Photo
- - - - -

Having all sorts of problems with an Ikelite for EOS M3 ...anyone with same housing?

EOS M3 Ikelite

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Seta

Seta

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:37 PM

Hello:

I wonder if there is more people using this case; I can not believe I am the only one with such bad luck. Let me explain myself:

Last September bought an Ikelite housing for Canon EOS M3, it was an upgrade from a canon G7X with a cheap Canon housing. I can nottell how much I regret updating to this case.

I am on an 8 month trip around southeast Asia, came without testing it first (my mistake) and once I got to Bali I found the MF/Left button did not work, whenever I pressed left button the ISO (up button) would come instead. This button is needed specially to change focus point position.

Other problem the case had was when going deep 30m/90ft the case became unusable ( the 60m depth rating is a joke), like the back plate was being pushed inwards by water pressure jamming some buttons, like if they were being pushed all the time. Last year I took my cheap Canon underwater case to 50m with no problems at all.

I have to say that Ikelite was very comprehensive and accepted me to return the camera from Bali and sent it back to me to the Phillipines free of charge, also they gave me a zoom gear needed.  They tested the case with the camera they have and said after adjusting the camera holding plate it was OK. Only problem is they returned the case with the same problem, overall  the case works better now but MF button still does not work. I told them this but they did not answer back.

In my opinion the problem is caused by the substandard and poorly designed back wheel, it would be OK to find this piece on a cheap chinese case but not on a 1000$ Made in USA case. If they had used something similar to the back wheel on the Sony RX100 or Canon G7X case I feel there would be not problem as the push buttons are completely independent from the backwheel. Newer EOS M5 and M6 cases do not have this back wheel; is like they knew this wheel is problematic and yet they still kept on selling it, I think they should not. 

Now on top of that some small grains of sand have started to build and sometimes the push buttons get stuck. The sooth surface of this buttons makes getting  them out almost impossible underwater. after having seen other cases like Fantasea and even Meikon the buttons have irregular shapes that can be grabbed more easily.

I guess the only thing I can do is wait until I get back to Spain and send it together with my camera to have it serviced  and then just get rid of it...If I sold it the way it is now I would feel like I am robbing money. If I was back in Spain I would also ask for a full reimbursement. I am also thinking of getting an EOS M6 case instead as it does not have this back wheel but just thinking of investing more money on ikelite makes me sick.

Now I have to spend one more month in the Philippines, going next to Sulawesi and Raja Ampat with a camera I can not properly use. It is kind of ruining my trip.

Regarding the camera I enjoy the EF-M 11-22 a lot, only the corner quality is quite bad with the 6"

dome and the 28mm macro is quite crisp but a bad choice. WD is  so short that at 1X it focuses inside the port; I added a CM-2 and I can get to do 0.5X. I should have opted for the EF-S 60 I also own. I also have the 15-45 with me but I do not like its performance neither in the dome nor in the macro port

Regards

Javier

Edited by Seta, 02 February 2018 - 10:40 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EOS M3, Ikelite