BOOT 2007 - Dusseldorf

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nunomix

Nunomix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Diving and more Diving. UW Photography.

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:17 AM

Hi Guys,

I went yesterday to BOOT in Dusseldorf. To my surprise nor Sea&Sea nor Ikelite were represented in the show. There were some stands with a couple of Sea&Sea cameras but only P&S. The big European housings such as Seacam, UK-Germany, Subal, BS Kinetics and Hugyfot were there.

Hugyfot

Hugyfot was present in the BOOT with three housings:

- Canon EOS 350D
- Canon EOS 400D
- Canon EOS 5D

Posted Image
Posted Image

Hugyfot had also their 45º viewfinder in the stand. The viewfinder is very easy to install by yourself and can be installed in any of the Hugyfot housings. The quality of the viewfinder is very good and provides very a clear image.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I want this 45º viewfinder !!!

Seacam

Seacam had in the stand their three viewfinders (GPro, Swivelling 45º sportsfinder (S45) and S180). I tried the S45 and it looked great. Seacam showed me how to take out the S45 in a matter of seconds! No pictures on this one I am afraid :D

BS Kinetics

German BS Kinetics housings are made of a composite of carbon fibre and an epoxy resin. This makes the housing extremly light. BS Kinetics housings can be taken until 80 meters deep.

BS Kinetics also has a 45º viewfinder but the image quality was not as clear in the viewfinder as with the Hugyfot and Seacam.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Subal

In Subal I did not see anything special. Since I was in the mood to try viewfinders, also here I tried the Subal viewfinder. I am afraid to say I was not impressed. It looked at the same quality as the one from UK-Germany. The image did not look very clear :) Maybe just my inexperience...

The Boat

Ah.... and of course, I found the right boat to get for diving... just need to collect some more bucks :D

Posted Image

Edited by Nunomix, 21 January 2007 - 10:15 AM.

Nikon D300 / Nikon D700, Tokina 10-17 Fisheye, Nikon AF-S 14-24mm, Nikon 60mm, Nikon 105mm, Sea&Sea MDX-300, S&S TTL Converter, 2xS&S YS-110, S&S Glass Dome Port, S&S Compact Flat Port, S&S Extension Rings SX and 40 Fisheye Focus Light

http:/nunosanches.com/journal

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:09 AM

The UK Germany ring flash looks interesting:
http://www.flickr.co...57594490621463/

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#3 Tobias

Tobias

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:25 AM

Hi,

here are my pictures from yesterday:

Regards,
Tobias

www.BELOW-SURFACE.com - Canon 5D MKII - SEACAM silver

#4 Rattus

Rattus

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:24 AM

The UK Germany ring flash looks interesting:
http://www.flickr.co...57594490621463/

Aah, that'll be a housed Canon MR-14EX. Should be able to do full TTL on Canons with a 6 pin bulkhead.

Did I mention I got the Inon quadflash working in TTL on my 5D? Pretty sweet, but aperture too narrow for many good macro lenses. :D

Martyn
Canon 5D
S&S DX-5D housing, TTL, YS-110s, ULCS, etc.

#5 hydraulicphoto

hydraulicphoto

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:03 AM

Martyn, I'm interested in the Inon ring flash for my SEA&SEA 5D housing to use with my 100mm lens. I'm keen to hear about your TTL customization, please (as well as any other comments on the ring).
Thanks
Cheers
Marc

#6 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:47 AM

Alex, I thought about mentioning the UK germany ring flash separately, but then i found an old thread:

http://wetpixel.com/...?showtopic=1009

it seems to exist for some time.
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#7 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:12 AM

Wow. I am impressed by your research skills! It is always scary to read such old threads.

Alex

#8 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:22 AM

Ha ha, maybe we can dig up some embarassing funny stuff :-)

after a moan in the feedback forum
http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=16149

I discovered the google search in the right hand corner. This gives the functionality that i was craving for in that post. And it turns out it works quite well.

