Winter musings

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:21 AM

There are 2 things to considers: Price of camera and price of housing.

For the price of camera, the GH5 definitely is a winner.

If Nauticam doesn't make housing for the GX10, you are only left with Gates, which have very expensive and bulky housing.

Also, 150Mb for 60fps 4K seems very small for file size, so will have to see how good is the image after all the compression. Other than that, GX10 do have lots of flexibility in term of WA and Macro, and built in ND filter. I'm just curious how much control can you have on the camcorder once it's put into housing. Many modern camcorder have touch screen menu now so once put into housing, you can only use one or 2 buttons.

#42 bubffm

bubffm

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:39 AM

I wouldnt necessarily call the Gates housing bulky and expensive.  If I compare the Gates AX 100 housing to the Nauticam GH5 with an Acrylic port, then, yes the Gates is a bit heavier. But it is completely neutrally buoyant, which I certainly cant say about the Nauticam GH5 with acrylic port (flips skywards). And the weight balance between the two will tip quickly if you use a glass port and carry other accessories / port options.  I can tell you I carried more weight on my last trip with the GH5 than ever before with my Gates AX100.

Same on the price: While just the housing for the GH5 is some 700 USD less than the Gates, by the time you add ports, extension rings, lenses etc. you are likely to spend SIGNIFICANTLY more on a ready-to-shoot GH5 setup than on a Gates AX100, which is pretty much ready to shoot out of the box with a wide angle port and a Saga flip added for close Macro.

In the end it will depend what quality the new Canon's can deliver, and then if Gates (or others) consider it worthwhile / see a sufficient market to invest resources to design a housing for it.

And the even bigger question: WiIl there be a successor for the Sony AX100 and what might that have on offer...

Edited by bubffm, 15 September 2017 - 01:44 AM.

#43 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:46 AM

The FDR-AX700 has just been announced...!

https://www.sony.com...rders/fdr-ax700

No idea if it would fit the AX100 housing?

Edited by thetrickster, 15 September 2017 - 01:49 AM.

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#44 bubffm

bubffm

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:41 AM

I guess they had to react to Canon!

On fitting the old Housing: No, the right hand side of the Housing looks too bulky, more like the Sony X70 (the "Pro" version of the AX100).

In fact looking at the specs it seems to be pretty much a re-branded X70 (sans Handle). Many reasons not to get too excited:

* still only seems to do 30p in 4k - and I have already started to really appreciate the 4K 60p option on the GH5!  

* still a 100Mbps codec.  
* no more than 8bit in 4K

Nope, thats not quite it.

Edited by bubffm, 15 September 2017 - 03:43 AM.

#45 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:50 AM

Looks like they missed the boat on that one - shame...and surprised!

Well at least it makes me feel a bit warm inside, sticking with the GH4/5 as I was almost tempted by a AX100 previously

Regards, Richard

---

www.RichardWait.com

#46 wydeangle

wydeangle

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

The new Canon GX10 could be quite interesting! My AX100 Sony doesn't seem to have the brightness of color that my old Canon G10 did.

Looking at the pictures of the new Canon GX10 on B&H Photo's web site seemed fine - until I saw the "AIR INTAKE" and "EXHAUST VENT" labels on the right side of the new camera. I wonder if the 150 Mbps data rate causes some component(s) inside the camera to generate noticeable heat?

Any housing design for the GX10 would probably need to account for some heat transfer - trapping heat underwater couldn't be good, especially on hour+ dives.

Otherwise, I'm certainly tempted.

I've also looked at the advance information on the Sony AX700 which may replace the AX100; there doesn't seem to be enough increase in capability at first glance to be worth an upgrade. I didn't see any higher data rate, or frame rate.

I'm definitely staying tuned...

Tom

#47 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:03 AM

The new Canon GX10 could be quite interesting! My AX100 Sony doesn't seem to have the brightness of color that my old Canon G10 did.

Looking at the pictures of the new Canon GX10 on B&H Photo's web site seemed fine - until I saw the "AIR INTAKE" and "EXHAUST VENT" labels on the right side of the new camera. I wonder if the 150 Mbps data rate causes some component(s) inside the camera to generate noticeable heat?

Any housing design for the GX10 would probably need to account for some heat transfer - trapping heat underwater couldn't be good, especially on hour+ dives.

Otherwise, I'm certainly tempted.

I've also looked at the advance information on the Sony AX700 which may replace the AX100; there doesn't seem to be enough increase in capability at first glance to be worth an upgrade. I didn't see any higher data rate, or frame rate.

I'm definitely staying tuned...

Tom

I originally moved to Canon from Sony camcorders because of the color issues, so I am a bit wary of any Sony cameras right now.

Good catch on the air intake and exhausts.  I had missed those.  That could definitely be an issue, especially on longer dives as you point out.

Thanks!

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#48 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:23 AM

So, now it appears that Sony is also coming up with some new camcorders (Sony FDR-AX700, HXR-NX80, and PXW-Z90) as well.  I wonder if their underwater white balance is any better than it used to be?

Public Safety Diver

#49 matdiver1234

matdiver1234

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 01:01 AM

I wonder if their underwater white balance is any better than it used to be?

Single 1" chip.... don't hold your breath!  

Matt

https://vimeo.com/user778053/videos

Panasonic GH2 - 10 Bar housing - 50W Kowalski Maxum

#50 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:36 AM

Single 1" chip.... don't hold your breath!  

Yeah, that's what I was worried about.  Thanks!

Public Safety Diver