• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 echo2600

echo2600

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 04:21 AM

This is a great thread! After losing 2 Sea&Sea cables in the last two trips, I need a robust, yet economical alternative to spending $85.00 on almost every trip... Interestingly, Ive an old skinny S&S cable thats 9 years old and its never given me any issues... I think the newer fiber cable is just a bit too rigid/brittle...

Thanks, to everyone, for all of the great info!

#22 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1962 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 11 November 2018 - 05:32 PM

I just ordered some of the same multi-fiber material that S&S and Nauticam use, I will see if it can be coiled. BUT using standard 1 mm fiber, my new coiled cables can trigger YS-D1 strobes from the Nauticam LED trigger.

Cheers

BIll

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#23 Maumatus

Maumatus

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Freediving, photography, science, etc.

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:15 AM

Hi, You can use a disposable wood sushi stick to roll up the wire, without breaking it, then dip it in boiling water. When cooling, the plastic covering the cable will be wavy.

Attached Images

• E283E6D7-7901-4842-817F-935B473903FA.jpeg

Edited by Maumatus, 13 December 2018 - 06:34 AM.

#24 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, design UW custom gizmos

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

For my Nauticam fiber optic cables, instead of wasting $160 or more for two commercial cables, I made my own for under $10 following the suggestions described in this post, using fiber optic Toslink cable, scissors, rubber or ABS glue, and a new one-edge razor.

The cable connects to the housing’s bulkheads with a cap made from concentric rubber and vinyl tubes, fitted into each other and held together by pressure.

The rubber tube’s inner diameter is 9 mm, 20 mm long; it fits snugly on the strobe’s threaded bulkheads. The inner two vinyl tubes are 8 mm long.

DSC_8446_resize.JPG

DSC_8451_resize.JPG

The cable connects to the strobe with rubber grommet fitted with a 1 x 5 mm O ring.

IMG_4658_resize.JPG

I have dived for two weeks using these cables and had no problems; they remained securely attached to the housing. Had I needed a tighter fit I could have used a small cable tie to tighten the rubber tube.

The fiberoptic Toslink cable I used is 3 mm diam.  The cable now available on eBay is about 4 mm diam.: To fit its tip inside the rubber grommet, I shaved the cable coating with a razor, like one sharpens a pencil, until it fit tightly and stuck out a bit from the free end. Then I pulled the cable out of the grommet, dipped it in ABS plumbers (or rubber) glue, and re-plugged it. Once dry, I hand trimmed the free end of the grommet + cable with a new single edge razor, as described in the preceding comments.

Note: eBay sells thin and thick fiberoptic cable (Toslink); I prefer the thicker cable as it is tougher, and as the fiberoptic cable itself appears to have a larger diameter (1 mm vs about 2 mm diameter to my uneducated eye) and conducts more light.

Part suppliers: Amazon: rubber grommets, eBay: Toslink fiberoptic cable, Home Depot: glue and razors, and O Ring Store (1x5 mm O rings).

Edited by Kraken de Mabini, 10 January 2019 - 11:49 AM.

#25 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, design UW custom gizmos

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

Fiberoptic cable for an Inon strobe can be made from the thin 2 mm Toslink cable and Inon compatible FIT terminals sold by Fun-In Underwater Photo in Taiwan.

The cable can be force bent into the fitting, or it can first be softened in boiling water as described above by Maumatus (the cable can also be coiled) so it bends easily. The free end of the cable should stick out a little from each fitting, so it can be trimmed with a sharp razor. 

IMG_4664_resize.JPG

http://www.fun-in.co...product_id=1139

Edited by Kraken de Mabini, 11 January 2019 - 10:56 AM.

#26 drywh

drywh

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:42 PM

62346537_2090943414536720_5111187687000244224_n(1).jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiber Optic, Sea & Sea, DIY