Most Liked Content

#387366 SATURATION - Colorful Marine Creatures from Indonesia & The Philippines

Posted by Nick Hope on 06 September 2017 - 10:40 PM

My new video of small critters from the Lembeh Strait and Anilao.

Filmed with a Panasonic GH4 in a Nauticam NA-GH4 housing with either 2 x Keldan Luna 4X lights or 2 x FIX Neo 1000 DX SW II lights. I used an Olympus M.Zuiko ED 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 EZ lens and a Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f/2.8 macro lens. On some shots I used a Nauticam Compact Macro Converter CMC-1. Xit404 tripod.

The UHD footage was downsampled to 1920x1080, allowing me to crop and zoom. Only the wonderpus shot was stabilized.

All feedback is welcome. Particularly, are there any weak shots, or uncomfortable edits? I may submit a refined version to a festival or two.

#383389 Anyone happy with their TriPod?

Posted by Nick Hope on 21 April 2017 - 01:13 AM

Could u post a few pics or a little video on how u managed the panning? Would be much appreciated!

Excuse the foot! Also, I do sometimes do a panning shot, controlling the rotation of the housing with my thumbs. But more often than not I'm just panning to position the camera for a static shot.

#383225 Exploring the Salish Sea

Posted by stphnmartin on 16 April 2017 - 06:09 PM

A video compilation of diving the Salish Sea during the winter. I tried labeling the critters for identification purposes. Comments & critiques are welcome.

#357697 Choose your weapon: SLR versus video camera for filmmaking

Posted by SimonSpear on 11 February 2015 - 02:19 AM

Well this was enough to bring me out of hibernation.   

I've got to be honest I'm still scratching my head over what I just read.  The internet polarises opinions for sure, but there are SO many inaccuracies that you have to wonder what purpose there was in writing this?  Is it just an anti DSLR bash or an attempt to justify a "small sensor good, large sensor bad" decision?  Are we talking about underwater filming here, or all filming?

Just a few points:

Audio - apart from a few niche situations who is worried about this for underwater use?  Audio on the newer mirrorless cameras and DSLR's is absolutely fine and certainly comparable to the results you'd get from a camcorder's internal microphone.

DoF - not an issue for WA if you choose the correct lens.  For macro we tend to like the shallower DoF and anyway you'd get a similar effect to this using a video camera with diopters.

Blue Planet - was filmed mostly on 16mm film.

Moire and aliasing - this has NOT become worse on the latest DLSR's, it has virtually disappeared from them.  The first generation were pretty bad at times, but this was never really an issue underwater where you rarely get straight lines or patterns like brickwork or roof tiles.  You did have to be very careful when shooting in a swimming pool though.

Colours - Oh my.  The Canon DSLR's produce the most amazing colours underwater.  Far, far better than ANY video camera I have used before or after.  

Macro vs WA - If you want to do this properly you will always have a dedicated set up for macro and wide angle on a video camera.  If you want to swim around and film what you come across then a video camera offers an advantage.  Also you can get decent range of zoom through with dome ports on most WA DSLR zooms, which is at least comparible to what you'd get from a standard dome port/dome on a video camera housing.  

Documentaries -  Most documentaries these days are filmed with large sensor cameras.  Smaller sensors are now more or less confined to ENG, but even then there are plenty of guys out there using F5's, FS700's, C300's, FS7's for traditional ENG work.

Stability -  Yes DSLR housings are not normally initially well balanced, but this can be resolved very easily by adding buoyancy in the same way you'd add trim weights to a traditional video housing.  The only time you should be getting shaky footage is if you can't hold the camera still and if that is the case then you'll get this regardless of what you are using.

Cost -  There is a big difference in the set up costs for a DSLR vs a comparable quality video camera.  The DLSR can often be 50% cheaper, which is a big decision when negotiating budgets or when it is coming straight out of your own pocket.

Is the article saying that large sensor video cameras are ok, but SLR's with the same size sensor are not, because.......they have a large sensor??  

