• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PCDiver

PCDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:29 AM

I'm thinking about using SonicFire Pro from Smartsound. Has anybody used this before? Any problems?
I know you can donwload and purchase individual music tracks via their software. Is it expensive?

Thanks,

Peter
>>> Submerge Productions dedicated to technical diving

#2 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:56 AM

It's the bees knees Peter. I've been using it almost exclusively since Steve raved about it a couple of years ago. You can get an amazing variety of tracks and of course you can time them virtually to the second (I say virtually as sometimes you'll want to slightly over run or under run to get exactly what you want). It's great for musically challenged editors like me!! :)

Cheers, Simon

#3 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

It's the bees knees Peter. I've been using it almost exclusively since Steve raved about it a couple of years ago. You can get an amazing variety of tracks and of course you can time them virtually to the second (I say virtually as sometimes you'll want to slightly over run or under run to get exactly what you want). It's great for musically challenged editors like me!! :)

Cheers, Simon

I have had pretty good results with it too (and I suck at music in general :)

here's links to a couple of vids I used it on:

http://nickambrose.c...ie-feb-2008.mov

http://nickambrose.c...am-feb-2008.mov

I find I can sometimes modify a single track enough for a couple of movies but not that much more.

#4 PCDiver

PCDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:01 PM

I have had pretty good results with it too (and I suck at music in general :)

here's links to a couple of vids I used it on:

http://nickambrose.c...ie-feb-2008.mov

http://nickambrose.c...am-feb-2008.mov

I find I can sometimes modify a single track enough for a couple of movies but not that much more.

Great stuff. Nice cave as well. Not yet my cup of tea, I'm more of wrecky, but one day ...

#5 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:28 PM

Great stuff. Nice cave as well. Not yet my cup of tea, I'm more of wrecky, but one day ...

Thanks -- I am a wrecky too, but got into caves. My advice: unless you have the time to get addicted to the caves, dont even plan a trip -- I did and had to go 3 times last year and now 3 this year!

I am going to get some more video of local wrecks though, as I should have the wide-angle lens soon and some better lighting.

#6 PCDiver

PCDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

Hi Limeyx,

Currently I don't have the time to start something new. I'm busy enough with our website, wreck trips, rebreathers, promo films and video interviews. And I've got a normal job as well :-)

Any interesting wrecks in your area? BTW, what is your area?

Peter

Edited by PCDiver, 13 March 2008 - 10:43 PM.

#7 geoffd

geoffd

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:51 AM

I'm thinking about using SonicFire Pro from Smartsound. Has anybody used this before? Any problems?
I know you can donwload and purchase individual music tracks via their software. Is it expensive?

Thanks,

Peter

This package is great. I saw Steve raving about it on here a few weeks back and got a copy of it. I've just used it for the video news package we did for the London International Dive Show that was on last weekend - video can be found here www.diveaday.tv/content/view/81/1

I used the Mood feature extensively in this video to bring the backing track up and down for the VO and interviews - absolutely cracking. I did this by importing the final video into SonicFire and mapping the moods to the spoken parts. The interface is not quite as sharp as a major NLE - it doesn't feel as precise but for how much it costs it's great value for money.

#8 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:00 AM

Hi Limeyx,

Currently I don't have the time to start something new. I'm busy enough with our website, wreck trips, rebreathers, promo films and video interviews. And I've got a normal job as well :-)

Any interesting wrecks in your area? BTW, what is your area?

Peter

There are some decent wrecks around here (Los Angeles), both locally and a bit farther afield (San Diego)

Unfortunately a lot of them have been dived a lot and so there may not be too much interest in them, but I am planning a lot of video this year as I just spent a fortune upgrading my video setup. I also want to do some stills of wrecks and actually write up some articles etc.

We were just on the tuna clipper off of catalina in about 180, a small wreck but we got some outstanding ambient light (but I didnt bring the camera as I'm still getting used to those depths) -- I am going to try to find out some more details on where the wreck came from.

We have plenty in recreational levels (80-120 feet) also, which are a bit easier to shoot.

I will also be up in Canada/Seattle for 4 days in April and planning some penetration dives in some of the easier wrecks up there.

#9 PCDiver

PCDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:20 AM

We were just on the tuna clipper off of catalina in about 180, a small wreck but we got some outstanding ambient light (but I didnt bring the camera as I'm still getting used to those depths) -- I am going to try to find out some more details on where the wreck came from.

Be careful with those deeper dives ... you might end up buying a rebreather :P

Edited by PCDiver, 14 March 2008 - 11:20 AM.

#10 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:10 PM

Be careful with those deeper dives ... you might end up buying a rebreather :P

Extremely unlikely in the short term (2-3 years)
If I do, it will be the RB80 unless some very big safety advances come in other forms of rebreather (but that's not a topic for this board :D

#11 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:15 PM

Just had a long discussion of Sonic Fire with my publisher for the editing websites. The mood enhancer is just a way to create very different versions of a piece of music and is available only on their Strata series discs. However, their other discs not in the Strata Series work just as well. I have a massive library of royalty free music but always seem to use the Sonic Fire as it is so much easier to access. Granted, buying the discs that build up the library can be costly over time, for those making money in this business, no matter how little, the discs can be counted as a tax deduction. I'm glad I don't have to pay for them, just write them up. (gloat, gloat) Even if you have an older version of Smart Sound, it is still an excellent way to go.
Steve

ps. Anyone have an owners manual for the Uwatec Ultra dive computer? Can't find it on the Scuba Pro website.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.