• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 adamtaylor

adamtaylor

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:20 AM

The image flip can be turned off and it's not intrusive. I haven't had it flip on me unless I was tipping the camera to the extreme. How you describe your use of the camera is exactly why I have it set this way. It's really easy to adjust in this orientation.

I have the camera's built in screen turned off and I can get to the buttons and dials just fine. Attached are some bad iphone pics to give you an idea. I have the tilt adjust in several positions. It adjusts easily underwater. Positioned behind the camera it's less of a sail in current, but it still creates drag.

Thanks for the images, really helps appreciate scale.

Looks like an extra long clamp, and that the monitor can swing into a few different orientations easily.

Thanks

Adam 

<p>Olympus OMD E-M5, Nauticam Housing,12-40 f2.8 with 180mmm dome & extensions, 12-50mm & 60mm in macro port, 8mm Panasonic Fisheye in 4" mini-dome, 2 x YS-D1, Sola 800

#22 adamtaylor

adamtaylor

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

5e1494b5474470e09087854f3610c1c7.jpg

b4fef22c0aadc5247d2b1a4896fc7723.jpg

91fb43c0ef1b7787d0c08716881ef20c.jpg

Regards - Richard

Thanks for the images,

Kind of what I recall from the marketing materials, but it does seem to tuck in tight behind the camera. Must feel like a brick underwater without the floats ;-)

Can you still access the top and front buttons / dials easily?

Am thinking cost wise I will going for one of the other two...

Regards,

Adam

<p>Olympus OMD E-M5, Nauticam Housing,12-40 f2.8 with 180mmm dome & extensions, 12-50mm & 60mm in macro port, 8mm Panasonic Fisheye in 4" mini-dome, 2 x YS-D1, Sola 800

#23 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:37 PM

I'm about to pull the trigger on either the DNC-7A or the DNC-5A. Any reccomendation as between the two? Phisically, they seem to be roughly the same size, with the 7A being neutral and the 5A 300g negative.

#24 Oceanshutter

Oceanshutter

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:10 AM

I also have the nauticam small hd setup.  I do like the idea of flipping it upside down.  Never thought about that before.  

I also like the nauticam setup and personally don't know how I did it without it in the past.   The focus peaking is a huge selling factor for me.  I also find the color to be pretty good as well.  It is very easy to use as well with different modes depending on what you want to see.  You can flip between them with 1 button push.  There are some cons however that I think Nauticam could address.

-The HDMI cable is very finicky.  I always travel with a spare cable and bulkhead.

-The housing is larger than it needs to be.

-The shade is an addon that is ridiculously priced.  But I do like it.  Especially for shallow water.

-Dustin

My Video's

Website - www.OceanShutter.com

Like our Facebook page! - www.facebook.com/oceanshutter

#25 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:23 AM

I agree, for the price Nauticam charge for external HDMI cables, they need to be more than 'normal' HDMI cables with added bulkheads...

I had the cable on my NA-FLAME dead on arrival, thankfully Nauticam replaced it FoC for me, but I was quoted in excess of £320 for a replacement. Which is way way too much

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#26 bubffm

bubffm

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

The problem is that Nauticam uses a micro HDMI plug to connect to the bulkhead, which is a flimsy connection by definition... DiveandSee uses a mini HDMI, being quite a bit more solid in my view.

#27 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:18 AM

So what's the conclusion? The dive and see 5 inch or the small HD 5 inch? Is the colors really not reliable as I read with the dive and see?
And how much problems does the small HD mini hdmi cable give u underwater?
I actually like the features of the small HD more but having usable cables is priority nr1

Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

#28 adamtaylor

adamtaylor

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:29 AM

So what's the conclusion? The dive and see 5 inch or the small HD 5 inch? Is the colors really not reliable as I read with the dive and see?
And how much problems does the small HD mini hdmi cable give u underwater?
I actually like the features of the small HD more but having usable cables is priority nr1

Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

As I will occasionally use the monitor topside I have opted for SmallHD 502 (so I can send up a surface feed in the future).

Ordered the housing and just waiting to see if there are any Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals for the monitor.

Will comment after I have tried it out.

Regards

Adam

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

#29 Pyroracer

Pyroracer

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:38 PM

5e1494b5474470e09087854f3610c1c7.jpg

b4fef22c0aadc5247d2b1a4896fc7723.jpg

91fb43c0ef1b7787d0c08716881ef20c.jpg

Regards - Richard

How are you liking those Keldan lights? Do you use ambient and spectrum filters?

Thanks for all these input and sample pics. As i'm considering getting a monitor too and this thread has helped me weigh towards the Small Hd 502

#30 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:34 AM

How are you liking those Keldan lights? Do you use ambient and spectrum filters?

I do like my Keldan's (They are the CRI variant), a love soft beam of light, although I'm waiting to upgrade the bulbs to 10,000lm once Keldan release newer ones (they are currently 8,000lm on the market and mine are 5,000lm) That is the amazing thing about the Luna 8 / M8 series - you can upgrade etc

I've got the cyan leds also  (so act the same as the filters you mention)  for shallow water stuff, but find they aren't powerful enough (even thou they are more powerful than normal lights with filters fitted) I prefer at the moment, to dive when it isn't so sunny and outshine the sunlight with lights, and just stick with powerful lights and a preset white balance.