Is the article really supporting the FS100 as a viable alternative to a DSLR for underwater shooting?  Seriously??? 

I will admit that filming on a DSLR and getting good results is more difficult than filming on a video camera where you can just set everything to auto and press record.  If you tried to do that on a DSLR you'd be wasting your time so you do need to learn how to film with full manual controls to get the best out of them.  I've seen some truly awful underwater footage filmed on a RED, footage that you'd be utterly embarrassed to show others that you'd shot, while on the flip side I've seen jaw droppingly awesome footage shot on a first generation DSLR.   I've seen awful footage shot on a EX1 while on the same dive amazing footage shot on an GoPro1.   

DSLR's and mirrorless cameras have a significant place in the current filmmakers arsenal.  I film on both traditional video cameras and DSLR's and have no bias whatsoever as they both have a role to play.   They are tools to be used as we see fit and we certainly shouldn't be excluding one OR the other.  

#323193 Favourite Image Of 2012

Posted by Torchuck on 24 December 2012 - 03:40 AM

The two main ideas I exploited this year.
Half-water and long exposure.
Philippines. Balicasag.
Posted Image
Thailnd. Sail Rock.
Posted Image

#387111 Panasonic LUMIX GH5 for underwater video

Posted by Davide DB on 30 August 2017 - 09:18 AM

Game over

Professional 400Mbit ALL-I intraframe codec for 10bit 4K 4:2:2
Open Gate High Resolution Anamorphic Mode (4992 x 3744)
Hybrid Log Gamma with view assist feature for HDR shooting
New and improved autofocus engine for video
Performance optimisations and bug fixes

http://www.eoshd.com...n-2-0-firmware/
http://www.panasonic...5_firmware.html

#385588 Ocean Heaven - Socorro Island

Posted by kc_moses on 05 July 2017 - 04:30 AM

Finally finished my most recent project, enjoy!

Underwater Shot is done by Panasonic LX100, top side is combination of GH4, Yi 4K+ and Samsung Galaxy S6.

#384834 World oceans day

Posted by Rafa Herrero on 08 June 2017 - 02:41 AM

Happy world oceans day!  You can see it in 4K :-)

#381763 The Mantas Of Addu

Posted by bubffm on 25 February 2017 - 07:20 AM

Attached a little clip from our trip to Addu Atoll, the southernmost Atoll of the Maldives in January 2017. Most scenes are from a single dive at "Manta Point" on 14.01.2017, with a few shots from "Gan Kandu South" dive-site added for good measure.

Shot on Sony AX100 camcorder in a Gates housing. Video lights (Keldan 4x) where only used in one shot. All other clips are ambient light shots. Color corrected in Davinci Resolve, edited in Final Cut Pro X.

Music: Dag Reinbott: The Saviour

Hope you enjoy :-)

#373433 Dumaguete, Philippines

Posted by Alex_Tattersall on 09 May 2016 - 11:15 AM

Apo Island Nikon D7200, Tokina 10-17

8. 26188224504_2ed465a702_c.jpg

D7200, 105mm, Noodilab Moby, F29, 1/200
9. 26793174015_9a93c8c39d_c.jpg

D7200, 105mm Noodilab Moby
10. 26188235094_a2d99e0496_c.jpg

D7200, 105mm, F11, 1/200
11. 26851007356_3c35d15c16_c.jpg

D7200, 105mm F11, 1/10
12. 26520910600_2cbe2c4aee_c.jpg

D7200, 105mm, F22, 1/200
13. 26188246614_a43400e1db_c.jpg

D7200, 105mm, F22, 1/200
14. 26793176705_1d1b35780e_c.jpg

Small Frog D7200, 105mm VR, SMC
15. 26765835841_ae6d390939_c.jpg

#363023 Showreel

Posted by SimonSpear on 08 July 2015 - 08:40 AM

Finally had a free week to finish my showreel.  Only 3 years late!   :crazy:

#362209 Blue Island

Posted by Rafa Herrero on 14 June 2015 - 11:54 AM

#357657 Choose your weapon: SLR versus video camera for filmmaking

Posted by Nick Hope on 10 February 2015 - 05:10 AM

I've noticed more muffled swearing on my GH4 footage than my Sony Z1 footage.

