• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jsnorman

jsnorman

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:52 AM

I just picked up a bargain on ebay - Aquatica 3 housings (2), and full set of ports (macro and fisheye domes), extensions and gears.  I love my D800 but I also like shooting film sometimes so I thought 

I love shooting film and thought this might be an interesting way to try film underwater.  I already have Nikon lenses so hoping I can at least use my 35mm and 50mm lenses which have all manual rings, as well as maybe the Tokina fisheye.

Does anyone still shoot film underwater?  

I cannot find much info online about shooting film underwater.  Would appreciate any advice on the following topics:

1) Any way to use modern (digital) strobes (Subtronic and Ikelite) with the Aquatica/F3?

2) Pros and cons of various film options underwater?  

Or any tips that are unique to shooting film underwater would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:57 PM

I still have some film UW gear but have not used it in a few years; none of it is Aquatica. You mainly need the right synch cable which most likely is Nikonos type on your housing - post pix if you want a better assessment. Current strobes that do TTL and take cables do Nikonos-Nikon TTL flash by default so you should be good to go strobewise. Most of the films I used have been discontinued. There maybe some ISO100 slide film from Fuji but I am not sure. There are various color negative films too. Back in the day I sent color negative film to Dale in Florida for processing and slide generation at the same time.

Tom

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Currently used housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkIII, EOS-1D MkIV, and EOS-1DX; and Nikon D3X. More or less retired: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H.

Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 200mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 60D, 150D, and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#3 onokai

onokai

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo-Diving-Tuna fishing

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:14 AM

I just picked up a bargain on ebay - Aquatica 3 housings (2), and full set of ports (macro and fisheye domes), extensions and gears.  I love my D800 but I also like shooting film sometimes so I thought 

I love shooting film and thought this might be an interesting way to try film underwater.  I already have Nikon lenses so hoping I can at least use my 35mm and 50mm lenses which have all manual rings, as well as maybe the Tokina fisheye.

Does anyone still shoot film underwater?  

I cannot find much info online about shooting film underwater.  Would appreciate any advice on the following topics:

ubtronic and Ikelite) with the Aquatica/F3?

2) Pros and cons of various film options underwater?  

Or any tips that are unique to shooting film underwater would be greatly appreciated.

Yes film still works-you can buy it at B&H on the web-I suggest 100 asa 

The best films I like where

Velvia and pro via both are 100 asa and B&H still sells this slide film

Getting it developed into slides is a bit tricky as the there are only a few labs left doing that-one is in the midwest

Prints are easy but they are prints-slide are better

You have to turn your digital stobes to manual on the stobe to shoot a Nikon F-3- Its not a TTL camera .Its best to shoot a range of F stops until you learn the right ones.

On the back of my housing you can see that small black plastic plate with the right footage and settings to shoot at various F stops

On those two housing I sold you -you will need to change the sync ports to Ikelite bulkhead connectors -you can get them from Helix in Chicago.

I shot many many hundreds of rolls thru that housing

Enjoy the old gear

I will gladly answer any questions on film for you

Subal ND30- Housing
Way to many strobes to list
 subal d300 setup with Ikelite 161 strobes
Still a film divasourus at heart in a digital world