• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bshark39

bshark39

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:43 AM

Hi, I need information about the extension for a 230 mm dome. I am currently equipped with a WACP on my Nauticam subwoofer for my Nikon D850. I would like to equip me with a dome 230 from Zen or Saga Dive for my Nikon 16-35 and my Sigma 15. In the Zen charter, the extension recommended for the 16-35 is 90 as in Nauticam. In his test on the D850, Jack Connick used a Saga dome of 230 with a 70mm extension. is there a big difference between these different domes so that the necessary extension is so different?

Thanks for your feed-back

#2 DocTock

DocTock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 05:00 PM

Interesting!

I found this thread when I was searching for information/ discussions on this exact topic.

When I bought my NA-D800 I was sold a 70mm extension to go with a Zen 230mm glass dome. I remember that the port chart at the time indicated that to be the "right" extension.

I just saw the new port charts from Nauticam that now show a 90mm extension as recommended.

Is this why my 16-35 images are always slightly blurry???? 

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

#3 DocTock

DocTock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 06:23 AM

@ReefPhoto @Ryan @Nauticam

Anyone care to reply to this question about an apparent Nauticam change in recommendation for extension tube with a 230mm optical glass dome from 70mm to 90mm?

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

#4 DocTock

DocTock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 11:04 AM

I just got off the phone with a really nice person at Reef Photo who explained that the 70mm was the original recommendation (circa ~2013).

The suggested extension for best results with the Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR lens is now 90mm.

Edited by DocTock, 05 April 2019 - 11:19 AM.

#5 phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:05 AM

I dive with a 230mm dome, the 16-35 and a 90mm extension on a Nauticam housing.   With that combo, I get disappointing corners.  I used to crop the edges on almost all my shots.  But with the Sea and Sea Internal Correction lens added, it's far better.   Even usable wide open at F4.  I've shot with the D810 for 3 years, and now the D850 for a week.  I'm a happy camper.   And I make use of the 90mm extension when I pack.  I put 7 arm clamps into the extension to conserve space.

#6 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2385 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, good food and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club.

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:04 AM

I used to use a Subal 230mm dome with the Nikon 16-35. Subal recommended a 90mm extension ring. Corners with that were pretty good.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#7 Gonzalo P.M.

Gonzalo P.M.

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:38 AM

The recommended ring for the new 16-35 2.8III canon is 90mm. But for versionl II it is 80 mm and for the first version of 16-35 2.8 it is 70mm. What has changed is the construction of the lenses. Every time they make them longer. The distance from the lens to the dome should be the same.

#8 synthetic

synthetic

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:17 AM

On my old Ikelite rig, I did the math and decided their suggested extension ring was not optimal for my 17-40mm. I swapped rings and noticed a difference in corner sharpness. 

Another must-have for zoom lenses IMO is the Sea & Sea Internal Correction lens. Game changer for me. Not WACP-quality but much better. 

http://www.seaandsea...cessory/lenses/

---------
Jeff Laity -- Underwater Gallery
Canon 5Dmk4, Nauticam Housing, Inon Z-220 strobes