NOT work with them. In this example the Z240 is hidden behind the iMac screen, giving the impression its lit up:-

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#4 bighead

bighead

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

Thxs everyone. Seems like the triggerfish slave unit is the only option available in the market.

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1581 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

You certainly can do it other ways. The Z240 can easily be used as a slave receiver by simply pointing your on-camera strobe at the sensor on the strobe.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

You can see a set up with multiple Z240's with triggerfish here:
http://forum-photosu....php?f=4&t=7421

These first photos were taken by Hélene doing some of her first wide angle - and posted from the sea using the Wi-Fi on board during my Red Sea workshop in June - so minimal post processing.

Phil Sokol got the best shot of this setup, but I can't find it online.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#7 RWBrooks

RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:The Natural World. The Sciences

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

I like this one:
http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/
The infinite loop. Been wondering what these types of images are called for ages.

Richard Brooks
Media Producer
Federated States of Micronesia

Visit My Website(s)

#8 bighead

bighead

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

the triggerfish works excellently ... thxs Hedwig.

#9 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

Usually Inon strobes are work well without additional accessory.
http://wetpixel.com/...topic=43491&hl=

#10 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

The only problem with Triggerfish (I have two although one of them floods everytime I use it...) is when you don´t want to light the area where it is located. That is when you need to go the optical fiber route...
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#11 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:02 AM

The only problem with Triggerfish (I have two although one of them floods everytime I use it...) is when you don´t want to light the area where it is located. That is when you need to go the optical fiber route...

I don't use triggerfish or the heinrichs weikamp sensors, because i think that optical should be the way to go. Had no one ever developed something that collects and directs light into an optical fiber cable that?

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#12 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1107 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

Had no one ever developed something that collects and directs light into an optical fiber cable that?

Hello Udo, what do you mean?
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#13 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:10 AM

Hello Udo, what do you mean?

oops, i see i forgot to finish my sentence.. it should be : Had no one ever developed something that collects and directs light into an optical fiber cable that is connected to the optical sensor of the strobe. I mean, it should be a sort of transparant unit or plastic marble where you can put in a fiber cable which internally directs/reflects incoming light into the optical cable towards the strobe. Probably something similar to the optical triggerplug that was delivered with my new D800 housing.

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#14 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:08 AM

I like this one:
http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/
The infinite loop. Been wondering what these types of images are called for ages.

Ah...yes...the infinite loop. This one has a Inon Z240 strobe on a small tripod behind the iMac screen...and a triggerfish remote trigger hidden somewhere just out of frame...

Glad you liked it...
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#15 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

As bvananat already mentioned, the INON sensors are rather sensible and you should be able to trigger them with your camera strobe if the strobe sensor is exposed to the camera strobe.
If this is not feasible due to murky water, weak camera strobe or long distances you can buy a standard fiber optic cable and use it to trigger the strobe far and
this strobe may trigger some other strobes near enough to not use fiber optic cable.
As in your profile you write that you use a Oly 5050 you need to build a fiber optic adapter block to stick on your housing in front of the camera strobe,
maybe for multiple cables to trigger more than one strobes.
This one for example: http://www.fantasea....=2&category=495
Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 31 August 2012 - 09:48 AM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website