• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 waterbaby

waterbaby

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:04 PM

I'm interested in diving Truk lagoon.  Can anyone recommend some of the better live a boards?

#2 errbrr

errbrr

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 02:43 PM

For photography I would go land based. Liveaboards will put the whole boat on the wreck of the day and make it hard to avoid other divers and their silt/bubbles through your photos. I dived with Blue Lagoon and appreciated the option of having just myself and two or three buddies on a boat. 15 to 25 minute run to most wrecks. We could pick our own wreck and not worry about crowds. One day we had a liveaboard drop a dozen divers halfway through our dive and the rest of the photos were a write-off as the engine room rapidly became zero vis.

Blue Lagoon was also tech and camera friendly which was nice.

#3 PNWDiver

PNWDiver

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:40 AM

The following is a little dated but we had a great experience on the Odyssey live-aboard.  You can read our trip report and see the photos here :

Trip Report: https://aquabluedrea...oon-micronesia/

Gallery: https://aquabluedrea...lagoon/dsc1217/

Advantages of the Odyssey in our humble opinion.

No panga rides to the wrecks.  We did dive a couple of days from Blue Lagoon and had some pretty wet and bouncy rides to dive sites.  The Odyssey puts you right on the wreck and you drop in.  Surface intervals back to the comfort of the boat.  They give you complete freedom to dive when you want and how you want.  If you are a crazy tech diver they can accommodate you no problem.  You want a guide they will provide it. You want to go by yourself fine.  We would wait till other divers came out and then go in.  The boat itself is great, food excellent and the staff top notch.  Super good with cameras.  In fact there was an older group on our trip and the guides even carried the elderly ladies cameras for them.   No problem recommending the Odyssey, you get what you pay for.

Edited by PNWDiver, 19 May 2018 - 05:48 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: truk, live a board