• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mymokarran

mymokarran

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:38 AM

I was about to buy the Sony A 6500/6300 when Nikon announced their newest full-frame mirrorless camera. Should I wait to purchase a mirrorless camera for UWP until then? Or, should I go ahead and purchase the Sony?

I've had Nikon for the past 9 years, with my current camera being the Nikon DSLR D7000. I have a variety of lenses including an 18-300, macro 40mm, wideangle Tamron 11-18, and 50mm. Luckily, the Z-series will be releasing an F-mount adapter keeping my DSLR lenses still in good use.

The Sony is a cheaper option, and one I don't have to wait for. I can also buy cheaper second-hand accesories with this option 

What should I do? 

-Mokarran

#2 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:50 AM

Hi,
your lenses are mostly DX, so no use for them on the new Nikon Z series.
Did you had a housing for the D7000?
If not, you have to make a big step, and then the difference is not so big....
Nikon will need, as well as Sony did, some time to get all needed lenses on start.
But there is a nice pool of available lenses, that Sony didnt had....
The question is, what is your goal? Macro or wide angle?
Z models are FX, means more wide angle than macro possibilities,,,

Regards,
Wolfgang

who thinks about the Z6 after the hot time....

#3 gajipauk

gajipauk

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:17 PM

Also, consider the time between the new camera is launch and the time the housing for that camera is launched.  Have you seen any news on housing manufacturers with plans for the Nikon Z models?

#4 tim.sullivan

tim.sullivan

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:52 PM

Are you more interested in photo or video? What are you currently using? The 6300/6500 have been out for a while so there are certainly more "used" options available. I know Nauticam is working on a housing for the Nikon Mirrorless and they usually don't take too long to get them into production.

-Tim

#5 okuma

okuma

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:05 PM

Look up reviews of the Z camera. If I'm not mistaken, the battery life on these is very low!

Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 500, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#6 JamesR

JamesR

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 04:38 AM

Look up reviews of the Z camera. If I'm not mistaken, the battery life on these is very low!

Real-world tests are getting a lot more than the rating on Nikon's site...like 3-4x as many shots.

As others have mentioned elsewhere, the housing specs for the Nauticam NA-Z7 and NA-D850 show them to be very close to the same size, which (for me) completely negates the size advantage of the Z7 over the D850 body.

-James

Flickr | 500px (some nsfw in both)

#7 Beckhamiq

Beckhamiq

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 08:11 AM

I think not necessary. The most common used lens for nikon is 105mm for macro and 16mm for wide angle.

Both will need a extension ring on Z series. I think the housing company will have to design new port also. 

And most important, Z7 has weaker performance than D850 on dynamic focusing. That is very crucial underwater.