#356232 Your Favourite/Best Image of 2014

Posted by ilanbt on 03 January 2015 - 12:47 PM

Congratulation Alex!

My most favorite shot is:

155482590.iLBIyF3r.jpg

#323202 Highlights of 2012

Posted by escape on 24 December 2012 - 06:33 AM

[vimeohd]56187603[/vimeohd]
I've been lucky to dive a lot of amazing place this year.
This is short compilation of footage from 2012 trips.
Shot on Canon 7D and 5D Mark III in Nauticam.
happy holidays everyone!
EJ.

#323092 Favourite Image Of 2012

Posted by loftus on 21 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

Not just a favorite image also a favorite first time underwater experience for 2012; the sheer chaos and excitement of sailfish in a bait ball. Hopefully I will get to experience it again next month.

Posted Image

#387093 Another Lembeh Video

Posted by SWink on 29 August 2017 - 06:45 PM

A clip of my trip to Lembeh last year.

It might be a touch long for some of you at ovr 7min.

Hope you enjoy.

https://youtu.be/dZbxpeHUM8M

Cheers

Steve

https://www.youtube...._id=dZbxpeHUM8M

#383045 Macro Alien footage

Posted by Oceanshutter on 11 April 2017 - 05:35 PM

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share my latest short film.  This is a followup to my award winning 'Stay With Us' film.  The story will have a total of three parts.

This is a film you will want to have the volume up, with some bass if possible, and watch in full HD.  It was shot with the Canon 1dx with 100mm macro lens.

Curious to know what feedback you all have.  I hope you enjoy it.

-Dustin

#380979 Pigmy Pipehorses of Bare Island

Posted by Pete L on 27 January 2017 - 12:57 AM

Sydney has some very diverse marine life for a major tourist hub and Botany Bay, being on the door step of Sydney's international Airport is a surprisingly healthy environment.
​Some of the more cryptic species living in Botany Bay ate the Pigmy Pipehorses.

These little critters are so well camouflaged that they are sometimes impossible to see even when looking directly at them.

I put a little video together of a recent dive I did to film the Pigmy Pipehorses, hope you enjoy it.

#380764 Custom white balance and noise

Posted by dreifish on 19 January 2017 - 04:28 AM

Why not just custom white balance whilst descending to target depth? E.g. white balance at say 20 meters and then continue to 40 meters. This way you eliminate some of the blue or green color cast, but are not yet boosting red to extremely noisy levels.

You can certainly experiment with this.

With cameras that have a limited range for white balance adjustment (e.g. Sony cameras), this is more or less what you are forced to do since trying to set white balance too deep will likely result in an error.

Still, for my tastes, the results of white balancing at a shallower depth and then filming deeper are a bit too greenish-blue. It's not just the color itself, either. A large part of the contrast we perceive in an image comes from color contrast. For example, reds are much more noticeable when placed against green, blue against yellow, etc. So, images that include the warmer tones tend to have more contrast and are more "poppy" than ones that are all just shades of blue and green. 

My preference is to use artificial light (strobes or video lights) when filming below 10 meters, and keeping the white balance set to the temperature of the lights. I find that it producing much more pleasing results than trying to shoot with only natural light.

Does it accurately reflect what I saw on the dive? No. But for me, photography isn't about striving for the most accurate version of reality. It's about producing beautiful images. Accurately capturing reality is not as straightforward as you might think, anyway, since cameras see the world very differently than our visual system processes the world. Physiologically, most of what you "see" is actually a very detailed model constructed by your brain based on your past experience, based only partially on the limited, low bandwidth real-time input from your eyes.