• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#41 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

Guys, there is advantage of shooting at 60 fps (or 48 fps)! I have studied a lot of UW videos done by popular videographers, They incorporated a lot of slow motions, not only to create that "graceful" manta/shark glide by scene, but it's also to create the "stabilized" footage feel. If you shoot high fps and slow it down by 1/3 or 1/2, chances is you don't need to use Warp Stabilizer. If you force a 24 fps/30fps to slow down, you're introducing duplicated in between frames, which I think there is some not so desire effects.

I agree. The main reason I wish for the capability of shooting 50p (Europe here...) is the ability to have more slow-down / stabilisation potential.  Using optical flow to slow down 25p footage has its limits.

#42 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

Thanks. So 10-bit-4:2:2 All-I is only planned up to 30p @ 4k. This may tip the balance towards me sitting this one out and sticking with my GH4.

I wish cameras like this would give us the option of doing 2.7k or 1440p like the GoPros and give us the higher bit depth and color sampling. It's a great format for stabilizing and doing a bit of re-framing before delivering in 1080p.

Guys, there is advantage of shooting at 60 fps (or 48 fps)! I have studied a lot of UW videos done by popular videographers, They incorporated a lot of slow motions, not only to create that "graceful" manta/shark glide by scene, but it's also to create the "stabilized" footage feel. If you shoot high fps and slow it down by 1/3 or 1/2, chances is you don't need to use Warp Stabilizer. If you force a 24 fps/30fps to slow down, you're introducing duplicated in between frames, which I think there is some not so desire effects.

Well yes of course. And that is a good advantage. But as for >30p delivered at >30p, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they actually like it, apart from the manufacturers selling it. Anyway, that's a subject for another discussion.

#43 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:35 PM

I can't get the backbutton focus to work while recording on my GH4. Am I missing a special setting or something?

Is the back AE/AF Button set to 'AF-ON' within the menu. Are you on the latest FW for your GH4 body?

I agree. The main reason I wish for the capability of shooting 50p (Europe here...) is the ability to have more slow-down / stabilisation potential.  Using optical flow to slow down 25p footage has its limits.

The in camera slowmo stuff looks pretty sweet from the demos!

From previous attempts at fixing footage. Optical Flow and Post Stabilisation, both really need to be 'shot for' at shutter speeds of minimum of 1/250 - 1/500 (not the standard FPS*2) to get crisp individual frames, for the software to see where things are moving, other than motion blur. But dropping the 60fps stuff to 24fps should look nice.

Thanks. So 10-bit-4:2:2 All-I is only planned up to 30p @ 4k. This may tip the balance towards me sitting this one out and sticking with my GH4.

I wish cameras like this would give us the option of doing 2.7k or 1440p like the GoPros and give us the higher bit depth and color sampling. It's a great format for stabilizing and doing a bit of re-framing before delivering in 1080p.

Well yes of course. And that is a good advantage. But as for >30p delivered at >30p, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they actually like it, apart from the manufacturers selling it. Anyway, that's a subject for another discussion.

Nick, I agree, after seeing this 60p stuff on youtube, I can see myself NOT shooting in that format, I'm just not ready I suppose to watch that type of motion - doesn't lend itself to storytelling type footage. I was in two minds to swap out my Ninja Flame for the Inferno (same housing luckily) to get the 60fps, but perhaps not.

Won't be be getting the anamorphic full sensor (4:3) 5K readout in one of the FW updates? This will provide similar image to the 1440p ?

However, I still think the GH5 is a big update from GH4 shooters, even if it was still only shooting 4K@30p. We now have full width of the sensor, no rolling shutter, the IBIS / DualIS for more silky smooth shoots, better ISO performance, AutoISO and fingers crossed better color rendition.

Edited by thetrickster, 07 January 2017 - 01:48 AM.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, 48,000lm of artificial sun.

www.richardwait.com

#44 SWink

SWink

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:11 AM

Richard

Thanks for the tip - the firmware update did the trick.

Cheers

Steve

My Video: Panasonic GH4, Nauticam Housing, 7-14mm, 12-35mm, 45mm, & Olypmus 14-42mm, 12-50mm 60mm. Archon W42VR x 2, Inon LF800-N
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube..../SteveWinkworth

#45 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:29 PM

Won't be be getting the anamorphic full sensor (4:3) 5K readout in one of the FW updates? This will provide similar image to the 1440p ?

