• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PCDiver

PCDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:23 PM

I have a question about Edius. I'm having problems with the reel name.

The reel name can only be speficied when you use batch capture, not the normal capture process. I normally suck in the whole tape with scene recognition, but I would love to be able to specify the reel name which only seems possible with batch capture.

Any tips? Is is possible to do a bulk change of the reel name for captured clips?
>>> Submerge Productions dedicated to technical diving

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

I think Wags uses Edius exclusively so he'd be the best to answer this question. Have you tried changing it in the viewing menu?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6294 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

Wags uses edius? wow, i didn't know.. :D

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in the Lembeh Strait at NAD Lembeh with Doug Sloss in 2018
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in the ultimate classroom, Bali! or join us on a trip www.underwatertribe.com and www.baliuwphoto.com

Join us for a trip in Indonesia in Komodo or Raja Ampat

#4 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3849 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:04 PM

Hey how did you guys know that I use it :D

What about the stand alone Mpeg capture thingy bob.
Just name the file and suck it in as m2t or use the Canopus HQ codec.
Set it to scene select if you want as well.
While it's coming in you can just keep doing other things on your computer as well which is handy. ;)

As for doing it inside the program? I don't know...will have to have a look. I just rename them to whatever once on the computer or in the bin.

Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos | www.flykam.com.au

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:19 PM

I think he is worried about the capture corresponding with his shot list notes. I always laugh at the assistants who have to mark takes with timecode and tape numbers. Modern NLEs have removed yet another job from the industry LOL

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3849 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

Yes it's pretty funny editing the old way with 3 tape decks. Mind you I have seen some pretty fast guys with them. Pretty funny though if you make a mistake on the master edit tape and have to go back and make a change. Now what tape was that scene on again.... :D

How about this...

Get into your settings and click confirm file name before capture.
Posted Image

Then when you hit capture you get this
Posted Image

#7 PCDiver

PCDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

Hey how did you guys know that I use it :D

What about the stand alone Mpeg capture thingy bob.
Just name the file and suck it in as m2t or use the Canopus HQ codec.
Set it to scene select if you want as well.
While it's coming in you can just keep doing other things on your computer as well which is handy. ;)

As for doing it inside the program? I don't know...will have to have a look. I just rename them to whatever once on the computer or in the bin.

I think that the standalone thingy doesn't work with HDV. I'm not talking about the file name. I'm talking about the reel name. When I return from a two week trip I have dozens of tape. I can include the name of the reel in the name of the clip but that makes the name quite long. There is this nice property called reel name, but by default it is empty. It does not allow mass updates afterwards. Bummer. Typing in the name one by one for thousands of clips is not funny.

The only way to specify the reel name is via batch capture. It would be nice if you could do batch capture of an entire tape with scene recognition, without having to specify individual clips.

#8 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3849 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:01 PM

Thats what that MPEG Capture program is for..... to suck in HDV.
Looks like it does not do scene select.

I see now what you are trying to do.

I would just suck in a whole tape to a folder called Tape 1 and name the clip 1
Suck in another tape into a new folder called Tape 2 and and name the clip 2
and so on...

Once you have them all, import the folders into your bin and then you know that all the clips in folder 2 is from tape 2. They will be named like 2, 2(0), 2(2), 3(3)....as they get broken up.

In your bin if you click on a video clip icon with your middle button on your mouse ( push wheel down) and hold it there. Move your mouse left and right and it will zoom through the clip. It's a good way to see whats on any clip without having to bring it into your preview window or timeline.

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10705 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:22 PM

Oh no another Edius flaw... why don't you just select the clips you want and right click to change the names in bulk? Seems to me the best way to program a bulk name change.

Drew

#10 PCDiver

PCDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:15 AM

Oh no another Edius flaw... why don't you just select the clips you want and right click to change the names in bulk? Seems to me the best way to program a bulk name change.

Bulk renames don't work. They have to be done one by one. :D

#11 PCDiver

PCDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:22 AM

I would just suck in a whole tape to a folder called Tape 1 and name the clip 1
Suck in another tape into a new folder called Tape 2 and and name the clip 2
and so on...

Doesn't really work for me. I use clips from different tapes in many projects. I export bins from one project (the capture project) and import the bins in other projects. The moment they are in the timeline, you loose the bin reference. These clips have a reel name property and I don't see why it should be so difficult to use it.

Is it possible to create a dummy batch file, as in one clip for an entire tape, and then batch capture that tape with scene detection?

I'm currently working in Germany, so I cannot test this myself. And I also assumed that our Edius expert would be able to provide a solution from the top of his head. :D

#12 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3849 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:11 AM

Well I suppose we are all different in how we use programs.

I just drag a folder full of clips into the bin.
Each folder keeps it's name and each clip I gave a title too as it got firewired in.

Does not take much effort to see what is on each clip either via the playable thumbnails or a quick scrub in the preview window.

I don't mess around with batch capture, just suck the whole tape in.
Like wise I don't use scene capture as you end up with zillions of tiny files...it's pretty easy to scrub a clip in the preview window to grab the bits you want.

So no I have not got an answer to what you are trying to achieve.