Nikon Mirrorless Z6 Z7

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:19 AM

I have cancelled my pre-order for now.  It seems the AF on these is not up to the D850 and D500 in terms of speed or AF tracking.  Since I am beginning to do blackwater photography, AF and CAF tracking is an absolute key aspect of the camera and not something I want to compromise on.  I am still reluctant to go to the huge housings for the D850 and D500.  So, I will be waiting to see new developments later this year from Sony.

#22 Undertow

Undertow

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:31 AM

I have cancelled my pre-order for now.  It seems the AF on these is not up to the D850 and D500 in terms of speed or AF tracking.  Since I am beginning to do blackwater photography, AF and CAF tracking is an absolute key aspect of the camera and not something I want to compromise on.  I am still reluctant to go to the huge housings for the D850 and D500.  So, I will be waiting to see new developments later this year from Sony.

Sensor-based AF can't compare to a dedicated AF module (requiring a mirror). It's certainly come a long way but still a far cry for the foreseeable future. I guarantee you Sony won't suddenly revolutionize sensor AF later this year. 

#23 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 14 September 2018 - 07:33 AM

You might be right, but then I will settle for the best that mirrorless can offer.  For now, that seems to be the A9 but Sony is rumored to have an APS-C camera coming with the same or better focusing.  That might be the best compromise in terms of size and performance. Also, don't know what the new Canon is capable of yet.  Seems like a good time to wait for a couple of months before deciding anything.

#24 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1010 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 14 September 2018 - 04:52 PM

I suspect we will soon see mirrorless/live view AF out-performing conventional AF. Already it is more accurate. As well, there is greater coverage across the format for full frame, more sophisticated AF, and more AF points. These are probably inter-related. Faster CPUs probably help here. We will probably will see dedicated CPUs for focusing in upcoming pro models, maybe even the replacements for the D5 and 1Dx2, to speed things up even further.

A big limitation in the past has been viewing - hard to see the back screen in daylight among other issues. EVF to the rescue. Lag seems to be a non-issue now and resolution is excellent based on what I hear (will see as I have a Z6 on order).

Low light ability may soon or already have exceed what conventional AF can as well.

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Currently used housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkIII, EOS-1D MkIV, and EOS-1DX; and Nikon D3X. More or less retired: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H.

Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 200mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 60D, 150D, and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nikon, Mirrorless, Z6, Z7