• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mackman

mackman

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:23 AM

I recently purchased a couple of SOLA video lights and realized they use a slightly different charger than my existing SOLA diving lights. The old lights use an 8.4V charger but say in big letters 12V on the back of the light. The new lights have a 12V charger. Both chargers are rated for 2A but there's a metal peg that is in a different spot on the two chargers that prevents using the same charger for both sets of lights. Anybody know why some of the "12V" lights use an 8.4V charger and what kind of horrible thing would happen if I removed the peg so I could cary less chargers with me? I'm also amused that the charging indicator on the 12V lights moved in the opposite direction of the 8.4V ones :-)  I wonder if the polarity is reversed :-)

#2 kdgonzalez

kdgonzalez

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:26 PM

I have 2 sola lights also and had the same questions.  When I asked backscatter they said that you can remove the pin that makes it only fit into one of the lights and that it wont affect its performace, basically they said the pin is not connected to any electronic system and its there just for guidance.  It tried to remove it by trying to pull it and couldnt, so you would have to snip it but I didnt want to do that.  So now Im basically traveling with 2 charges.

#3 mackman

mackman

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 08:46 AM

I did end up talking to Light & Motion and they indicated the chargers are at different voltages and are not compatible.