• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fitz

fitz

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:20 AM

I'm based in Florida.  And would like to go to the Pacific Northwest and film wolf eels and giant octopus.  I have a free place to stay in Friday Harbor, but am open to other locations if better opportunities.  Anyone know of a good dive operation that I could work with?  All recommendations welcome -thanks!

#2 Wapiti

Wapiti

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:43 PM

Not sure if there's any operations out of Friday Harbor, but I've done a couple of day trips with Phil Jensen of Lu-Jack-s Quest from Anacortes:

http://www.lujacsquest.com/

...he does a nice job, and he'll put you on to some great sites.  

#3 davehicks

davehicks

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:13 PM

+1 for LuJac.  Phil runs a good charter. 

You should also check out Bandito Charters.  They don't do the SanJauns every weekend, but they do 1 or 2 weekends a month starting in May.  The rest of the time they are in the South Sound out of Tacoma.

http://www.banditocharters.com/

Don't forget to shore dive, there are tons of great dive sites and you can see Octo's and Wolfeels almost anywhere.  (Luck of the draw of course)

davehicks@hotmail.com

#4 jonsaenz

jonsaenz

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:31 PM

+1 for Lujac

You can also look at oceanquest

Or if you want to go a little further north, you can hit Nanaimo Dive Outfitters on Vancouver Island

#5 adamtaylor

adamtaylor

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:04 AM

Do not know the operations in Washington State but hear good things about Rendevous in Barkely Sound on west coast of Vancouver Island, and have greatly enjoyed my outings with Pacific Pro Dive in Campbell River.

If you enjoy your first trip and want to head somewhere a little more remote and wild I highly recommend Port Hardy area at the north end of Vancouver Island. It may take you an extra day of travel from the Seattle area but trust me, it is worth it.

Google Gods Pocket and you will see what I mean. The owners of the resort are retiring and they will not be accepting new bookings until the new owners get set up. Was there a couple weeks ago and while the underwater life was amazing, seeing multiple whales, dolpins, sea lions etc from the boat kept the short boat rides interesting. As did the rafts of sea otters, and the lone wolf we saw swimming between islands. 

Enjoy your hunt for Wolfies and GPO

Adam

<p>Olympus OMD E-M5, Nauticam Housing,12-40 f2.8 with 180mmm dome & extensions, 12-50mm & 60mm in macro port, 8mm Panasonic Fisheye in 4" mini-dome, 2 x YS-D1, Sola 800