Photo
- - - - -

GoPro Fusion or ThetaV - Anyone got one?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:44 AM

Looking at buying a new ‘toy’ to have a look at on my next holiday, and I’m eyeing up the Fusion - as taking my drone seems risky these days.

It seems to provide the best / sharpest video out of all the current prosumer cameras (from the current reviews of the Rylo, Insta360, ThetaV etc)

Wondered if anyone has one either land based or either taken it underwater (I think only the 360 bubble can do this to 10m...)

The thetaV looks really promising with its underwater housing to 30m, but the YouTube videos are pretty bad, yet the same clips on their website are pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#2 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:06 AM

Gh5 and 5s with 48k of sunlight not enough of a toy? ;) haha

Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

#3 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:14 AM

Gh5 and 5s with 48k of sunlight not enough of a toy? ;) haha

Alas on my next trip in 2 weeks (which was only booked last week, last minute) I've only got 30kg of luggage and 7kg of hand luggage - which is taken up by my scuba gear, rebreather etc. So the big camera will stay at home :(

Will take a Hero 6 and a couple of the lights thou. QatarAirways want 480$ for extra 15kg rtn!!! So thats a non starter...

At the moment, looking at both, I'm gonna pass...

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com

#4 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:17 AM

Alas on my next trip in 2 weeks (which was only booked last week, last minute) I've only got 30kg of luggage and 7kg of hand luggage - which is taken up by my scuba gear, rebreather etc. So the big camera will stay at home :(

Will take a Hero 6 and a couple of the lights thou. QatarAirways want 480$ for extra 15kg rtn!!! So thats a non starter...

At the moment, looking at both, I'm gonna pass...

Dude I had that problem too with some companies. Not many offer decently cheap extra luggage anymore, it's a joke. Klm is my recommendation if flying to Asia tho. They have a 100 eur one way fee for an extra bag of 23kg, and carry on is 12kg. That's what I'm gonna be using in the future when flying to that part of the world, and using it next week when flying to indo :)

Skickat från min VTR-L29 via Tapatalk

#5 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:12 AM

I normally fly BA or United or similar. Horrible old planes, crap seats etc. But still give you 23kg bags (cheapish 2nd bag) plus the old style “if you can lift it, you can bring it” for hand luggage. This trip was really last minute and I had to get the same plane as the others on the trip to get the bus. Probably not my first choice. It will be an adventure.

Have a super trip! Look forward to the photos / videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards, Richard

---

www.richardwait.com

#6 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:20 PM

I have the Theta V, with the housing and have taken it underwater. It is a really fun camera, and on land it has some good applications, but underwater its a "toy".  Lighting will be an issue. If you have strong pointlights (strobes or sunshine" on some side  making the light uneven you will get some unpleasant effects and see the "seams". When the light is even, such as it would a little deeper or when overcast, you will have no color except blue gray. The housing nase is also visible in the image/footage due to it adding to the width of the base.  I owned the 360Fly 4k before the Theta V, and I did NOT love it even as a toy. The quality of the image/footage from the Theta V is WAY better. The Theta V is also much easier to work with and the Mobile app is better - but still room for plenty of improvement. The one thing I really don't like is that the Theta V is constructed quite flimsily. I dropped it once into soft grass and the shell came apart - luckily I was able to snap it back together. It should be sturdier in my opinion.