Maybe but my point was, I reckon at 400Mbps there's a good chance they could manage 10-bit 4:2:2 60p at 2.7k, which would be a preferable format for me to shoot because of the scope to stabilize and pan/crop it then deliver full HD. They presumably won't be able to manage that quality at 5K or they would also offer it at 4K. I probably should have left 1440p out of it as I forget that's 4:3, not 16:9 :swimmingfish: 

However, I still think the GH5 is a big update from GH4 shooters, even if it was still only shooting 4K@30p. We now have full width of the sensor, no rolling shutter, the IBIS / DualIS for more silky smooth shoots, better ISO performance, AutoISO and fingers crossed better color rendition.

I totally agree. It appears to be a great upgrade. My personal reason for probably skipping is partly due to spending more time in post than shooting in the next year or two.

#46 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:12 AM

http://www.newsshoot...riffin-hammond/

Edited by Davide DB, 15 January 2017 - 06:14 AM.

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#47 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:42 AM

EasyDive (Italy) have the GH5 in their Leo housing at Boot show...

https://www.facebook...804013203197620

f0ac63636002311fdba1a386b619df44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, 48,000lm of artificial sun.

www.richardwait.com

#48 Etc

Etc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:05 AM

Already a housing for the GH5??

#49 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:12 AM

Well not per say for the GH5. This housing of their is a generic (hence the size) MIL housing that takes, GHx cameras, A6300/6500 etc.

They are somehow using wifi for the controls (the buttons on the right)

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#50 EspenB

EspenB

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:32 AM

Are you at the show Richard?

I'll be there from thursday.

I've seen the "universal" Easy Dive housings before on the previous Boot instalments, and they are probably not for me. ;-)

#51 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:29 AM

Are you at the show Richard?

I'll be there from thursday.

I've seen the "universal" Easy Dive housings before on the previous Boot instalments, and they are probably not for me. ;-)

I went a couple of years ago, and from Spain, tbh didn't feel worth it. But it might be different now.

I'm not keen on their housings either tbh.

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#52 Etc

Etc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:38 AM

http://scubapix.com/...mix-gh5-camera/

#53 kmhanson

kmhanson

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:47 PM

5.Will the back button focus work while recording?

The GH4 has this so I assume the GH5 will. The GH4 got it with a firmware upgrade.

#54 Etc

Etc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:15 AM

The GH4 has this so I assume the GH5 will. The GH4 got it with a firmware upgrade.

I know, I know. Someone posted it here.... I already had upgraded the firmware but I didn't realize of this improvement!!!

#55 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

Might have my hands on a GH5 (no housing though!) for the weekend. Any tests I should do that haven't been covered by everyone else on YT?

My Videos on Vimeo | YouTube
Panasonic DMC-GH4 | Nauticam NA-GH4 Housing
Light & Motion Sola 4000 Video Lights
Lumix 7-14mm / Oly 12-50mm / Oly 60mm Macro / SubSee +10

#56 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:54 PM

Might have my hands on a GH5 (no housing though!) for the weekend. Any tests I should do that haven't been covered by everyone else on YT?

Can we assign one of the Fn buttons to do TRUE one-touch WB ?

Got another questions, but forgotten at present - will edit post once I remember.

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#57 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

Can we assign one of the Fn buttons to do TRUE one-touch WB ?

Got another questions, but forgotten at present - will edit post once I remember.

No dice on the one-touch WB, though that is definitely a great idea. You can assign any of the WB options to one of the Fn buttons, but all that does is provide quick access to that preset/mode.

My Videos on Vimeo | YouTube
Panasonic DMC-GH4 | Nauticam NA-GH4 Housing
Light & Motion Sola 4000 Video Lights
Lumix 7-14mm / Oly 12-50mm / Oly 60mm Macro / SubSee +10

#58 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 01:18 AM

Would be interesting to see how much better the gh5 is during low light scenes.

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

#59 Davide DB

Davide DB

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:28 AM

A new guest at the party:

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#60 Etc

Etc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:13 AM

Come on guys!!. This Thread is dead and we've had the GH5 already out there for a few months!... Nauticam already released its housing as well as Ikelite did (vacum valve and doesn't look like its classical line of "rubish plastic" housings) ... NOT A WORD HERE??
Ikelite's port chart seems to lack of focus gear in most ports... but is way more cheaper. I wish someone had tried it and could post some coments.

Has someone put the GH5 down there???... noise behavior in deep shots???. MWB in low light conditions. Grading of 422 10bit footage????. 

Yes!, I have so many questions!!!... I can only hear my echo here!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GH5, Panasonic, Panasonic GH5, Panasonic LUMIX GH5, DMC-GH5