Gerard
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#9 Rattus

Rattus

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:11 AM

Martyn, I'm interested in the Inon ring flash for my SEA&SEA 5D housing to use with my 100mm lens. I'm keen to hear about your TTL customization, please (as well as any other comments on the ring).
Thanks
Cheers
Marc

Hi Marc,

There's not much customisation to speak of, I just plugged the Inon Z-22 Quadflash into my Sea&Sea TTL Converter and gave it a fairly brief test at Ocean Optics in London. The TTL performance seemed fine. Subjects within a reasonable macro range came out well exposed independant of the camera settings. It's worth noting that the practical underwater range of a ring flash is very limited due to the propensity to cause hideous backscatter at short distances than standard guns.

I was coincidentally at Ocean Optics to listen to a talk by Mark Webster, who uses the Quadflash for almost 100% of his macro shots. It gives a superb quality of light for small underwater subjects, making them appear to almost glow from inside.

As I mentioned above though, the tricky thing will be housing the lens. The Quadflash does not leave much room for lens ports, which means in general that a custom port will be needed.

I haven't pushed ahead with it because at the moment I'm more interested in wide angle.

Martyn
Canon 5D
S&S DX-5D housing, TTL, YS-110s, ULCS, etc.

#10 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:23 AM

Digideep have started to post lots of pictures and reports from BOOT:
http://www.digideep.com/

Alex

#11 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 03:28 PM

BS Kinetics also has a 45º viewfinder but the image quality was not as clear in the viewfinder as with the Hugyfot ...

Many visitors compared the competing viewfinders during Boot show. One thing I noticed that many haven’t been aware of one thing. You can only compare housing finders side by side if you have exactly the same camera inside different housings. For example, if you have a 5D in housing A, there is no way for housing B with some crop camera inside to get such a big viewfinder image, no matter how good the enhanced viewfinder is. On the other hand, corner shading is basically more critical with a 5D. The camera provides the viewfinder image. A cheap housing finder will shrink it. An enhanced housing finder will almost maintain the camera’s viewfinder image size. I have done some comparison shots how different cameras behave with standard/enhanced viewfinder. I hope I find the time to post them when I am back home.

Julian
| Canon 5D I+II / Sealux CC5-GD I+II custom converted | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |

#12 BrantD

BrantD

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:50 PM

Many visitors compared the competing viewfinders during Boot show. One thing I noticed that many haven’t been aware of one thing. You can only compare housing finders side by side if you have exactly the same camera inside different housings. For example, if you have a 5D in housing A, there is no way for housing B with some crop camera inside to get such a big viewfinder image, no matter how good the enhanced viewfinder is. On the other hand, corner shading is basically more critical with a 5D. The camera provides the viewfinder image. A cheap housing finder will shrink it. An enhanced housing finder will almost maintain the camera’s viewfinder image size. I have done some comparison shots how different cameras behave with standard/enhanced viewfinder. I hope I find the time to post them when I am back home.

Julian

Julian,
I'll be looking for that post! :lol:
Brant

#13 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1456 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:22 AM

[quote name='Rattus' date='Jan 24 2007, 03:11 AM' post='116253']
Hi Marc,

There's not much customisation to speak of, I just plugged the Inon Z-22 Quadflash into my Sea&Sea TTL Converter and gave it a fairly brief test at Ocean Optics in London. The TTL performance seemed fine. Subjects within a reasonable macro range came out well exposed independant of the camera settings. It's worth noting that the practical underwater range of a ring flash is very limited due to the propensity to cause hideous backscatter at short distances than standard guns.

I was coincidentally at Ocean Optics to listen to a talk by Mark Webster, who uses the Quadflash for almost 100% of his macro shots. It gives a superb quality of light for small underwater subjects, making them appear to almost glow from inside.

As I mentioned above though, the tricky thing will be housing the lens. The Quadflash does not leave much room for lens ports, which means in general that a custom port will be needed.

I haven't pushed ahead with it because at the moment I'm more interested in wide angle.

Martyn

On the other hand, I have been using the Inon ringflash with Matthias's converter. It works fine at really small f stops but not quite so well larger than f11 or so. The quality of the pictures I think is amazing, but the quality of the hardware appears spotty, after 10 or so dives, the battery cap needs to be adjusted very carefully and after 20 dives, it often can't be used in any way.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net