• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#121 shootingdestin

shootingdestin

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 04:16 AM

I've recently switched from DiveR composite fins in an Omer foot pocket to the 300 foot pockets from C4 using the C4 Indian soft (25) blade.  They are amazing.  Easily a pound lighter than anything I've ever worn and extremely hydrodynamic and efficient.

As far as coral concerns/worries from freedive fins, our area (Destin, Fl) doesn't have coral beds, just sand bottoms and wrecks. 

Cheers

#122 phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 07:21 AM

Long-time (10 years) user of Apollo Bio-Fin Pro, with spring strap.   Wore out one set of spring straps, but the fins are doing fine.

There are pros and cons for these fins.   They are natural rubber split fins.   They are very efficient.  I swapped fins once with a buddy, and it was like wearing nothing at all!  I thrashed my feet, but didn't seem to move much.  Meanwhile my buddy would flip one fin and be 10 feet ahead. Bottom line is, they work very well indeed for moving forward and saving air.

The con is that they are heavy.   Heavy to pack, and heavy in the water, so they tend to pull your feet down.  I sometimes blow air through my wetsuit into my boots to help trim them out a bit.  

Being soft, they also are not easy to back up in.  You can do it, but slowly.  I assume a stiffer fin is better at this.

#123 cjorca

cjorca

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Diving/Freediving, hiking, photography

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:11 PM

Cool thread !

Warm water - love my Cressi Garra Blades .... I’ve had the same pair for over 20 yrs ....
NEVER touched the reef with them (keep a nice frog kick or high ankle scull & WALA - silt free & coral safe)

Cold water - the same USD Blades I bought shortly after I 1st stared diving in 1989 (have upgraded to spring straps for easier on/off)
Also have a pair of Quatros too.
I’ve always thought to try others, but never seamed to get around to it

#124 hellhole

hellhole

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:51 AM

I think which fin to choose will depends on which one makes you the better diver. As in your control. We all know that biuyancy is a Hugh factor in taking pictures.

Light or heavy fins will only be relavent on your travel needs.

#125 julianribinik

julianribinik

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:18 PM

:)

#126 Oceanus

Oceanus

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:43 AM

Funny how some threads seem to live forever. There's lots of good information accumulated in this one.

For travel and tropical water the fairly new Scubapro Go Travel may be worth considering. They are lightweight, and very comfortable to wear barefoot. I'm a big guy, and find them a bit soft when I really want thrust, but most of my photo dives are quite slow so I can live with that. 

For travel (to tropical water) I switched to barefoot fins years ago. When I don't need boots / socks it also saves weight, and its one less item to forget or lose. Other barefoot fins often give me blisters after 2-3 days of intense diving, the Scubapro Go Travel is the first barefoot fin I have tried that doesn't. 

The spring strap design is actually really comfortable, and makes them fit most people.

Christopher Andersen

christopher@oceanus.no | + 47 924 32 450

#127 Brian Jacobsen

Brian Jacobsen

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Family, Diving and Photography

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

+1 for the Scubapro travel fin.  Very easy to wear

#128 ianmarsh

ianmarsh

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:59 PM

Agree with the Scubapro Go travel fin sentiment ...very comfortable, indeed.

Only negative....Maybe a little lacking in power if needed.

#129 bnf-austin

bnf-austin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 11:29 AM

Any opinions on the OMS Slipstream fin? I see they have a new material and have slightly changed the design...

l love mine. Previously dove the Tusa split fins, the Scubapro Twinjet Max split fin, the Hollis F2 and finally landed on the old style slipstreams and pretty much wore them out, so I bought the new style in white.

Another possible suggestion would the IST military style fin:
http://istsports.com...?id_category=60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#130 Samir.singh

Samir.singh

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Winter Golfing

Posted 05 May 2019 - 02:10 PM

At my first dive center, people swore by Aqualung stratos-1(full foot), they have weird sizing although. I remember, some staff used them for seasons together, even in current 2-3 knots. Personally, my size was a issue and I landed up with blisters a lot of the times with those so I used Mares Avantti Quattro- amazing fins but they were super heavy. Aqualung came out with a stratos 3 (also full foot) which fit me perfectly, since then I have been very happy with the propulsion. I travel with them wherever I go, quite lightweight and yet they give me the power I need, in all situations. The blade is perfect stiffness for me, but this might not be the case for everyone.
In my experience, I would say try out what works for you best, we each have different strength generated by our kicks which varies by the length of the kick, leg strength, possibly the wave, oscillation etc, and maybe various other factors too..Some say- Strong legs would do better with a stiff blade, and weaker ones need more flexible fins.

The gull's, for most they are overly flexible and personally I don't move with them :D but then some people really it. They sure feel good to touch  :notworthy:

If you like a pair, stick with it :)

Edited by Samir.singh, 05 May 2019 - 02:12 PM.

#131 lbedogni

lbedogni

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 01:49 AM

Scubapro jetfins. Heavy but I love them

#132 Kelamik

Kelamik

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba Diving, Surfing, Traveling

Posted Yesterday, 12:25 PM

Hi, my favorite are ScubaPro Seawing.  They provide great propulsion and I can do modified frog kick in them.  One drawback to these is that you cannot do a traditional frog-kick in these.  However, if I were ever in a strong current I would want to have these on.  Recently I did 150 dives in these, all while photographing with a full frame Ikelite set-up.  They worked great.