7 replies to this topic

#1 alcina

alcina

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

I'm looking for a flip holder for dioptres as screwing one on and off underwater is a bit of a pain in the numpty.  Here's what i have:

Nauticam housing

Nauticam 100mm macro port with threaded front

Subal 60 macro port with no threads

Nauticam SMC

Noodilab dioptre

Subsee +10

I'd like to be able to take two dioptres and ideally have one flipper for both ports.  I may add a Nauticam port with threads for the 60 macro at some stage, but haven't decided yet.

I've had people tell me that the flips don't work very well and it's better to screw/unscrew as needed, but then others have said they only use the flip holders. 

I really need some advice and guidance.  Thanks.

OceansByAnderson
New -> Canon 20D, Subal, Canon 100 & 60 macros, Sigma 10-20
Old faithful -> Oly 5050 & housing; Inon macros & WAL, Inon 220s strobe

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1883 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:14 PM

I think you will need two flip holders. The Nauticam flip will hold (I think) any of the lenses; they all have 67 mm threads. For the subal you will need a different flip adapter (think SAGA).

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 troporobo

troporobo

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:52 PM

I know what you mean.  I though that I could manually screw a Subsee on and off, and resisted a flip adapter for a while.  But the Nauticam flip is a beauty, it works flawlessly and is as secure as a rock.  True it is a bit expensive, the convenience is well worthwhile

#4 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 583 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

Hi Kristin,

For the Subal port you're going to need one of these:

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=4066

Mary has been using one of these for years and it works great.

For the Nauticam port you can't go past the Nauticam flip adpater.  I've used a single version for years and it worked great and I've recently updated to the double flip version.

Canon 7D MkII, Nauticam NA-7DMKII housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 2 x Ikelite DS160, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Sigma 150 macro, Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

UW Photo Courses

#5 alcina

alcina

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:11 PM

OK, yeah, I have a single flip for the Subal already and have used it with the SubSee but was advised by several that it wouldn't work well with the SMC or Noodilab.

That's the same thing I've been told about the Nauticam flip, too.  Was looking for reassurance, I guess, that the SMC and Noodilab would be usable without too much hassle.  looks like at least a couple of you think that's so :)

OceansByAnderson

#6 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 583 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

OK, yeah, I have a single flip for the Subal already and have used it with the SubSee but was advised by several that it wouldn't work well with the SMC or Noodilab.

Depends on how old it is, the SMC won't fit in Mary's Saga flip adapter (which is a few years old) but it fits nicely in the newer versions.

Canon 7D MkII, Nauticam NA-7DMKII housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 2 x Ikelite DS160, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Sigma 150 macro, Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

UW Photo Courses

#7 alcina

alcina

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:36 PM

As long as they fit and work in anything I buy new, it's good :)   looking at the nauti dual flip...

As long as they fit and work in anything I buy new, it's good :)   looking at the nauti dual flip...

OceansByAnderson

#8 tursiops

tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

I did not realize you could use the SMC with another diopter, other than the SMC Multiplier. Have you tried it?