165 replies to this topic

#41 Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:52 AM

Hey Alex
I wouldn't beat yourself up over this. I don't believe you had anything to do with Martin's book being delayed. I thank you for anouncing his new book. Although I have his third edition, I have already preordered the fourth edition to find out what new tips and tricks he has come up with. Perhaps someday you will write a similar book. In fact, what are you waiting for, I believe a lot of people would be interested in a book like this from you. It's always good to get opinions from differant photographers as everyone takes a little differant approach. One thing I have learned about UW photography, if you want a good picture you have to be patient. I believe the same will be true of Martin's book.
Mike

#42 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:55 AM

Thanks for the support guys. It has been a fun thread. Many books have delays like this (and you just wouldn't hear about it), I just feel a bit guilty that because of my original post - this has been a public delay, rather than a private one. Although I guess if we all go out and buy a copy then Martin will be happy with the result!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#43 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:riding my motorbike(s)

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:22 AM

Thanks for the support guys. It has been a fun thread. Many books have delays like this (and you just wouldn't hear about it), I just feel a bit guilty that because of my original post - this has been a public delay, rather than a private one. Although I guess if we all go out and buy a copy then Martin will be happy with the result!

Alex

Hi Alex
not to worry, it'll make for good reading in the new Year!

(BTW, you might care to change the sub-header of the thread "8 hours away"!)

R

#44 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:14 PM

I hold you totally responsible Alex ;) ....For making me buy this book that will be here once I get _back_ from the Socorros. At least I'll have a very good idea of what i did wrong... :)

Cheers,
Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#45 Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:04 PM

Don't feel bad Jack, even with the book I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! ;)
Mike

#46 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:40 AM

Drat, Amazon just informed me they canceled my pre-order. I was SURE I authorized the delay, but guess I didn't.

Gotta get back in the queue now.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#47 nudibranch

nudibranch

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:diving,photography, hiking, food,friends, family, books in no particular order. <br />Currently one of two persons authorized by the govt to apply for limited permits for in water sperm whale/marine mammal photography.

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:58 AM

Martin,
hope to pick up two copies at LIDS. Alex, will you be around too?

Izzy
Izzy

Arun Madisetti
Roseau
Commonwealth of Dominica

www.imagesdominica.com

#48 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:15 AM

Coincidently, I had lunch with Martin today. He will definitely be at LIDS, I will be if I am invited to speak.

Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#49 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1529 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:59 AM

Drat, Amazon just informed me they canceled my pre-order. I was SURE I authorized the delay, but guess I didn't.

Gotta get back in the queue now.

I definitely authorized the delay, sent them the authorization notice as well but they still cancelled. Strange
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#50 jmauricio

jmauricio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:25 AM

Got this from amazon.co.uk today.

Please be advised that we have a revised delivery date for the items you ordered on October 15 2009

MARTIN EDGE "The Underwater Photographer"
Estimated arrival date: December 24 2009 - January 06 2010

#51 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:18 AM

Got this from amazon.co.uk today.

Please be advised that we have a revised delivery date for the items you ordered on October 15 2009

Estimated arrival date: December 24 2009 - January 06 2010

Ditto that.

Hopefully between Christmas and New Year so I've got so free time to read it through!

R

#52 jmauricio

jmauricio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:24 AM

Doh and Doh - hope vanquished! another update from Amazon that jives with what Alex has been saying. note: not that i doubted Alex's post or his source (Martin), was just holding out whatever hope was left.

[We regret to inform you that your order will take longer to fulfill than originally estimated. Our supplier has notified us that there is a delay obtaining stock for the following items you ordered on October 15 2009.

We are awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon as we receive this information.]

Edited by jmauricio, 11 December 2009 - 05:24 AM.

#53 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:33 AM

Doh and Doh - hope vanquished! another update from Amazon that jives with what Alex has been saying. note: not that i doubted Alex's post or his source (Martin), was just holding out whatever hope was left.

Heard from Martin yesterday. All seems on track for the dates posted earlier.

Alex

#54 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:25 AM

Heard from Martin yesterday. All seems on track for the dates posted earlier.

Alex

Not according to Amazon, just received this:

Dear Customer,
Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

We regret to inform you that we have been unable to obtain the following item:

We apologise for the length of time it has taken us to reach this conclusion. Until recently, we had still hoped to obtain this item for you.

This item has now been cancelled from your order and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

We are no longer able to offer this item for sale. Our supplier has informed us that this item has been discontinued and is no longer available.

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment or inconvenience caused.

:-(

R

Edited by ralphy, 12 December 2009 - 11:26 AM.

#55 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:48 AM

Sounds a bit serious. I guess that is just how the amazon order system deals with the delay. The book is still coming in January.

Alex

#56 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:06 PM

Just got the same from Amazon :-(
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#57 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

Scroll up - they cancelled a couple of the rest of us back at the beginning of December.

I wouldn't read much into it either. I'd figure the author would know if he was getting published a bit more than Amazon, especially if the holdup was related to production formats, it was already a done deal.

Just c0mput3rs doing what they do best.

:D

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#58 Crayfish

Crayfish

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:42 PM

Just had my pre- order from Amazon cancelled this really p#$% me off any one else have the same thing happen to them?

Edited by Crayfish, 13 December 2009 - 01:49 AM.

#59 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2127 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:02 AM

Yup!

Amazon can't cope with the delay, so they have binned everyone's order.

Shall we try elsewhere in 2010?
Perhaps Focal Press can help....

Tim

:D

#60 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:16 AM

So far my order has not been canceled and is slated for February delivery. I did o.k. the delay with Amazon months ago..will see what happens.
Has anyone who's order was canceled checked with the publisher to see if they can order from another retailer or from the publisher directly?

Mike
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's