• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:48 AM

Youtube is full of review of this little camera for land use. 

Except a couple of video at Backscatter I don't see any real user feedback for underwater use.

Nauticam provides the ubiquitous WWL-1 to get wide angle shots but when you add over 1000$ to the kit you end up in another territory...

Is there some other cheaper but effective  solution to get wide shots?  I don't care about macro.

Thank you in advance

Edited by Davide DB, 03 August 2017 - 05:50 AM.

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#2 Lee Verly

Lee Verly

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:34 PM

Almost 3 months... 

'anyone have u/w experience or comments yet?

#3 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:27 AM

Everybody went for a GH5  :cow:

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#4 EvilOtter

EvilOtter

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:50 PM

Or, they stayed with their trusty LX100. I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade. In fact, it strikes me as more of a downgrade.

Scuba Diving Adventures in Roatán, Honduras

Please visit my YouTube channel: Fish Nerd Films

#5 Lee Verly

Lee Verly

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:24 PM

Interesting.  I'm starting fresh, as my last camera and lens took a dunk- sans housing.

I've been trying to decide between the LX10 (or LX100?) and another M4/3- like a used GX7, or GX85.  I like the idea of the smaller/smallish housings for these.  The GH5 is too expensive, and the housing is notably larger (I think).

'curious about the "downgrade" comment, other than a larger sensor, why would you prefer the LX100?

#6 kc_moses

kc_moses

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, baking, diving, videography, landscape and food photography.

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:40 AM

The LX10 would be considered as an "Upgrade" if you are want to shoot macro 4K video because the crop factor would make it about 108mm. For the LX100, the macro 4K video is only around 87mm after crop factor. In term of setup, the LX10 gives you the most bang for the buck because the complete housing, tray and vacuum can be purchased for US$1250.

The LX100 complete setup could be expensive for point and shoot:

- Housing: $1200

- 67mm short port: $180

- Flip diopter (it's the only way you can use macro diopter) $220

- Flexitray II: around $250

- Vacuum valve: $220

If you are new to UW video/photo, I would say the LX10 is a good starting setup and is budget friendly.

#7 EvilOtter

EvilOtter

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:51 AM

Great post @kc_moses. It is certainly cheaper to house the LX-10 with Nauticam.  The Ikelite housing is even cheaper at $550 but has no TTL circuitry . I agree that it is an excellent P/S option for someone looking to buy their first underwater camera or upgrade from a GoPro. That said, I don't think the LX10 is a trade-up from the LX100. It has a smaller sensor, less dynamic range and less manual control. The longer lens is certainly nice but both cameras require diopters for super macro.

Scuba Diving Adventures in Roatán, Honduras

Please visit my YouTube channel: Fish Nerd Films

#8 Lee Verly

Lee Verly

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:53 AM

Thanks for the great info and opinions.

I would be considered "old" to u/w photo (and most things!) vs. new- in that I've been shooting with my old E-PL1/YS-90's combo for a long time.  Before that, various p&s back to film.

I rented a G7X on my last trip for a couple days and that got me looking back at the p&s cameras as it was impressive.  I like everything from macro to w/a, but tend to choose macro, and have a SubSee +10.  Video (that- I am new to) is important, and I will be buying a couple video lights with this round.

And yes, the total price of the LX10 kit is nice!

Edited by Lee Verly, 20 October 2017 - 08:03 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LX10, panasonic, nauticam, wide angle