26 replies to this topic

#21 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:24 AM

I have the same mask with the same problem and the glass is not what needs to be cleaned it is the inside skirt of the mask. Phil

Hey Phil, Tell me more please. Do you think the inside skirt is still outgassing or something? I hadn't thought of that.

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#22 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2859 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

I thought I’d share an experience from last week in the hope that someone else can avoid my mistakes.

First and foremost I am glad you came through it all unscathed.

Second, congrats to Jeff.

And last I have seen your photos and I will lay money on the fact that you have some great shots, despite all of the issues you encountered. Sorry it had to all happen with the first foray with the new rig (I think this was the first foray?)

#23 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:58 PM

Second, congrats to Jeff.

And last I have seen your photos and I will lay money on the fact that you have some great shots, despite all of the issues you encountered. Sorry it had to all happen with the first foray with the new rig (I think this was the first foray?)

Thanks Drew, Yep, it was the first time with the 40D, First digital trip. Here is one I was able to get with my eyes closed on that dive and Jeff's shot . Mine's not great, but the potential is there. If I could have seen the lower angel the timing might have been different but who knows. I learned so much from the first trip. Only took me two dives to stop shooting 36 images a dive. ;) Can't wait to get back in the water. (with a clean mask) :)

Steve

Posted Image

Posted Image

Having fun!

The Fin Foundation

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#24 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2859 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:16 PM

Thanks Drew, Yep, it was the first time with the 40D, First digital trip.

Cool I remembered correctly, thought so. Watching you go through the shopping and selection process was exciting for me :P (I may move to the 40D at some point myelf)

Here is one I was able to get with my eyes closed on that dive

Eyes, we don't need no stinkin' eyes :P Good shot and the colors are real nice on my screen.

Jeff's shot .

Nice.

Only took me two dives to stop shooting 36 images a dive. :)

I hear that, though I usually shot .Tifs with my first digital after my Nikonos and with the large 128 Meg card it was 55 shots, so not quite as much of a shock as jumping from a Nik to your rig :)

Can't wait to get back in the water. (with a clean mask) :P

;) to that

#25 zif2000

zif2000

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Dive Dive Dive

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:59 PM

I use the gentle lighter trick on new masks to get rid of the oils. You need to be really gentle and go slow.

For Antifog: Johnsons & Johnsons baby shampoo. No more tears.
Brett Tisschler
http://www.teamtischler.com
Dive Dive Dive!

#26 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:46 PM

I dive Atomic masks and had issues with fogging until I tried the 500 psi mask scrub. They have it in little 99 cent packets at the local Divers Direct or online: http://www.diversdir...rub-Pak_ID43129 Don't know why that worked better than SoftScrub, toothpaste, and a lighter, but it did.
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#27 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:59 PM

Thanks Stephen, really appreciate the info. I'll give it a try. :huh:
Steve

The Fin Foundation