I've tried a range of 'red' filters with my GH4 and I always found it a fudge, as once you fit it, you are locked in to ambient filming.

Keldan are currently demoing a external filter to fit the Nauticam WWL-1, which you sandwich between the wet lens and the flat port - that could be a good compromise.

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#31 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:11 AM

Keldan are currently demoing a external filter to fit the Nauticam WWL-1, which you sandwich between the wet lens and the flat port - that could be a good compromise.

I have tried the same on my RX100 setup. I just cut gel filters (one for blue water one for green) and fit them between the WWL1 lens and the port. Not the easiest solution but it works and the filters are so cheap that you dont care if you loose it when you remove them. I carry couple of them in my wetnotes and just replace it if needed.

Any links for the Keldan ones?

#32 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:52 PM

I do like my Keldan's (They are the CRI variant), a love soft beam of light, although I'm waiting to upgrade the bulbs to 10,000lm once Keldan release newer ones (they are currently 8,000lm on the market and mine are 5,000lm) That is the amazing thing about the Luna 8 / M8 series - you can upgrade etc

I've got the cyan leds also  (so act the same as the filters you mention)  for shallow water stuff, but find they aren't powerful enough (even thou they are more powerful than normal lights with filters fitted) I prefer at the moment, to dive when it isn't so sunny and outshine the sunlight with lights, and just stick with powerful lights and a preset white balance.

I've tried a range of 'red' filters with my GH4 and I always found it a fudge, as once you fit it, you are locked in to ambient filming.

This basically mirrors my own experience. Cyan lights, or cyan filters on lights, just don't have sufficient light output to make a difference. And honestly, I haven't seen any footage below 10-15 meters that's been white balanced to the ambient light that looks all that great -- you just lose too much saturation and color contrast/vibrance. Better to do what the still photographers do and light up the foreground with warm artificial light while keeping the water column it's natural blue or green color rather than grey. 

(I actually would love to be corrected though -- anyone have samples of ambient light video below 10-15m that looks great?)

#33 Pyroracer

Pyroracer

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I now plan on getting the new 2018 Keldan 8x. I'll try them with the filters in my Palau trip this Jan if I can get them on time and see how they go. 

#34 bubffm

bubffm

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I now plan on getting the new 2018 Keldan 8x. I'll try them with the filters in my Palau trip this Jan if I can get them on time and see how they go. 

I have two Keldan Cyan filters laying around in my "unused toys" box which I am thinking of selling.  Let me know if you're interested.

#35 Pyroracer

Pyroracer

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:44 AM

I have two Keldan Cyan filters laying around in my "unused toys" box which I am thinking of selling.  Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks Bub, I was planning on getting the new 2018 filters which are supposedly less scratch prone. Did you find any good use for them or try them with the red spectrum filters from Keldan?

#36 bubffm

bubffm

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:13 AM

Thanks Bub, I was planning on getting the new 2018 filters which are supposedly less scratch prone. Did you find any good use for them or try them with the red spectrum filters from Keldan?

See my post from July here:
http://wetpixel.com/...=58939&p=386266

I did not find them all that useful. They absorb way too much light.

#37 adamtaylor

adamtaylor

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:28 PM

As I will occasionally use the monitor topside I have opted for SmallHD 502 (so I can send up a surface feed in the future).

Ordered the housing and just waiting to see if there are any Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals for the monitor.

Will comment after I have tried it out.

Regards

Adam

Finally getting my new addition in the water once the Marina closes tonight.

b38cd9315f13176f7e10294e3cebeb47.jpg

#38 Pyroracer

Pyroracer

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:18 PM

Finally getting my new addition in the water once the Marina closes tonight.
b38cd9315f13176f7e10294e3cebeb47.jpg

Nice! Just ordered my 501 as well. Did you find any deals? Any plans to flip it upside down? That feels like it would smack me in the face being that high hehe. What applications do you have in mind for a surface feed?

#39 adamtaylor

adamtaylor

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:32 PM

Nice! Just ordered my 501 as well. Did you find any deals? Any plans to flip it upside down? That feels like it would smack me in the face being that high hehe. What applications do you have in mind for a surface feed?

The extra long Nauticam clamp did make it sit fairly high, but I could flip it down, and also flat so I could look straight down while shooting macro.

Will have to figure out how to turn off the auto rotate on the screen as certain angles flipped the image on me...

Battery died about 70 minutes into the dive. It was relatively cold water at +/- 42F and I had played with it out of housing and let sit for a few days. I did expect better battery life with 2 connected, but as I didnt start with full charges will reserve judgement.

Ended up being a night dive which isn't ideal for learning new camera stuff, but saw some cool critters. Had to be selective in what I focused on as the moment we descended there was a seal using our lights to hunt fish.

Have not purchased the surface feed kit yet, but will in future which is why I chose the 502 over the 501 model. Will use at for live-feed at conservation / education events where we have interpreters on shore with some hardy diver-collected species, and likely some salmon stuff in streams and rivers.

Would love to do live-feed from a glass sponge reef, but given the depths it may not be feasible.

But speaking of sponge reefs I look forward to swimming the edge of reef with camera held below pointing diagonally back over the reef. Should be easier to frame the shot with a monitor pointing up

As I am in Canada there were not many options for purchase. I watched prices and purchased online from B&H on Cyber Monday. Got the kit for the same price as monitor alone from a Canadian site...

Regards

Adam