16 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:31 PM

I am currently on the M/V Shear Water anchored just outside of the famous Blue Heron Bridge critter dive in Palm Beach, Florida. Not long ago, we were surprised by a diver who burst out of the water onto our back deck -- it was Shen, who works at Reef Photo & Video (and who, incidentally, is a critter expert at Blue Heron Bridge).

Posted Image
Shen of Reef Photo & Video with his close-focus wide-angle rig

I noticed that Shen's Subal rig had LocLine arms attached to the end of his Ikelite strobes. I looked inside the arms to see if they were painted white and discovered fiber optic cables! Ingenious!

I'm not sure if Reef Photo & Video is selling fiber-optic snoots, but they are usually up for doing custom modifications. I know that I want one!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Shen's ingenious snoot system uses fiber optic cabling inside LocLine arms
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 gravity

gravity

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

Keri Wilk has some dual fiber optic snoots he has designed using loc-line arms-two snoots on one strobe. At this point they are pre production, but I am sure he would send some to you for the right price.

Edited by gravity, 18 September 2010 - 02:31 PM.

#3 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

Convergent evolution of Phil Mercurio's "Fibre Snoot"- http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=36028

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#4 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:24 PM

Keri just sent me photos of his setup. Looks nice! I'll post if he allows me to.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#5 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Photo Dude at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:06 PM

We had a guest out here using some last month. He got some nice shots, but if i tell his secret he'll kill me ;)

I ordered a load of fibre to make some snoots too, hopefully it'll be here next month :D

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio in an photographer owned / operated resort

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:29 PM

They are everywhere!

Here is one made by Ken Sullivan (with/for Martin Edge) that I showed at my BSoUP talk last week.
kens_fibresnoot.jpg

Fibre snoots are definitely better than standard snoots for "macro spotlighting" because they are more efficient and more easily aimed and therefore can therefore even be used during the day in bright conditions.

The downside is, when anyone sees your photos, they say "Oh, that's Keri Wilk's shot...."

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#7 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:54 AM

The downside is, when anyone sees your photos, they say "Oh, that's Keri Wilk's shot...."

Alex

;) Well he is the Snoot Master. I'll be very interested to see what design Keri comes up with.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#8 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:09 PM

Hmmm... maybe you could make a flexible ringlight out of two bundles of (plastic) fiberoptics...perhaps spread out on two flexible strips and glued down (or sowed?) with some silicone adhesive and then wrapping them around port and fastening with velcro. Has anyone doen anything like that? Could you use the cheap plastic fiberoptics they use in those party tabletop centerpieces?

#9 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:34 AM

Hmmm... maybe you could make a flexible ringlight out of two bundles of (plastic) fiberoptics...perhaps spread out on two flexible strips and glued down (or sowed?) with some silicone adhesive and then wrapping them around port and fastening with velcro. Has anyone doen anything like that? Could you use the cheap plastic fiberoptics they use in those party tabletop centerpieces?

I've tried to do something similar but using 6 bundles instead of 2. I wouldn't use those party tabletop piece. The overall cost of my adapter was less than 30 euro, I don't think it's a good idea to spare more on the fibers.
I have a separate thread on my rig but without any reply yet:
http://wetpixel.com/...mp;#entry263214

Cheers

Marcell
Marcell Nikolausz
Minolta Dynax 7000i, KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D, sony a100, Ikelite housing for 7000i and sony a100, two Ikelite Ai strobes
Portfolio: http://www.flickr.co...57604023368278/

#10 gobiodon

gobiodon

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:40 AM

They are everywhere!

Here is one made by Ken Sullivan (with/for Martin Edge) that I showed at my BSoUP talk last week.
kens_fibresnoot.jpg

Fibre snoots are definitely better than standard snoots for "macro spotlighting" because they are more efficient and more easily aimed and therefore can therefore even be used during the day in bright conditions.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Is it a snoot on the picture or the fibers end on a diffuser? I was thinking to use such a rig to make two small easy to position strobes (but diffused instead of focused light output) out of one.

Marcell
Marcell Nikolausz
Minolta Dynax 7000i, KonicaMinolta Dynax 7D, sony a100, Ikelite housing for 7000i and sony a100, two Ikelite Ai strobes
Portfolio: http://www.flickr.co...57604023368278/

#11 zzz111

zzz111

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:03 PM

These are really coooooooool, thanks all for sharing.

Is it possible to add some glass at the tip, so that the beam width can be adjusted, like topside zoomable strobes?

#12 Pfuller

Pfuller

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:55 PM

These are really coooooooool, thanks all for sharing.

Is it possible to add some glass at the tip, so that the beam width can be adjusted, like topside zoomable strobes?

An adjustable aperture mixed with a lens setup would make a perfect little unit.. then you'd have full control over the size and focus of the output. Probably a bit of overkill for a DIY setup though.

#13 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:22 AM

Those look waaaay better than the plumbing parts I'm trying out. Any contact info for Ken or where else to inquire other than Reef?

Guess my gorilla pod and Home Depot special will have to do for now...

Phil

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#14 mcd2000

mcd2000

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:11 AM

Those look waaaay better than the plumbing parts I'm trying out. Any contact info for Ken or where else to inquire other than Reef?

Guess my gorilla pod and Home Depot special will have to do for now...

Phil

Try the lighting department at home depot for fiber optic cabel & the tool department for the lock-line parts.
Thanks
Tom Harman
Marine Camera Distributors

#15 Alexis Golding

Alexis Golding

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

I am currently on the M/V Shear Water anchored just outside of the famous Blue Heron Bridge critter dive in Palm Beach, Florida. Not long ago, we were surprised by a diver who burst out of the water onto our back deck -- it was Shen, who works at Reef Photo & Video (and who, incidentally, is a critter expert at Blue Heron Bridge).

Posted Image
Shen of Reef Photo & Video with his close-focus wide-angle rig

I noticed that Shen's Subal rig had LocLine arms attached to the end of his Ikelite strobes. I looked inside the arms to see if they were painted white and discovered fiber optic cables! Ingenious!

I'm not sure if Reef Photo & Video is selling fiber-optic snoots, but they are usually up for doing custom modifications. I know that I want one!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Shen's ingenious snoot system uses fiber optic cabling inside LocLine arms

#16 Alexis Golding

Alexis Golding

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hi, I think that is perfect, how is called fiber optic cable? get some number? get some specific name? where I can buy? thanks

#17 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

If you do go down the DIY route for fibre optic snoots or ring flash try and get both ends of the cut cables polished by a fibre optic engineer. Polishing the ends should maximise the output from your strobe lighting. I am just starting to gather materials for a couple of fibre optic projects

Regards

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com