• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 seansrs968

seansrs968

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:06 PM

I am here in Lembeh, and was wondering what is the best way to get a black background for shoots?

#2 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:55 PM

Just use a smaller aperture, say f16 or higher, with a low ISO.  This is assuming you have true negative space, as any background within a meter or so will be illuminated by the strobe.  Shutter speed will have no effect as the strobe is much faster anyway.  

#3 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2051 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:31 PM

Yep, I agree with troporobo: negative space background if you can - and then small aperture, or fast shutter speed. On DX/FX I usually use about f16. 

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#4 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6308 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:01 AM

Key thing is to shoot a subject that is "above" the background, shoot toward the empty water column if the subject allows.  If not, try using a snoot. 

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in the Lembeh Strait at NAD Lembeh with Doug Sloss in 2018
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in the ultimate classroom, Bali! or join us on a trip www.underwatertribe.com and www.baliuwphoto.com

Join us for a trip in Indonesia in Komodo or Raja Ampat

#5 DDT uk

DDT uk

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:27 AM

There is also a technique where you reverse the strobes so that you are effectively firing them backwards. You then use the edge of the beam to light the subject, but not do not light the background.  

#6 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:26 PM

I would really like to get this technique to work for me, but so far have only made a mess trying it.  Given the cone of light that is output by strobes, if the edge of the beam lights the subject then it is guaranteed to light up the water and particles between the lens and subject.  Maybe if the subject is very close, this is less important, but I still get unacceptable backscatter.  Any tips for success?