• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:57 PM

Are the 120 degrees advertised on air or in water? If its on air then they are narrower in water and closer to 90 degrees

#42 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:02 PM

Are the 120 degrees advertised on air or in water? If its on air then they are narrower in water and closer to 90 degrees

As the front of the lights are domed, they are probably still 120-110’ underwater as you won’t be affected by refraction compared to them being behind a flat port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#43 Lionfi2s

Lionfi2s

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:40 AM

As the front of the lights are domed, they are probably still 120-110’ underwater as you won’t be affected by refraction compared to them being behind a flat port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didnt notice the "dome" front glass Richard

#44 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:42 AM

A flat port version would be epic - and would be 90' underwater (I would hope)

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#45 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:09 AM

I have the Archon DM60, which has the flat port, how can you tell it's 90 or 110 degree. The light beam seems quite spread when I use it.

#46 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:39 AM

I have the Archon DM60, which has the flat port, how can you tell it's 90 or 110 degree. The light beam seems quite spread when I use it.

From my very basis understanding, you want a dome port to counteract the refraction of the water to provide the same beam angle as above the water, so I would presume the reverse is also true for your flat ported DM60. Its 110 in air and 82.5' in water.

https://www.lightand...ome-port-optic/

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#47 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:55 AM

Thanks Richard, that make sense. Too bad I haven't had the chance to do a night dive with the DM60 yet, otherwise I will be able to gauge how wide the light beam is.

What kind of working distance are we talking about with these 12000 lumen cob light when use during the day, say on a sunny day at 90ft? My experience so far is no more than 2-3 ft from the subject.

#48 scott leeson

scott leeson

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 02:35 AM

i have 2 of these lights that are brand new, unfortunately ive not got any diving ahead of me....very upsetting

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SUPE, scubalamp, video lights