• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 samspurgeon

samspurgeon

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:25 AM

Just got back from Iceland, my first time taking the Hydroflex out in open water. Was interesting bringing a feature style of shooting (ie tethered to a boat with monitoring, a focus puller, power etc running to the camera) to an open water/documentary type situation but it worked well. The camera was an Alexa XT with Hawk anamorphic lenses. The location was the stunning Silfra Fissure where the tectonic plates of America and Europe meet. Despite the cold water conditions (2C / 35F) both camera and housing performed flawlessly. Have attached some pics and will post the full piece when it's published.

Cheers

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Underwater Camera Operator website | Sara Putt Associates Underwater Camera Operators agency page

#2 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:11 AM

That's impressive, and quite an undertaking.  Were you using wireless comms (I don't see hardwired tether lines)?

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#3 samspurgeon

samspurgeon

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:32 AM

Hi, we used an Oceans Technology Through-Water Communications System (comprising STX-101 Surface Unit and 4 x listen only units that clipped onto mask straps for myself, the person being filmed and 2 x safety divers)

stx-101.jpg

Edited by samspurgeon, 09 June 2015 - 03:39 AM.

Underwater Camera Operator website | Sara Putt Associates Underwater Camera Operators agency page

#4 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:52 AM

Ahhh, thanks.  That sounds like a good system to keep the shoot organized.

Since we dive tethered anyway (black water), we use the OTS hardwired systems, but they limit mobility and would probably not work well for your situation.

Edited by SwiftFF5, 10 June 2015 - 03:54 AM.

Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#5 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1326 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:58 PM

Interested to hear more about the Hawks.. I did a shoot recently using the Kowa anamorphics and they were great, what diopter etc did you need to use etc and what focal lengths did you go for?

Pretty impressive getting that rig out there and shooting well done mate!

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#6 samspurgeon

samspurgeon

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:59 AM

Wasn't too bad actually, Arri took care of the shipping, we just picked it up from a local rental company. The Hawks were on the whole great! The guys really loved the 100mm (they'd been using it a lot for their topside work) and were super keen to use it underwater - we used it with a flat port so no diopter for that one and 3 inch extenstion tube, it was so long! Made the front really bouyant so attached weights under the skids and around the port. The wider shots were I think on a 40mm lens with a diopter 1 as our subject was relatively close in foreground.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hydroflex, Silfra, Fissure, Iceland, Commercial, Alexa, Anamorphic