Jump to content


What Insurance Should I get?


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mymokarran



  • Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:16 AM



I am the owner of a Sony A6300 and I'm planning to purchase a Fantasea housing! I am seriously considering purchasing a homeowner's insurance since this is my first rig. What companies and plans should I be looking at?


Cheers! Thanks for the help!



#2 TimG


    Sperm Whale

  • Moderator
  • 2363 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amsterdam
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, good food and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club.

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:19 AM

Hi Natasha

This issue has been discussed a number of times. It’s worth doing a search.

The general view was, in the US, to use home insurance for equipment cover.

In some ways you need to decide what might get written off by a leak: the camera and lens for example. But if the housing is simply a box with mechanical bits, would that be a right off? Once you have decided that, I’d talk to the insurer to make sure whatever needs cover would actually be covered and what the exclusions might be.

(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#3 lateralus821



  • Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:15 AM

You can also get a separate SquareTrade insurance policy - they cover all types of electronics and I have had GREAT service/coverage from them with issues in the past.